Confirmed with Link: Braden Holtby to Dallas Stars (1 year, $2M AAV)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Kinda have to with how bad it had been previous years

memeber the Lehtonen days?

what a shit show

Again, memory fails us. For his first 7 years here, Kari was a rock on a bad team. He started to crap out the last two years, including a memorable meltdown in game 7 against the Blues, which is what most will probably remember.

7 years of a more than serviceable goalie was a pretty good investment by JN1. Unfortunately, his rep coming from ATL (o-4 in playoff games) was equally true when he got to Dallas, and he never topped a .900 save percentage.

Reactions: Elysian and Johno

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Again, memory fails us. For his first 7 years here, Kari was a rock on a bad team. He started to crap out the last two years, including a memorable melt down in game 7 against the Blues, which is what most will probably remember. 7 years of a more than serviceable goalie was a pretty good investment by JN1.

I meant post GM JN1

and more so referring to the carousel around Lehtonen

Raycroft
Nilstorp
Bachman
Lindback
Enroth
Thomas
Ellis
Niemi
Campbell*

That’s from 2011-2014

That’s why Lehtonen broke so early. We literally ran him into the ground by never giving him help

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I was hoping they'd trade for a Dustin Tokarski, Malcom Subban, Scott Wedgwood type. Honestly, I'm not sure Holtby is much better? Who knows with veteran goalies though, it wouldn't be the first time a veteran who I thought was toast somehow found a late career renaissance. He seems to still be at least half decent on the medium and low danger stuff anyways? That should fit in well with Dallas at least.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I feel like they took an opportunity to snag a goalie and are hoping a team will need on at training camp so can move Khudobin while Bishop is on LTIRetired

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Dobby was bad last year . I’d rather holtby .
Holtby was far worse. Khudobins sv % was .905, hotlby .889

Holtby was also sub .900 the previous years as well. If his name wasn't holtby, he'd be out of the league already.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Holtby was also sub .900 the previous years as well. If his name wasn't holtby, he'd be out of the league already.

To be fair Dallas defence is alot better then Van's, but yes Holtby hasnt looked the same. At least its a one year deal, and hopefully Holts can rebound

Reactions: Elysian

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Look at the defence he’s had to play with in Vancouver and in Washington . If khudobin played there he would be retired back in russia right now .

Reactions: JenniferH

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I have slept on this, and this deal is still really stupid.

From the perspective of a risk mitigating factor in case you're afraid Jake Oettinger will falter, Holtby has been bad for two year on two different teams. It's funny we've been reminiscing about Kari Lehtonen, because he played behind an awful Stars defense and never had a sub .900 save percentage in those years. Goalies who are washed put up those kinds of numbers over a season, regardless of the defense. He got absolutely spanked by Samsonov in Washington, who had a .913 to Holtby's .897 behind a very average (17th in GA) defense. Demko also beat him soundly with a .915 behind a pretty terrible Vancouver defense. He's much more likely to falter than Oettinger is.

From the perspective of covering for Bishop, this is bad because he's too expensive to bury in the AHL if need be. You'd still have a good amount of his cap hit hindering us in the NHL, and we can't afford a single dollar of it if Bishop does come back. Also, again, he's been really bad.

From the perspective of opportunity cost, this could have just as easily been a partial payment on a good forward, or just cap flexibility to call up rookies or make a trade later.

This guarantees Oettinger is stapled to the AHL (no matter what Nill has to say about him having to 'earn his spot'), because by the time that whole situation is sorted out, I don't think either veteran goalie is able to be traded. Everyone is going to have at least 2 goalies by the time training camp comes around. The smart move would have been to grab a tweener goalie off waivers that no one cared about. Someone who you can bury in the AHL if need be, but good enough to have gotten that far in training camp. Holtby has a good shot at being even worse than a lot of those goalies will be, and at $2M to boot. This season in Vancouver was supposed to be his chance at a bounceback after a really bad season in Washington, he just repeated the same thing.

Strategically, a Khudobin-Holtby tandem would be lucky to be NHL average, an Oettinger-Khudobin tandem has a shot at being above-average, assuming Oettinger improves and Khudobin isn't as bad as last year. If we trade Khudobin and we have Holtby-Oettinger, we are going to be leaning on Oettinger a ton unless Holtby really gets his shit together. This is a goalie-friendly team under a goalie-friendly system, and even then I'd have major doubts about Holtby being anything other than a liability. Hope I'm wrong, but what kind of process is your NHL team using if you grab a guy who has been this bad for two years straight under two completely different teams? Couldn't we have picked someone less risky if we were going down this road?

Edit: And here's a list of all the goalies signed so far this UFA period: Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
For those who think that Holtby has been trending downward that is truly only based on his numbers. In DC, Holtby on defense, and Ovechkin on offense were literally the only reason that the Caps were at the top of the Metropolitan division for a few years. The difference is that for offense, it helped Ovi's numbers, for defense, it hurt Holtby's because defense was so bad. Holtby just had to do his best (and he did) to keep the team in the game until they could come back and win in the 3rd period--which they did. The Caps had the best 3rd periods of any team for a couple of years. That's all because Holtby was able to keep them in the game. The defense was so very, very bad.

From the 17-18 season to his last year in DC, Holtby was among the top 3 in the league in facing high danger shots. His net was basically a dark angry red blob every night. Then he moved to Vancouver where the defense was even worse. On top of that, Holtby didn't know their system or team and there wasn't really a pre season training camp or pre-season games. When the team finally started to show halfway decent defense--because I can't stress how awful it was, and mind you, both Demko and Holts had near identical numbers in the beginning of the season even though Demko knew the system, style of play, and team better, Demko naturally was quicker to show better numbers as he knew the team/system already. Once that happened, the coach just rode Demko nonstop and Holtby would literally go 2 to 3 weeks between games. He went over a month one time without playing.

So Holtby went from the garbage fire that was the defense in D.C.* with some of the most high danger shots in the league night after night to the raging flaming garbage fire that is the defense in Vancouver and more of the most high danger shots in the league.

* Naturally under the new coach the season after Holtby left, their defense is much better.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to come to Dallas and be a top-notch, Vezina goalie from the start, but he's a much better goaltender than his numbers indicate.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
If I know one thing about goalies it's that you can only start one at a time
see, it's this sort of negative, in the box thinking that holds us back. open your mind to new possibilities. imagine if one goalie stayed in net, and the other posted up behind it? net goalie never has to go retrieve pucks! that alone could save at least 3 goals a season.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
We're gonna have to start talking about hockey like we do about soccer. Are we doing a 2-1-3 or a 2-2-2 formation? I think our d-men are pretty good, so I vote 2 goalies, 2 d-men, 2 forwards. Still, 2 G, 1D, and 3F seems more fun.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
if i were dallas i would simply fill the net with players so the puck can't cross the goal line.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
So what are the goalie plans for Dallas? Is Bishop still expected not to play? Will it be a Holtby/Khudobin tandem or will Oettinger get one of these spots?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So what are the goalie plans for Dallas? Is Bishop still expected not to play? Will it be a Holtby/Khudobin tandem or will Oettinger get one of these spots?

Bishops health is not looking good . Might never play again . The other 3 ? Well goaltending ( and injuries but mostly goaltending because with better goalies they still would've made it ) cost the team the playoffs last season so they needed a change.

Last edited:

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The math checks out on Holtby improving in Dallas if he gets reps.

VAN/WSH averaged significantly more shots against in the games Holtby played than goalies have had to deal with in Dallas. Specifically Khudobin.

Reactions: JenniferH

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Bishops health is not looking good . Might never play again . The other 3 ? Well goaltending ( and injuries but mostly goaltending because with better goalies they still would've made it ) cost the team the playoffs last season so they needed a change.

One goaltender, Khudobin... Otter had a great season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
One goaltender, Khudobin... Otter had a great season.

It was a good rookie season but his play on breakaways and in OT and the shootout left alot to be desired. Not faulting him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad