Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you're saying a 10.5M x 5yrs would be bad when we signed him for almost $11M x 6yrs?
Yes, 10.55m x 5 years would be worse than 10.9m x 6 years. Historically, an extra year for a post-ELC contract would be worth more than 0.004% of the cap, and it would have been extra bad for us because it would have put Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all due for raises at the same time.
yet you come up with fantastical numbers that don't make sense.
They're not fantastical. It's what was rumoured, and as I showed, it makes a ton of sense.
Why would a team pay him more than McDavid got with one less year after McDavid signed his 8yr deal?
Because they were trying to steal a player away from a team by overpaying them, not signing a player years prior under a lower cap that publicly gave one of the biggest discounts in NHL history. It still would have been a lower cap hit percentage than McDavid anyway.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm having a very hard time visualizing this - it's entirely dependent on spending the Marner money properly elsewhere, and I just don't think we have the right people running the team to make those smart decisions.
I think Treliving deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point. The reality is that it may take a couple more years to get the lineup he wants.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Well, we don't know who the coach is.

We do know the GM likes tall defenders, defenders who can skate.

This is a stretch, but marner money (next ask) could likely be enough to get Lindholm and Zadorov. Using as example only. Neither one is a star, but both bring needed abilities. And both have the current GM's blessing.

I don't think that would make the team worse.
I like the idea in theory, but as always, depends entirely on what sort of deals they get - time will tell, but I just don't trust Treliving with spending money and getting sensible value out of free agency

I think Treliving deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point. The reality is that it may take a couple more years to get the lineup he wants.
Which is the issue - Matthews is 27 next season. He and Nylander are in their primes. They don't have "a couple more years to get the lineup" right. It needs to be now

Reactions: sunstersun

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Which is the issue - Matthews is 27 next season. He and Nylander are in their primes. They don't have "a couple more years to get the lineup" right. It needs to be now
They have 4 more years with Matthews. It's a pretty long window.

Reactions: Confucius

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not at all.

Bruins don't have marner, heck, they have less talent than the Leafs and yet they ruffle marner's hair each time they meet.

Leafs could lose a marner trade, but make the team better. Maybe they aren't the one of the highest scoring teams.

A reallocation of marner money is the goal, perhaps Tavares money would be better and a new coach that insulates marner, so he gets less attention.

I'm not sold on marner nor Tavares being moved.
Would not be surprised with "new coach will be given the opportunity" to better utilize the talent.
You can’t insulate 11 million.

A new coach might make a slight difference but 53% of the cap allocated to four forwards makes it extremely tough to fill all the holes.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
And our highest producing player in the playoffs through this era

Which is really nothing to be proud of considering how this core has performed in the playoffs overall. It's been clear for years now that these stars together cannot get it done, so to keep running it back yet again - especially after insisting just last week that "everything is on the table", clearly implying "everyone" - is insane.

And as has been pointed out repeatedly, the Leafs cap allocation has been a proven disaster for post-season success when depth & goaltending become critical to success (along with special teams but that's another discussion)

They need a change, and whatever you may think about Marner's contribution he's the one without an extension and therefore the most realistic option to move.

(Tavares also, but he's likely back for his final year before departing, then this team can hopefully find the right combination to win.)

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When his short extension was announced most speculated it would take two more years to build a contender coinciding with JTs contract expiring.
They have to start today by adding pieces that will be ready to compete in 2025/26 with 2026/27 being the yr they go on a run.

Next three yrs could be miss the playoffs, win two rounds, win three rounds and it’s a success, imo.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
When his short extension was announced most speculated it would take two more years to build a contender coinciding with JTs contract expiring.
They have to start today by adding pieces that will be ready to compete in 2025/26 with 2026/27 being the yr they go on a run.

Next three yrs could be miss the playoffs, win two rounds, win three rounds and it’s a success, imo.
This team will make the playoffs pretty easily no matter what.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
people want to change everything but for me the only guy in best of world who will move should be tavares..

Remove tavares and exemple sign Skjei+Pesce like 12 M ( basically the same cap hit of JT). Leafs is not the same team anymore

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This team will make the playoffs pretty easily no matter what.
Maybe, but more important than making the playoffs next year is finding top 4 D and top 6 forwards over the next 18 months. They can easily build the bottom of the roster.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Next year is a write-off, making this window a 3-year window starting in October 2025.

The clock is ticking in a hurry for a team that requires major surgery on multiple different fronts. Only gets more complicated if there's a change in president next summer.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
people want to change everything but for me the only guy in best of world who will move should be tavares..

Remove tavares and exemple sign Skjei+Pesce like 12 M ( basically the same cap hit of JT). Leafs is not the same team anymore
Which team that Tavares is willing to waive to go to is willing to take his full cap hit? Answer: none.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Local guy, heavily involved in the community, with a young new family, who never takes playing for Toronto or being a captain here for granted?

I'd say there's like a 1% chance that Tavares even considers waiving.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Next year is a write-off, making this window a 3-year window starting in October 2025.

The clock is ticking in a hurry for a team that requires major surgery on multiple different fronts. Only gets more complicated if there's a change in president next summer.
I'm not ready to say that next year is a write-off. I suspect that we will see at least one very large contract removed from this lineup.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

How is next year a write-off? The job is on Treliving to find value elsewhere.

Florida had 6.5 million in dead cap last year and made it to the finals because they had value in other players.

It is Treliving's job to find that.

He's made it harder with the signings of Kampf/Reaves, but he has lots of cap to work with.

William Johnson

Jan 8, 2012
I know somebody who would know the details much better than just rumors on the internet. Trust me...he was not offered 7x$13M. It was an offer below the threshold of 4 1st rd picks and it was for 7yrs which was never even presented to him because Ferris wanted 4 or 5yrs. He was always going to sign here...he just squeezed MLSE for as much as he could and it worked. There were no other teams involved...that is just the noise that Ferris put out there to scare Dubas...and it worked.
I've already posted on this before, and had private conversations about this, too, with some of you...so I just would like to reiterate that until someone shows me a source other than Marner and Ferris about supposed offer sheets, I will not consider this as 'confirmed' one way or another. I would assume it remains a standard part of the agent toolkit to orchestrate, inflate or even invent offers -- at least it was in my day when I knew about these things first hand.

I would suspect Dubas and Marner remain keen to keep the details from public view -- the general consensus about the contract among pundits and fans alike is negative, I think it's fair to say. It's the main reason we'll likely be seeing Marner in another uniform next year, like it or not. That said, some people know the truth of these things and I'm actually mildly surprised we don't have a more on-the-record third party account of the supposed offer sheets outside of the Marner camp.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
And our highest producing player in the playoffs through this era, while bringing beneficial things outside of production that go underappreciated.
Looking strictly at points is a terrible way to evaluate one’s playoff performances.

He piled on points in the first round last year in some blowout games.

Was non existent for at least 3 playoff seasons

What big plays/moments has he had in the postseason?

He’s just not cut out to play postseason hockey.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You are kidding, right.
This team can score, but no guts in playoffs. Terrible game planning by coaching staff. . Replace Mitchy with a top dman, a little more grit and goaltending, equals Cup
Maybe in the regular season but who cares about that. Mitchy for a puck moving dman who can also play defensively in his own end (unlike Rielly who can leave too) plus more grit makes me happy.

You can still have balance with that setup, just like we did under Dubas.

Positions are not the same. Defense and goaltending are important. But throwing huge money at nonexistent elite players in those positions is not the only way to be good at those positions.
How do you throw huge money at a player who is non existent ? This is way too theoretical for me.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
He has no choice but to free up 2 of the 11+ contracts.
Tavares will expire and then find the best deal for one of the other three.
Marner and Tavares’ contracts expire at the same time and neither will be offered another contract by the Leafs so we know where this is going.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I really can’t see A M ever leaving, after all 5 years from now he will be looking at having an entire career as the greatest Leaf ever, Cup or no Cup. Although I’m sure he’d love to win one.

As for Brad well he did fire Keefe even after extending him. lol! It’s still a plus, I’m easy to please.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Glass half full it’s a retool.

Willy and Matthews stay and they can, Mo as well.

Mitch has to go but money comes back but not a ton maybe to free up 4.5-6 in cap, a few other guys like Brodie and Bertuzzi go there’s 10 but it’s a really about goal. Can Woll start 50 games without getting hurt?

JT for like 7/3 is fine but he’s not getting more from me.
JT will be crawling after year 2 of a new contract. Why bother ?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad