Reactions: LeafSteel

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They should have won the first round, but there was no urgency early in that series, however if they kept the same schedule as Boston/Florida, they likely would be finished by now.
Realistically Leafs didn't have really good odds against either Boston to Florida because both of those teams have elite top 3 goaltending,

1715611599765.png

"Good teams are built from the goalie out .... "

I am really looking forward to see whom BT will be bringing in this year to play alongside Woll as Leafs goalies in 2024-25.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Realistically Leafs didn't have really good odds against either Boston to Florida because both of those teams have elite top 3 goaltending,

View attachment 869852

I am really looking forward to see whom BT will be bringing in this year to play alongside Woll as Leafs goalies in 2024-25.
Boston lost 2 top centers in the offseason but still managed to beat us because they are built from the net out.

Build a solid D core with good goalies, strong North/South style with 1 or 2 stars and go.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You can't hang out with a tough guy and become tougher, it's either in you or it isn't.
Freddie The Goat was 6'5 240lbs and he was as dangerous as my 12 year old son.

No chance Lily suddenly grows balls, this is who he is.
Agree. He only played because he’s a RD and better than Brodie who has fallen off a cliff. They drafted a lot of similar smaller, soft supposedly skilled players under Dubas who will never be contributors on a cup contender. You can’t waste high round picks on those type of players.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
And hope that the guy sucking the 13.5 million cap hit learns how to play hockey. I’m not convinced that will happen.
69 goals, won game two himself, got hurt and wasn’t a factor the rest of the series. He won the Rocket for the third time, nominated for the Selke and Ted Lindsay by his peers. My criticism of him is he won’t fight or fight back like Pasternak, Kucherov or MacKinnon but no player is perfect so you build a team around him that takes care of the other stuff which Tre has started to do. 6’3” centres who score like he does and play a 200 foot game don’t grow on trees. The core five has been a failure. Fair enough. But he’s 26 years old and has the talent and drive to be a big part of playoff contender with a more complete team around him.

Reactions: Kazparov and weems

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You don't spend 40.4 AAV on 4 forwards. No money left for D or G. NO ONE DOES THIS BUT THE LEAFS.

Next year it's 46.65 on 4 forwards, no D/G.

View attachment 869761

Dubas is ridiculous to think this is a well constructed plan.

This is his design and his failure.

FAILURE BY DESIGN.

It is a failure to spend that much money on 4 forwards. LET ALONE THESE 4 forwards !

Comedy level construction from a newbie GM.

It's great Shanny gave Kyle and Keefe their first jobs. Cool story bro. But it was a catastrophic failure. What kind of President would do that ? A rookie president like Shanny.
Dubas was bad but his overpayments on the four only consumed 49% of the cap and barring a trade Treliving overpayments will consume 53% of the cap.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Dubas was bad but his overpayments on the four only consumed 49% of the cap and barring a trade Treliving overpayments will consume 53% of the cap.
I'm not saying that Tre has done awesome. But you're comparing UFAs vs RFAs coming off their ELC. Dubas was much worse. Nylander doesn't deserve the $11.5 but the other choice was to let him hit free agency. I mean do you let both Marner and Nylander walk? I think overpaying Nylander can be justified. Doesn't mean I like it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

View attachment 869852

References Winnipeg, a team who did worse than the Leafs...

Colorado won with .900 goaltending.

This is always said by you and always wrong, there are multiple ways to build a team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dubas trash pile was Tre’s cross to bear.

When Marner is traded all will be well.
Dubas left the cupboard bare and that’s a bigger issue. You have to build your team from the draft and fill in pieces through FA. It will be a little better with Marner’s AAV gone, but the 25 million on the other two players probably makes it all moot.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So many analytical fans hated the idea of Zadarov. That's why they don't understand hockey.

Exactly!

If you just ignore past seasons and his 25% shooting percentage, you'll realize that he has always and will always be playing at this level.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We did the same thing as everybody else, building around our top players. The only difference is that the league ran into an unexpected multi-year flat cap right after we signed all of ours, which has kept the percentage elevated.

Really? That's the only difference?

Please list all the other teams that tied up all that money in four FORWARDS.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I see Bobrovsky as the guy that likely costs Florida the Cup. Sure they can beat Boston now because they're the better team, but when they face the New York Rangers who have a legit star goalie, I'm not sure Bob level goaltending is going to cut it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boston lost 2 top centers in the offseason but still managed to beat us because they are built from the net out.

Build a solid D core with good goalies, strong North/South style with 1 or 2 stars and go.
Leafs had 2 X $11 + mil centres and they only contributed 1 goal each in the series. (Matthews injury notwithstanding)

Eastern Conference final standings sorted by least goals against. Check out the teams in the final 4 in the East.. The defense rest your honour.

1715619538112.png

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
When Dubas paid Marner the $11 million, had any other team offer sheeted that to Marner, the Leafs would have been compensated with 4 first round picks. I can safely tell you now, I would have taken the picks.

Now, the best I see for us is Tre letting Marner walk for nothing. Certainly beats paying him. If Tre somehow manages to trade Marner, knowing you have to deal with him directly because of the NMC, knowing he's going to probably demand in the $12 - $13 million range or more because its Marner, and he actually gets a decent return in trade, he should win executive of the year. That would be more impressive than unloading Phaneuf.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Ask Canucks fans about physicality, Zadarov has been an absolute STUD this playoffs , recall all the Dubas lovers saying he was a borderline NHLer. Perhaps a pickleball forum to contribute their sport acumen…

Why trade a 3rd & a 5th for Zadorov when you can trade a 3rd & a 6th for Boosh and a 3rd & a 5th for Edmundson? :naughty:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Why trade a 3rd & a 5th for Zadorov when you can trade a 3rd & a 6th for Boosh and a 3rd & a 5th for Edmundson? :naughty:

Yeah but Zadorov was acquired much earlier, so you'd end up having way more games with him. By cleverly waiting, the Leafs got to hold onto these picks a few months longer and then get not one, but two inferior players for twice the price.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad