Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Pending any other signings, he'll be tied for 6th highest next year.

He was top ten this year, even playing mainly on the second and third lines, with Tavares usually his best linemate.
You truly believe Nylander was a top 10 forward this year? I get he was #10 in points but all of Hughes, Crosby, Kaprizov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Aho, Larkin, Tkachuk, Pettersson, Barkov, Point were better than him.

He's got a decent track record of finding hidden gems in Calgary.

Adam Fox, Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Dustin Wolf in the draft in the later rounds.
Those are all draft picks though. That’s not what we were talking about. The conversation was around trades/signings.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Mitch needs to be SAT or TRADED his choice .. JT needs to sit on LTIR or TRADED or SAT so we can build a team like Tampa and Vegas did his choice .. bottom line these are da 2 big events that will define Tre .. after Shanny/Keefer are canned .. playing around with any of these decisions by board will only mean next year is a complete waste of time for all involved .. time to step up Larry .. there is no need for post exit interviews .. everyone is trying their best
Simply sitting JT would accomplish nothing as his contract would still be on the books. You'll have to ride out his last year, but try like hell to find a way to move Mitch this summer.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You don't have a choice.

Everything we do is with WN and AM. MR JT and MM are basically shot in the POs. Its dead cap wasted completely. Keefe and the rest of coaching need gone. Shanny too.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Brad has managed to emulate the same result of a 1st round loss that the greatest GM, to have ever GM'd the Leafs managed to achieve in his first season.

If he can somehow keep up the insatiable levels of performance shown by the best GM we have ever had, we could see 2nd round action as early as the 28/29 season.

A lot of luck will have to fall Brad's way to match such high levels, but we do owe it to him to try.

• Haha
Reactions: IPS and thewave

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was hoping Brad would do in less than a year on the job what it took Kyle to do in 5 and without mortgaging the future. Time to fire your next bullet Brad and remove the rookie coach hired by the rookie GM. 5 and 14 at home in the playoffs but, but he has a better regular season winning percentage than Scotty Bowman. Some posters kill me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's got a decent track record of finding hidden gems in Calgary.

Adam Fox, Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Dustin Wolf in the draft in the later rounds.

But where is the success? That's the issue, those players have not translated into winning.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You truly believe Nylander was a top 10 forward this year? I get he was #10 in points but all of Hughes, Crosby, Kaprizov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Aho, Larkin, Tkachuk, Pettersson, Barkov, Point were better than him.

Those are all draft picks though. That’s not what we were talking about. The conversation was around trades/signings.

He drafted a Norris winner and some decent pieces outside of the first round. I’d take that as a positive any way you want to nitpick.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I didn’t say he was particularly successful.

He has the same level of success that Dubas had, so that should be how successful you think he is.

Every team can point out a few guys that were developed or drafted late, normally ours gets attributed to the scouting department and not the GM though for some reason.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He has the same level of success that Dubas had, so that should be how successful you think he is.

Every team can point out a few guys that were developed or drafted late, normally ours gets attributed to the scouting department and not the GM though for some reason.

No one brought up Kyle Dubas.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You truly believe Hughes, Crosby, Kaprizov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Aho, Larkin, Tkachuk, Pettersson, Barkov, Point were all better than him?

Which missed the point anyway.

Reactions: Menzinger

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No one brought up Kyle Dubas.

I am just pointing out some GMs are praised for their drafting, while others, the scouting department are.

Like other GMs, I am not sure that Treliving is that involved with picks outside the first round.

If he hired the scouting department in Calgary, hopefully, he can bring some over here and they can work with Wes.

As far as Dubas, I was pointing out someone who has the same success and is often said to be a failure.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Treliving resume suggests he can’t build a good team and I won’t be thrilled if he’s given the chance to restructure the Leafs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
At the end of the day, this was the worst version of the Leafs team we've seen in years, in both the regular season and playoffs. That's all I have to say about that.
Lol no. The 2020 team that lost to Columbus in 5 games still takes that cake.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Why were they all better?

Just curious.
I would go player by player if I was by my computer but all players listed were better than Nylander either a. their defensive impact outweighs the gap in production (Reinhart, Barkov, Tkachuk), b. they lead their team in points and would most likely have more points than Nylander on the Leafs (Kaprizov, Crosby, Forsberg, Hughes), c. they are probably equally impactful but they play C (Larkin, Aho, Point, Pettersson)

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
2nd time GM’s can go either way. There rep can take a hit or they can improve there image. Did they learn from past mistakes or are they doomed to repeat it. I’m willing to give Treliving a chance and not write him off after one year.

So far he’s not off to the best start to show he’s learned from past mistakes. We’ll see how everything plays out but if they leafs did decide to clean house in the front office I wouldn’t be upset if they let him go and started fresh with everyone.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Treliving resume suggests he can’t build a good team and I won’t be thrilled if he’s given the chance to restructure the Leafs.
He was hired as a "Yes-Man" without an actual GM search last summer.

He will absolutely be given time to structure the Leafs. Biggest fear is he turns us into Calgary - there's a reason they wanted no part of him at the end.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
At the end of the day, this was the worst version of the Leafs team we've seen in years, in both the regular season and playoffs. That's all I have to say about that.
I enjoyed this version of the Leafs much more than past teams. They actually showed some fight. These guys just don’t have it in them, it’s a shame really.

Reactions: Brad C

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He drafted a Norris winner and some decent pieces outside of the first round. I’d take that as a positive any way you want to nitpick.
I agree that’s a positive but is that more so on who he hired as a head scout or the players he scouted himself? Either way he gets credit but he hasn’t picked the head scout in Toronto.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad