Brad Shaw named assistant coach

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...kers/2016/06/jackets-make-offer-to-coach.html

A source told The Dispatch late Monday that former NHL defenseman Brad Shaw, who stepped down last month after 10 seasons with the St. Louis Blues, is mulling an offer to join the Blue Jackets.

A second source indicated the same this morning.

Shaw has interviewed with at least five NHL clubs and is said to be considering offers from more than one team. It's unclear if there's a deadline for him to make a decision.

The Blue Jackets could woo him to Columbus by offering him the position of associate coach, which carries a higher salary than assistant. Shaw was associate coach under Ken Hitchcock in St. Louis since the 2012-13 season.

The Blue Jackets would not comment on the report. Shaw did not immediately respond to a message from The Dispatch seeking comment.

Sources told The Dispatch that former NHL defenseman and Minnesota Wild assistant coach Darryl Sydor also has interviewed with the Blue Jackets. Tortorella was coach of Tampa Bay in 2004 when Sydor and the Lightning won the Stanley Cup.

Also interviewed were Jared Bednar, coach of the Blue Jackets’ AHL affiliate in Lake Erie, which just won the Calder Cup; and Nolan Pratt, a former NHL defenseman who is Bednar’s assistant in Lake Erie.

Shaw is known for his hard-nosed, plain-spoken approach. Under his guidance, the Blues have had one of the NHL’s top penalty kills, not to mention a strong group of home-grown defensemen.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Shaw is known for his hard-nosed, plain-spoken approach

When we get normal American GM?:( I wonder why we need another hard nosed plain spoken ass.co here if our HC is right same person. Here so much youngsters now and to buffer Tortorella we need really another psychological type of assistant coach ( something "mommy" type) . We need a counterbalance to Torts, I really don't bother about our PK, it'll be our smallest problem if our young players are constantly distressed ( and PoolParty will be distressed anyway because his English isn't perfect yet)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
When we get normal American GM?:( I wonder why we need another hard nosed plain spoken ass.co here if our HC is right same person. Here so much youngsters now and to buffer Tortorella we need really another psychological type of assistant coach ( something "mommy" type) . We need a counterbalance to Torts, I really don't bother about our PK, it'll be our smallest problem if our young players are constantly distressed ( and PoolParty will be distressed anyway because his English isn't perfect yet)

Making all that money in the NHL would certainly distress me! :sarcasm::laugh:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Given the youth on our Blue line I think this is a great hire. He guided most of the blues backend into what it is today and if he can do that with Jones, Werenski, and Murray we will be playing for cups sooner than later.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Losing Bednar would not be good. I guess they could always bring him back at a higher position when he gets more experience.

I did question his use of lines a few times in the Calder but.. his team seemed to respond well for him s what do I know

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Bednar may be interviewing for an assistant job in Calgary.

If the Jackets lose him, I'll be pretty unhappy.

I'd like to keep him, but if he gets a job in the NHL, good for him. It is just unrealistic to expect any team to be able to keep good, young coaches for a long time. They are going to get opportunities to move up the ranks from other teams eventually.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
If Shaw has been hired why has there been no press conference or announcement from the team. Again this is Porty jumping the gun, where are the facts.

Bednra may be interviewing with Calgary, according to who, link please.

All speculation and no proof.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If Shaw has been hired why has there been no press conference or announcement from the team. Again this is Porty jumping the gun, where are the facts. .

The Jackets are pretty focused on the draft. I am guessing they will introduce him the same time they bring their 1st round pick to Columbus to meet the press.

They published the story in the paper yesterday and nobody from the Jackets called BS.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
When have the Jackets hired a coach and not made an announcement, they always do. As for the not calling BS, they almost never do.

The paper is like the internet, don't always believe what you read. Again it is Porty, go look at the website the article looks to have been removed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When have the Jackets hired a coach and not made an announcement, they always do. As for the not calling BS, they almost never do.

The paper is like the internet, don't always believe what you read. Again it is Porty, go look at the website the article looks to have been removed.

Nobody does press conferences announcing assistant coaches or introducing assistant coaches. Show me where we introduced Todd Richards as an assistant to Scott Arniel. Show me Larsen's presser, show me Hartsberg's. You can't, because they don't happen.

It'll probably be something very briefly mentioned either after the draft or on July 1 where jarmo does his yearly July 1 presser.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Haha I think it's hilarious that people are raging at Portzline over an assistant coach hiring. He gets plenty of other things wrong to deserve the vitriol.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
On the surface this is a pretty big step up from Hartsburg. I think we're gonna see a different beast on the back-end next season. Between Shaw and Torts I expect big things from Murray and Jones next season. I could see Jones taking that next step. His play didnt really falter at all with the increased minutes. Get a guy like Shaw helping Jones, Werenski and Murray... man the sky is the limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad