Brad Marchand dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No, he hits him on the left leg. Many people have pointed it out in this thread. Just look closely and you'll see that.
At this point who cares what leg he grabbed, whether it was right or left. The fact that he dropped like he was shot is pathetic for little Bradley. Was there a sniper in section 215?

Romanian judge gave the dive a 8.5.

Bruins fans in the crowd thought it was "Wicked Ahsome"

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I can't stand Marchand, but there are lots of people who both don't know right from left (or need glasses) and have never had someone even push on the back of your knee gently when you aren't expecting it in here.

Again, I can't stand Marchand, but this wasn't a dive, he didn't grab the "wrong leg," and it should have been a 5-on-3 for Boston unless the national broadcast totally missed whatever it was that Coyle got called for "roughing" for by being punched in the mouth while standing with his arms down.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
While it wasn't the most vicious slash, getting hit in the back of the leg with a hockey stick can sting quite a bit, especially when it's what looks like was very high on the lower leg, just below the back of his knee. That said, I'm not going to pretend like he didn't try to sell the call, but if the standard of enforcement is to call embellishment every time a player tries to sell a call, we'd see a whole heck of a lot more embellishment calls. All that said, they could have called it embellishment. I've just seen a lot worse, is all I'm trying to say here.

Reactions: wintersej

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No way Bruins fans are comparing Marchand rolling around on the ground like a soccer star to Tavares getting pushed from behind and… standing up immediately? lmao.
Did Treliving paraglide down to ice level to see if Tavares was okay like Dubas?

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Whether I am a fan of the Leafs (I am not) or not, hockey is, among the major sports, a game with a certain degree of honour and gentlemaniness. Very happy to see things like playoff handshakes, etc. The athletes by and large conduct themselves much more professionally than the thugs you see in basketball or football. The fact that we have a trophy for gentlemanly conduct speaks to the general integrity of the game of hockey.

Which is why as a hockey fan, I found Marchand's antics despicable, and particularly as the captain of his team, he has much more of an ambassadorial role to fill, and quite a bit of that is predicated by leading by example. He certainly did no favours for both his detractors and fans alike. I certainly get that drawing penalties is part of the game, but there are ways to do that, that are in line with the spirit of the game, rather than bush league antics. This is one of the reasons I cannot stomach soccer in any spectator form. There are quite a few Bruins players who would not be caught doing this in a million years. I am sure they are not exactly proud of their "leader" today.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
There was a slash to an unprotected part of the body. He obviously sold it. They could have given him an embellishment, sure. They also gave Coyle a penalty for existing so it all evened out.
I've seen this said a couple times. Coyle punches/jabs him a couple times and deserved the roughing just as much as Lyub did. Agreed if Coyle stopped initially, should've been a 5-3. But the couples hooks he gave are going to be called everytime. Especially if they're already taking two of Torontos.

Far from "only existing:" lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I've seen this said a couple times. Coyle punches/jabs him a couple times and deserved the roughing just as much as Lyub did. Agreed if Coyle stopped initially, should've been a 5-3. But the couples hooks he gave are going to be called everytime. Especially if they're already taking two of Torontos.

I still don’t see any reason why Coyle and the guy whose name I can’t spell earned the same penalties. That being said, the Bruins still had a pp here and still didn’t do Jack shit with it, so i fully recognize that the Bruins have but themselves to blame

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
At this point who cares what leg he grabbed, whether it was right or left. The fact that he dropped like he was shot is pathetic for little Bradley. Was there a sniper in section 215?

Romanian judge gave the dive a 8.5.

Bruins fans in the crowd thought it was "Wicked Ahsome"
After a group of people blindly jumped on the "oooh oooh ohhh, he grabbed the wrong leg" dumbass train, now that it's clear he did not it evolves to "doesn't matter, he dove".

Well two can play that game. I guess Tavares dove when little Matt Gryzlek gave him a light crosscheck in the back, right?

Bottom line is two vets made sure they got the call.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
After a group of people blindly jumped on the "oooh oooh ohhh, he grabbed the wrong leg" dumbass train, now that it's clear he did not it evolves to "doesn't matter, he dove".

Well two can play that game. I guess Tavares dove when little Matt Gryzlek gave him a light crosscheck in the back, right?

Bottom line is two vets made sure they got the call.
You do realize one guy just got knocked down and got straight up, no more no less while the other rolled around soccer / LeBron James style?

You do also realize the above sounds exactly like whining?

Last edited by a moderator:

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
It's a horrible look for a captain, especially the captain of an original 6 franchise. It seems like the rest of the Bruins are following his lead, lots of diving, whining and crying through 2 games. Guys snapping their heads back if someone gets too close, guys taking leaps if someones stick checking. He's a big reason why their franchise went from excellence into whatever this clown show is now. Bergeron and Chara were loved and respected league wide, this guy has made a mockery out of the franchise, not a leader and it's straight up pathetic for the captain of a team to be behaving that way, especially in the playoffs.
Hahaha only to you bud. I’m sure no one playing has even thought twice about it since. Every team has guys that embellish.

Marchand is definitely a leader, plays the game hard and sets an example for how to play on his team. No one actually important to the outcome of this series cares he sold a slash for 10 seconds.

FYI I’m cheering for the leafs.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You do realize one guy just got knocked down and got straight up, no more no less while the other rolled around soccer / LeBron James style?

Tavares got up, of course he did, the play was still going at the time.

Anyway, here, I'll save us all from the equivalent thread and just describe how ridiculous this whole thing is:

A thread..."Tavares went down so easy and he even fell in the wrong direction."

Followed by 100+ posts ragging on Tavares for falling down in the wrong direction

Leaf fans start piping up to show that Tavares did not actually fall in the wrong direction, and they are correct in their assessment.

"But he still fell"

That's it, that's the thread.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Your choice -- Bertuzzi hacks you in back of leg with stick, or Matt Gryzlek gives you (a guy who outweighs him by 30+ lbs) a routine crosscheck/push to the back.

1) Which will hurt more?
2) Which will cause you to go down?

Don't be obtuse just because it's fun to hate Marchand. Or at least if you are going to do it, show a speck of credibility.

Or you could go the "OOOOH OOOOH OOOOH he grabbed the wrong leg......" route. Just don't expect MENSA to call you with an invite to the club.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Your choice -- Bertuzzi hacks you in back of leg with stick, or Matt Gryzlek gives you (a guy who outweighs him by 30+ lbs) a routine crosscheck/push to the back.

1) Which will hurt more?
2) Which will cause you to go down?

Don't be obtuse just because it's fun to hate Marchand. Or at least if you are going to do it, show a speck of credibility.

Or you could go the "OOOOH OOOOH OOOOH he grabbed the wrong leg......" route. Just don't expect MENSA to call you with an invite to the club.
Crosscheck is a gross exaggeration. Hell, saying push even overstates the contact. I'd call it more of a lean.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I mean, if you want to give Coyle another 2 for that, Lyub deserves a double minor. The initial big hit and then they both had a couple of minor shots afterwards. But what Coyle did (and Lyub did after the initial shot) was happening almost after every whistle.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
toronto is undisciplined. why is bertuzzi going out of his way and making a show of slashing the guy.. just terrible and stupid from bertuzzi, gotta be smarter.. could have been 5-3, i think refs bailed leafs out, by giving coyle a penalty.. coyle pushed, but thats nothing more then a battle in front of the net, whistle goes and he gets punched in the head.. again pretty blatant by lybuskin.

if leafs want to play chippy, they have to be a bit sneakier about it.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Tavares went down easy = smart play by him

marchand dove = smart play by him

Not complicated imo. Cant wait for some real fireworks to pop off in this series bc yall are chompin at the bit to talk some shit and I am here for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad