Player Discussion Brad Malone

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I might have missed it, but I didn't see a thread for Malone. Bad penalty aside last night, he brings a solid physical element to the 4th line. If he can keep the bad penalties in check and provide us with quality PKing as well, he is a solid 4th line option for us. Archibald-Malone-Kassian is a line that can really bring the pain to the opposition when they are all playing for keeps. I love our 4th line actually having an identity vs. being a bunch of cast-offs that can't cut it in the top 9.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hes a good 4th line center or 13th forward. I've been impressed but wish he didnt show his frustration last night on the goal against and taking a penalty. Compounding mistakes is never good. If he can clean that up he has a spot for me.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FacetheTruth

Mar 6, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I like the physical element for sure which is needed. Fairly smart player as well that Woodcroft has used on the PK.…..just wish his foot speed was NHL level. I would not be very forgiving on that penalty last night and would sit him next game. He only played 5min Even Strength and almost cost the team a 2 goal lead.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I like the energy he brings to the lineup. Aside from staying a bit more disciplined (randomly hitting Sergachev after the bolts scored), he's been great. Him and Kassian need to bring that constant forechecking consistently. Make life annoying for the opposition when they have the puck.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Physical limitations will keep him from being any more than a few games run of the mill 4th liner (of which we have many) however he is smart enough t do something when given the chance and put into the lineup. Get yourself noticed and do it in a physical nasty way and it helps you alot and is something this team needs

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Has been a present surprise. Solid depth player who knows his role. Physical play comes with a goal and an assist in 5 games.

Griffith has earned a call up and an extended audition. I'm disappointed he hasn't gotten a shot with all the injuries.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At some point the issue withy the fourth line will be cost. With everyone healthy the top 9 is going to get far too much of the 5 vs 5 time to justify paying much more than league minimum for 4th liners. The cost needs to be $3M or less. That means that you cannot have two guys like Kassian/ Foegele on your fourth line if your top 9 consists of something like

Hyman McDavid Yamamoto
Kane Draisaitl McLeod
Holloway Nuge Puljujarvi

Malone will be cheap. That makes him more attractive than his skill set may alone. Benson has developed a bit of an agitator style.

Benson Malone Ryan

costs you about $2.8M.

Reactions: AT14C

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean he’s been ok, but I don’t think he brings much more than what we already have.

The being said he seems to bring a bit more physicality and grit which might be useful.

Personally 3 players on our bottom 6 don’t belong on an NHL roster, Malone included.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hes a good 4th line center or 13th forward. I've been impressed but wish he didnt show his frustration last night on the goal against and taking a penalty. Compounding mistakes is never good. If he can clean that up he has a spot for me.
I kind of loved that play where he smoked Sergachev, and then Archie came in with the flying slam. Sure it was a penalty, but good teams with character will kill those off every time. And it was just an extension of our physical play, which really set the Bolts back on their heels. Been far too long since we've had a game like this one. When you're playing aggressive and not taking shit, these things will happen. Of course, if they happen every game by the same guy, that might be a bit of a problem. Loving the way he's playing and sending some messages. Sometimes a penalty like that helps set or continue a tone for the rest of the game, so short term bad, long term, good.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Seeing that ill-advised penalty Saturday was a big reminder of what got him shipped out last time. On occasion he does something stupid like that. I liked how he kept that out of his game in the first 4, but that penalty on Saturday is precisely the type of play that loses games for teams.

You're up 2-0 and dominating the Cup champs with them showing virtually nothing and you get a zone start with a faceoff in the offensive zone. 21 seconds later it's now 2-1 and you're on the penalty kill and you've just got the Cup Champs bench amped up.

Kudos to the PK to kill it (though you could argue the PP just couldn't hit the net on their best chances) and then Draisaitl gets it back a bit later so ultimately no damage done, but that could have been devastating.

I've liked his game generally, but he can't do stupid stuff like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: oljimmy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After hearing Desharnais interview on Friday I can really see why Bugsy is with the club. Yes Bugsy is his nickname.

The way Desharnais explained Malone's leadership and how he would make a point of talking to the young players on a consistent basis is why coaches like him. Malone was also a go to between the coaches and players. Especially the younger players that were afraid to bring up their concerns when they didn't quite understand what the coaches were asking for.

Maybe Malone ends up in the pressbox, but I really doubt he is sent back to the AHL anytime soon.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seeing that ill-advised penalty Saturday was a big reminder of what got him shipped out last time. On occasion he does something stupid like that. I liked how he kept that out of his game in the first 4, but that penalty on Saturday is precisely the type of play that loses games for teams.

You're up 2-0 and dominating the Cup champs with them showing virtually nothing and you get a zone start with a faceoff in the offensive zone. 21 seconds later it's now 2-1 and you're on the penalty kill and you've just got the Cup Champs bench amped up.

Kudos to the PK to kill it (though you could argue the PP just couldn't hit the net on their best chances) and then Draisaitl gets it back a bit later so ultimately no damage done, but that could have been devastating.

I've liked his game generally, but he can't do stupid stuff like that.
Whatever, one push while going to the bench after a goal against does not nullify all good he has done. If reffing was normal that should have been a PP for Oilers.. five guys mauled him and Sergachev instigated a fight with the smallest guy on ice picking him up from ice to land a few more punches.
Should have been ejected for that assault.

I would take Malone over Perlini, Shore, Turris and Benson 10/10 times.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Whatever, one push while going to the bench after a goal against does not nullify all good he has done. If reffing was normal that should have been a PP for Oilers.. five guys mauled him and Sergachev instigated a fight with the smallest guy on ice picking him up from ice to land a few more punches.
Should have been ejected for that assault.

I would take Malone over Perlini, Shore, Turris and Benson 10/10 times.
Almost every ref in the NHL calls that play that way if a player bumps a player on the team gathering to celebrate. Instigator never gets called in a line melee, particularly when the player you're claiming was instigated against in the fight literally jumps into the pile.

Again, no harm no foul, but that's a play that can kill a team. Similar to the Archibald one in Game 3.

I agree I take him over those 4 based off his play so far as that was really his first negative mark, but it was a very big negative mark.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think it is too early to tell if he is improvement on Shore/Benson or not. Talk to me again in a couple weeks.
Yeh, that 2 pt night is still fresh... We will probably start to get on his case when it wears off.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't Malone get shoved first while on his way to the bench? Anyways I like him better than most of our 4th lines, Id like to see him stay.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Almost every ref in the NHL calls that play that way if a player bumps a player on the team gathering to celebrate. Instigator never gets called in a line melee, particularly when the player you're claiming was instigated against in the fight literally jumps into the pile.

Again, no harm no foul, but that's a play that can kill a team. Similar to the Archibald one in Game 3.

I agree I take him over those 4 based off his play so far as that was really his first negative mark, but it was a very big negative mark.

Malone was pushed from behind first into Sergachev. Granted he probably added a little to his push but it’s not like there wasn’t a precipitating event.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think Malone should be in the line up if the team is fully healthy.

Good story, but I don't think he really adds anything.
He scored the game winning goal against Washington on a beautiful goal and played a big part in the Ceci goal in a game that could have turned their season around, plus he's added a physical element that the 4th line had been lacking all season so I'd like to disagree that he doesn't add anything.

You know who doesn't add anything and got more of an opportunity to do something? Tyler Benson. Now he's the definition of somebody who doesn't really add anything, along with Turris.

I'm not sure if Malone is a regular when the injured return but he has certainly brought "something" to the 4th line.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Am I the only one that thinks that he should be playing on the Oilers 4th line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad