Bozak + JVR (What to do?)

What should the Leafs do with JVR and Bozak?

• Total voters

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I still dont buy the if we want a deep playoff run we keep JVR and Bozak argument. If we want we should have offered both plus late picks to the sharks for Jumbo Joe.
What about next year same excuse and let Gardiner walk away the year after? Any idea how many assets we lost if we let JVR, Bozak and Gardiner walked??

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I still dont buy the if we want a deep playoff run we keep JVR and Bozak argument. If we want we should have offered both plus late picks to the sharks for Jumbo Joe.
What about next year same excuse and let Gardiner walk away the year after? Any idea how many assets we lost if we let JVR, Bozak and Gardiner walked??

This!

I still don't get what is the point of holding on to bozak/jvr and then letting them walk if they are not the key pieces in helping Leafs make a deep run (i.e. at least ECF).

What is the function of this line playing sheltered mins in the even strength situation?
To score on other teams while the Matthews and Kadri take hard match ups. But they hardly score; and on top of that they get scored on or get hemmed in the d-zone. How is this helping the Leafs is beyond me.

Does trading Bozak and JVR mean no playoffs?
I don't think so. Leafs are going to make the playoffs regardless of whether they are here or they are not here. So why hold on to them? Are they so integral to the team's success?
Are Bozak and JVR going to help Leafs make deep run in the playoffs (i.e. at least ECF)?
IMO No, they are not going to be impact players in the playoffs. Why? Because they both lack intensity, defensive acumen, cannot play 200 foot game and cannot score on opposition playing sheltered mins in even strength situations; while they defensive game is too weak. In the playoffs when time and space is even smaller; does one expect this duo to have an impact? I don't!

In a cap world; is letting pending UFAs walk good asset management for a rebuilding team in its second year of rebuild with raises for star players coming up soon (Nylander after this season, then Auston and Mitch next season)?
No it is absolutely terrible asset management. In cap world when MNMs are paid their dues; and we require cheap good supporting cast with them to stay competitive; we will look back at this scenario where we could have gotten picks/prospects that could have helped now or future when MNMs get paid; but management ruined it terrible asset management. We have seen this before under JFJ, Nonis/Burke, where future was gambled for "now" and look how it turned out. Heck, look at the Hawks how they managed their assets; and once both Kane and Toews got paid; they are so screwed in the cap world. We should not be making similar mistakes and looks like Lou and co. are going that route.

Bottom Line
No matter how one dices this situation; not trading bozak and jvr is absolutely terrible asset management

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
To me this largely depends on what we can get. We need an RHD or centre. If we can for eg. get a 1st and 2nd pick for JVR and then use that to parlay a package for Plekanic, something like that makes us stronger at centre and ultimately a stronger team given our wing depth.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If Lou actually tells teams around the league that JvR is not available, then I like him even less as a GM. He should at least listen on him. That's ridiculous to outright say "he is not available". He is not Matthews, he is not Nylander, he is not Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad