Boyes/Lombardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Rowsdower said:
Need your opinions on two young centers...Brad Boyes and Matt Lombardi. What do you think their long term impacts will be? Where do you see them next year? Who do you think will have the better NHL career? Thanks in advance.

Lombardi will be on the flames roster for sure and he will probably do better than this year. Boyes will probably play for the Bruins but maybe not all the games and he most likelly gonna have a minor role on the team. Lombardi
will have the better carreer for sure. He's a good kid. As for Boyees, I'm not sure...he could be a bust :dunno:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I find this odd

Brad Boyes was always a top player in the OHL, and was a first round selection??
I lost track o fhim when he went to the AHL but then I checked his stats the other day and they were actually pretty good??? Is their a reason why he hasn;t gotten the shot yet?? I dont think it's fair to say he might be a bust when he hasn't got the chance yet.

Also, I would like to ask anyone if they have seen him play lately and what parts of his game are needing work, because he's putting up a decent amount of points? thanks alot

Lobardi is very speedy and will fit right in the up comign years with CGY, however I hope that concussion doesnt slow him down..

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Lombardi will be on the flames roster for sure and he will probably do better than this year. Boyes will probably play for the Bruins but maybe not all the games and he most likelly gonna have a minor role on the team. Lombardi
will have the better carreer for sure. He's a good kid. As for Boyees, I'm not sure...he could be a bust :dunno:

*Laughs* Boyes has a higher upside than Lombardi in my opinion. How can you be sure Lombardi will have the better career? Stop making such definitive statements, its aggravating.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Lombardi will be the second-line two-way center for the Flames for a long time to come. Upside is probably 20-25 goals, 50PTS. Not sure about Boyes upside in the NHL, has been getting a lot of question marks being handed around like a hot-potato (three teams in less than two years), who knows how he'll turn out.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
simply both won't be stars in this league.. with max potential similiar to Alyn Mccauley.. undersized center with above average hockey skills.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Captain Conservative said:
*Laughs* Boyes has a higher upside than Lombardi in my opinion. How can you be sure Lombardi will have the better career? Stop making such definitive statements, its aggravating.

I think the laugh is on you. It's a message board and people have opinion :shakehead

And I think his opinion is valid considering Lombardi just had a good rookie season....May be the reason Boyes hasn't made it so far is due to the fact that he is not NHL material? :dunno: There have been many that had a good junior career but never become anything in the NHL...i.e: Daniel Tkazuk, Dan Cleary.... :cry:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
ahmon said:
simply both won't be stars in this league.. with max potential similiar to Alyn Mccauley.. undersized center with above average hockey skills.

Lombardi has already shown he has more offensive skills than McAuley IMO.

Lombardi will likely end up as a 2nd line centre in the NHL as long as he can recover from the Hatcher elbow to the head. He is the Flames 2nd most skilled centreman after Reinprecht and is one of the fastest Flames. Played parts of last season with Iginla.

Can't comment on Boyes as I haven't seen him but Lombardi is a great young player. Considerably exceeded my expectations last year.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Personally I'd take Boyes over Lombardi without hesitation.

Being traded a great deal means that you're coveted, not unwanted. If Lombardi's rights were owned by a better team (on paper) he would not have played this year I don't think. I don't think there is any question that Boyes would have been on the Flames had they owned his rights.

Personally I think Boyes' offensive skills are a good deal better than Lombardi's, but I think Lombardi is the better of the two defensively.

Sammy*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
Lombardi has already shown he has more offensive skills than McAuley IMO.

Lombardi will likely end up as a 2nd line centre in the NHL as long as he can recover from the Hatcher elbow to the head. He is the Flames 2nd most skilled centreman after Reinprecht and is one of the fastest Flames. Played parts of last season with Iginla.

Can't comment on Boyes as I haven't seen him but Lombardi is a great young player. Considerably exceeded my expectations last year.
I've said this before. Lombardi reminds me of St.Louis.
IMO, there is no co,mparison between Lombardi & Boyes. Boyes is not that good a skater & Lombardi is an exceptional skater. Its a skating league by & large, paricularly if you are a scorer.
Lombardi now & in the future, by a very large margin.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mountie said:
Personally I'd take Boyes over Lombardi without hesitation.

Being traded a great deal means that you're coveted, not unwanted. If Lombardi's rights were owned by a better team (on paper) he would not have played this year I don't think. I don't think there is any question that Boyes would have been on the Flames had they owned his rights.
not so sure about this.
to start the season Lombardi was trying out for the Flames, and Boyes for the Sharks. both had been bad, non-playoff, teams in 02-03. Both were surprisingly good teams in 03-04

Lombardi wasn't supposed to make the 03-04 Flames, at all...but he surprised with a great camp, and got a little lucky with the Reinprecht injury.

The kid did score 16 goals, and was one of the Flames top scorers in the first round against Vancouver. so he produced.

Boyes ends up in Boston, where they did find room for a kid like Bergeron, so it's not like they weren't open to playing kids either

I'm kind of rambling here...I don't mean to imply that Lombardi is definitely the better prospect, but I am saying he earned his spot out of camp in Calgary, it didn't just fall to him...and he produced this year. I don't know alot about Boyes' situation in San Jose, but I am assuming (perhaps erroneously) that there would have been a job for him coming out of camp too...if he had stepped up and stolen one like Lombardi did

ps. can we assume that Ruslan Zainullin is one seriously coveted prospect then? because he's been traded as much as Boyes if not more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad