Proposal: Boychuk + Prospect for 5th pick

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't understand why some are so worried about losing another D-man. The Bruins were without Ference and Seidenberg for most of the Rangers series and the defense looked good.

And a BIG part of that was the play of Boychuk, who continued that level of play against the Pens and into the final.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
my suggestion was to move Boychuk, Pevs, Koko and a 3rd for the 5th overall, draft Nichushkin...re-sign Horton and Rask, move Kelly only if needed...

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergeron Soderberg
Nichushkin Kelly Seguin
Merlot

OR

LKH
Marchand Bergeron Nichushkin
Soderberg Spooner Seguin
Merlot

Chara Hamilton
Bartkowski Seidenberg
Krug Mcquaid

It would be exciting at least...I dont want to move Boychuk, but we might have to. Fact is, Julien does wonders with the defence and penalty killing and could probably turn anyone into a good defensive player. Offensively, we cant afford to lose too much firepower. Just my thoughts.

Comment: my suggestion was to move Boychuk, Pevs, Koko and a 3rd for the 5th overall, draft Nichushkin...... Are you Nuts????? You would trade-------

Boychuk who was 61st overall in 2002 who has a incredible playoff, tough warrior defenseman,plus Peverely- who we gave up Wheeler 1st rd pick and Stuart who was our 2003 1st rd pick ( 31st overall) , plus our 2011 2nd (40th overall) Koko and a 3rd round pick for Nichushkin??????:shakehead:shakehead

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I would see what Krug could get me. I don't think his worth will ever be this high again. I doubt if he would get a 1st but add Peverley and Kelly to him and you have a real nice package.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Teams aren't trading top 10 cost controlled hope for soon to be 30 year old second pair defenseman and a prospect. You want top 7 you can go Hamilton and Peverley dump for a that and a bottom 6 depth guy. All our prospects at the top come with one major concern- all different but they are all there. Subban seems to be the cleanest but he's cost controlled over the next 4-5 years factoring in a rookie deal. Why would Boston ever trade this guy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would see what Krug could get me. I don't think his worth will ever be this high again. I doubt if he would get a 1st but add Peverley and Kelly to him and you have a real nice package.

Maybe but unlike me and you Don Sweeney, Butch Cassidy, and Jimmy Dean have invested thousands of hours first following and developing him. He is not a finished product but they not only like him but take immense pride in their own contributions. It would have to be one outrageous offer to even get them to budge from the emotional attachment to him. And IMO he is the best PP point man I have seen since Bourque. He's able to get both the defense and his own players to move their feet when he is out there.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I don't understand why people think McQuaid will be traded..

He's as good as you can find for a rock as your #6 D. Provides so much toughness as well. Makes pennies too.

I'm telling you, Boychuk will be traded before Quaid is. His value has never been high and a nice return can be had for him.

You have to think like a GM here, which is going to help your team more?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Jay Feaster should donate the Bruins the 6th pick. He owes us one.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't understand why people think McQuaid will be traded..

He's as good as you can find for a rock as your #6 D. Provides so much toughness as well. Makes pennies too.

I'm telling you, Boychuk will be traded before Quaid is. His value has never been high and a nice return can be had for him.

You have to think like a GM here, which is going to help your team more?

Could not agree more McQuaid is going no where . Boychuk has alot of value at the moment hate to see him move on but tough decesions need to be made

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jay Feaster should donate the Bruins the 6th pick. He owes us one.

Bartkowski, Koko, and our first if we had it wouldn't have gotten that but not sure history would prove that wise. Iginla really bent Calgary over

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

great, and next year at the deadline we can trade Knight and a #1 if 2014 to get that elusive PMD they seem to want so desperately.

Basically you want to trade Krug, because you believe he is a flash in the pan, a fraud. I'm thinking they don't agree. I think they view Krug as the culmination of a 5 year plan to develop a PMD who can play in Claude's system.

member 96824

Boychuk. Buy low, sell high.

Turning him and pevs+ into Nurse would be incredible and fix some cap issues. I trust dougie and krug in the line up next year.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Teams aren't trading top 10 cost controlled hope for soon to be 30 year old second pair defenseman and a prospect. You want top 7 you can go Hamilton and Peverley dump for a that and a bottom 6 depth guy. All our prospects at the top come with one major concern- all different but they are all there. Subban seems to be the cleanest but he's cost controlled over the next 4-5 years factoring in a rookie deal. Why would Boston ever trade this guy

Most of the time, I completely agree with you - but not here, not the bolded. Too much attachment to futures around here, but they are what they are - a prospect who COULD turn out to be a top flight player in the NHL.

The suggestion here of trading Boychuk + a prospect for the 5th overall pick is really based on a few factors. For one, Carolina is looking for a top 4 defenceman that has a manageable cap hit. Boychuk fits, he's a cup winner and a proven playoff performer - how many options does Carolina have in this arena? How many comparables to what Boychuk would bring them?

My thinking is the herd would be thin. Yes, there are better players to fit the bill, but are they possibly available?

The next issue is cost - Boychuk won't bring you a top 10 pick, granted - but packaged with a prospect that has developed some but will be cost-controllable and likely to make the roster would be a major benefit to the Canes, IMO. Question is who? Spooner? Koko? Knight? Any of those three would a solid addition to that package.

The Bruins, obviously, would save money on the cap here, allowing Horton AND Rask to be resigned - and we'd have a great potential prospect developing for the future. The downside is we'd lose a great physical dman, and a darn good prospect we've been grooming.

That all being said, I also think I may be biased in my assessment of Boychuk, and the rest of the world may not see him as a great top 4 dman who's physical, durable, responsible, has a rocket of a shot, has won a Stanley Cup and under the age of 30.

Or, maybe the world does see that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad