Boudreau vs Yeo

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, what was Yeo doing that made the team collapse every season in December/January?

The team was just tuning out by this point IMO.

In December we'd always hear how we weren't good enough defensively and the goal scoring wouldn't last forever. The team can't win like that long term....Yeo would always be grumpy with a win when the Wild scored 4-5 goals and gave up 2-3...they weren't sticking to the system.

Then a NYR game would happen, go up 4-0 with Kuemper in net...lose 5-4 and Yeo would go all "told you so" and clamp down on them. The players then stop believing.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Boudreau brought some really qualified assistant coaches with him. Yeo's assistants were Andrew Brunette and Darby Hendrickson. Were Yeo's assistants even qualified to be NHL coaches?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
The team was just tuning out by this point IMO.

In December we'd always hear how we weren't good enough defensively and the goal scoring wouldn't last forever. The team can't win like that long term....Yeo would always be grumpy with a win when the Wild scored 4-5 goals and gave up 2-3...they weren't sticking to the system.

Then a NYR game would happen, go up 4-0 with Kuemper in net...lose 5-4 and Yeo would go all "told you so" and clamp down on them. The players then stop believing.

This. 100% this.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Yeo was and is a disgrace to the National Hockey League. He wants it to be similar to flag football. His disdain for the physical part of the game nearly ruined hockey for me.

Boudreau comes from the old WHA and Fighting Saints team. He understands the importance of the physical end of hockey. He also allows his players creativity offensively. Something Yeo severely prohibited!

It isn't a coincidence that St. Louis is struggling from their usual play.

Great, the Blues already have a GM that's hurting the franchise and I guess we're getting a coach to match too? A lot of trepidation here in STL about Yeo taking over next year. A lot of fans here are hoping he'd be more inclined to play the young kids more but it sounds like on here that isn't the case.

So Yeo isn't big on physical play? That's nice.

What about retaliation? A lot of people here were at least hoping Yeo was more open to retaliation if warranted. That's one thing that upset Blues fans about Hitchcock, he never called for retaliation when it was needed. 3 years ago against the Hawks in a playoff series, he let Bickell have his way with us. What about Yeo, is he like that or is he tougher?

Last edited:

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeo has a thing for favoring vets over young players.

He is probably not as bad as we are making him out to be. The Wild had some good stretches under him. I think he is a good tactician. I got the impression that his main weakness was how he handled the players, also the power play always sucked under him. This was his first head coaching job so it is possible he gets better at it over time. I think he has many of the pieces to be an excellent head coach but hasn't put it all together yet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Great, the Blues already have a GM that's hurting the franchise and I guess we're getting a coach to match too? A lot of trepidation here in STL about Yeo taking over next year. A lot of fans here are hoping he'd be more inclined to play the young kids more but it sounds like on here that isn't the case.

What about retaliation? A lot of people here were at least hoping Yeo was more open to retaliation if warranted. That's one thing that upset Blues fans about Hitchcock, he never called for retaliation when it was needed. 3 years ago against the Hawks in a playoff series, he let Bickell have his way with us. What about Yeo, is he like that or is he tougher?

Turn the other cheek was how it as in the regular season. The Playoffs it got a little nastier, but that was mostly the GM (trading for guys like Stewie) and players going over Yoe.

Many times there would be some stuff going on around the net. See one Wild guy mixing things up, and the other 4 skating off to the bench for a line change.

Yoe is a really good defensive coach, but his system is very strict and rigid. Creative players get stifled and benched because it's not playing the "right" way. Lots of safe plays, pass if you don't have a grade a shot. Score in the first minute of the game and then play perfect defense the other 59 mins, win 1-0.

For the Blues sake, I hope Yoe has learned from his mistakes and fixed them. He could be a really good coach if he did.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Boudreau brought some really qualified assistant coaches with him. Yeo's assistants were Andrew Brunette and Darby Hendrickson. Were Yeo's assistants even qualified to be NHL coaches?

I refuse to believe that Yeo showed up to work, GMCF was like btw you get Bruno and Darby as your assistant coaches and a guy who can function on .35 BAC and this is NON-NEGOTIABLE! Yeo had a say in who was advising him and if he made bad decisions thats on him.

The bigger thing is how long things were bad with out any changes being make to lines or to the PP, when players like Parise went out to seek another coach to help them you know that there is massive issues.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
But Boudreau’s handling of players has set a tone of accountability woven through the best first half in team history. His deft touch with in-game adjustments and willingness to ride a hot hand demonstrate just how much coaching matters.

“We’re all men,†Boudreau said. “If somebody is not going as well, then he doesn’t play as much. It’s a fine line, but I think it’s a pretty easy line to follow.â€

Refreshing approach, isn’t it?

Boudreau prefers private meetings to clear the air rather than rant and rave like a lunatic. He tries to hold individual meetings with players every 10 to 20 games. Some take five minutes, some a half-hour.

Boudreau asks about their families and their personal lives before dissecting their performance on the ice. He sets his expectations and allows them to share their thoughts. Players probably never leave the room wondering where they stand.

“It’s a conversation you don’t normally get to have just sitting in the dressing room talking to players,†he said.

Boudreau’s résumé gives him credibility. A veteran coach with a record of success commands respect. Players know he’s not just winging it. They have to accept criticism or a demotion because they can’t pretend to know more than a coach who has seen just about everything in the game.

“If one doesn’t play as much in one game, it’s not because we don’t like him,†Boudreau said. “Somebody might just be going better at that time. It’s not fair to the guys that are playing better to not be able to play just because somebody is supposedly on a higher line.â€

That’s the mark of a confident coach, having an ability to demand accountability of every player while also maintaining respect inside the locker room.

Boudreau said his style has evolved with experience. He coached Alex Ovechkin in Washington and Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in Anaheim, so he’s well-versed in handling players with stature.

“I’m still cognizant of how much guys play and how much ice time they need,†he said. “It’s just when push comes to shove, you want the best for your team because when you win, everyone seems to be happy.â€

Scoggins: Boudreau in tune with Wild players' highs, lows

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I wouldn't worry quite yet. Yeo is a decent coach, and this was his first NHL head coaching gig, so he's bound to have learned from some of his mistakes. He did value the vets too strongly here, and it caused a rift between the young and old guys in the locker room, reportedly.

He also isn't a coach that encourages retaliation of a physical variety. He'd prefer to see his team retaliate by scoring a goal or winning the game instead of getting caught up playing the retaliation game, which often leads to penalties against. Personally, I think this is smart, but you need to make them pay by scoring on the power play, which is something Yeo struggled to get going here.

I'm not positive of the cause of our mid-season swoons, but they started when Yeo got the job, and seem to have ended now that he's out, making me believe it really was a "Yeo thing". I'm thinking he lost the ear of the players mid-way through a season, and it took desperation to get it back. This is likely a personality thing, and so I'm not sure he's going to be able to fix that. I'd get mentally prepared for great starts, terrible middles, and great finishes to your seasons, if I were you.

One last thing I will say about Yeo is that he's a decent, maybe even good playoff coach.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I was thinking about this today, I don't think Staal signs with us if Yeo is the coach. There seems to be a lot of mutual respect between Staal/Boudreau, and by their quotes in the papers about each other and the signing the conversation Staal had with Boudreau was a big reason for his signing here, and I don't think Yeo would have that ability.

Nah, Wild still probably get him. A playoff team 4 years in a row with a need at 1C and good wingers to play with. It was the best situation for him to regain his value league wide.

That signing was obviously a fit before BB was even hired.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Yeo had good game plans in playoff series. My issues with him were in his stubbornness in sticking with players ( usually vets) who clearly weren't getting it done, and his scapegoating of younger players. Also, while I appreciated his defensive approach, I thought he could've encouraged players like Nino and Zucker a lot better. Let's face it, those two are goal scorers, but it seemed like he took that for granted and was only interested in pointing out their defiency's defensively( while allowing the Heatley's and Pominville's of the world to skate).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
BB's attitude of giving ice time to those that are performing well is refreshing, indeed. I like the: "it’s not because we don’t like him" line. Seems like it's kind of a 'well, obviously you're not going to play as much if you're not performing' precedent.

Production should be expected, and it's nice to see it rewarded (i.e. things like Schroeder being on the ice for his assist on Spurgeon's OT game winner a while back). He never would have seen the ice under Yeo.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Production should be expected, and it's nice to see it rewarded (i.e. things like Schroeder being on the ice for his assist on Spurgeon's OT game winner a while back). He never would have seen the ice under Yeo.

Yeo's whole strategy with the 3on3 OT was just baffling. The fastest players, who could more easily exploit the 3on3 game would often ride the bench while Koivu and Vanek are on the ice for a two minute shift. I swear Klingberg alone beat us with at least 2 OT winners last year in that same scenario.

Also, didn't Yeo justify our terrible 3on3 OT record last year with a comment like "well, there's no 3on3 in the playoffs", or was that just made up?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeo's whole strategy with the 3on3 OT was just baffling. The fastest players, who could more easily exploit the 3on3 game would often ride the bench while Koivu and Vanek are on the ice for a two minute shift. I swear Klingberg alone beat us with at least 2 OT winners last year in that same scenario.

Also, didn't Yeo justify our terrible 3on3 OT record last year with a comment like "well, there's no 3on3 in the playoffs", or was that just made up?

Haha yep. I think I remember it being during our bad slump, and he cracked a joke about that. I didn't mind it that much, but I remember it ruffling some feathers!

During a bad losing streak is not exactly the best time to make a joke about dropping points. :laugh:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Yeo had no way to encompass other players into a system. IMHO he could not teach just preach what he wanted. If you didnt fit his mold. That was it.

Vanek goes from bench under Yeo to leading DET in goal scoring 2nd in points.

Marek Z is another example. Terrible under Yeo and had much better success away from him. It was the O juggernaut known as NJ though.

Schroeder this year looks amazing for his role. Last year i thought he would out of NA hockey by now. On a three game point streak. Had 4 points under Yeo last year in total.

Stewart in a SO because he is god good in SO. Yeo had his mind up long before the game ever happened.

It looked like Koivu did what he was told under Yeo and this year he is doing what BB wants and he looks a lot better.

Granlund and Nino look much more comfortable consistently.

Zucker is a totally different player.

Graovac-Stew-Schroeder out with less than 10 min with a one goal lead @ CHI. They respond with solid play.

Dumba makes a mistake and isnt benched. Stevens goes over and corrects it and Dumba is back at it.

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006

Don't let these other Wild fans fool you.... be afraid, be VERY afraid!

Yeo has HIS system and his favorites (usually vets). If you don't adhere to "The System" you will not play.... unless you are a vet. And physical play.... oh NO!!! we don't do that under Yeo! We expect the NHL to change from what they've always done and protect the little guys. We all know, one guy punches another guy, guy falls down.... 2 minute roughing on both. :laugh: Yeo never realize this. The NHL is a physical/intimidating sport and ALWAYS will be.

I've been a hockey fan since the early 70's and Mike Yeo is by far the worst hockey coach I've ever been associated with. He may know his X's and O's... .but there is WAY MORE to coaching than that.

As a MN Hockey fan I really hope Yeo takes the reigns for the Blues, but as a Blues fan, you really don't want that to happen.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Yeo has HIS system and his favorites (usually vets). If you don't adhere to "The System" you will not play.... unless you are a vet. And physical play.... oh NO!!! we don't do that under Yeo! We expect the NHL to change from what they've always done and protect the little guys. We all know, one guy punches another guy, guy falls down.... 2 minute roughing on both. :laugh: Yeo never realize this. The NHL is a physical/intimidating sport and ALWAYS will be.

I've been a hockey fan since the early 70's and Mike Yeo is by far the worst hockey coach I've ever been associated with. He may know his X's and O's... .but there is WAY MORE to coaching than that.

As a MN Hockey fan I really hope Yeo takes the reigns for the Blues, but as a Blues fan, you really don't want that to happen.

Todd Richards coached the Wild...

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I always thought the team Fletcher was trying to build and Yeo's strict defensive, systematic coaching never meshed well. Fletcher want's a fast, skilled, two way team and Yeo wanted a defense first, dump and chase grind it out hockey.

It's not surprising so many players are thriving under Boudreau who coaches to the players strengths and puts them in a position where they can succeed. Yeo didn't care what your skill asset was. It was stick to the system at all costs.

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006
I always thought the team Fletcher was trying to build and Yeo's strict defensive, systematic coaching never meshed well. Fletcher want's a fast, skilled, two way team and Yeo wanted a defense first, dump and chase grind it out hockey.

It's not surprising so many players are thriving under Boudreau who coaches to the players strengths and puts them in a position where they can succeed. Yeo didn't care what your skill asset was. It was stick to the system at all costs.

Well said.

For those Wild fans still wondering, how many times this season have we already carried the puck into the offensive zone compared to last year?.... or the yearS before?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well said.

For those Wild fans still wondering, how many times this season have we already carried the puck into the offensive zone compared to last year?.... or the yearS before?

Not just the amout of carry-ins, the dump ins seem to have a purpose this year. Seasons past it was just the the puck deep without much thought of where it was going. Just in their zone and try and get it.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not just the amout of carry-ins, the dump ins seem to have a purpose this year. Seasons past it was just the the puck deep without much thought of where it was going. Just in their zone and try and get it.

The difference is noticeable.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

Worst things is Mike Yeo has no clue what to do with highly creative minded players (other than ruin them), I'm still waiting if Granlund will bounce back someday. His magic was run over by Yeos dump&chase system.

The difference is noticeable.

Well.. again, it's the real Mikko without chains

Im not saying Yeo is a bad coach, but maybe he should have 4 lines of grinders instead of hockey players.

Don't be surprised when see players like Tarasenko dumping puck and going battle to corner situations like 1 vs 1, he hasn't done that maybe ever before but hey.. that's the system

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad