Pre-Game Talk: Boudreau brings the sneau Ducks @ Caps (Ppd to 4/10/16)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Because no one would watch, most Caps and Ducks fans are at work even with the game starting at 5.
Remember the game starts a 2PM PST for the fans in California.

It doesnt matter for Ducks fans if it is at 5PM EST or 12PM EST. They're gonna be at work either way.

Plus with the federal government shutting down early, 12PM start would've meant people might be able to watch from home. And would also have allowed Anaheim to leave town and head for Detroit early.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
You guys stop working at noon today? Wow, it's got to be something serious to keep an entire city at home.

Now you know what it's like to live in Canada, except that we still have to go to work when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground :naughty:

the entire capital beltway (interstate/freeway road system in dc) shut down and became a parking lot for hours for an inch of snow wednesday night. imagine 30 inches of snow haha.

that last tweet i posted was surprising. there is still a chance that this game doesnt get played

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You guys stop working at noon today? Wow, it's got to be something serious to keep an entire city at home.

Now you know what it's like to live in Canada, except that we still have to go to work when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground :naughty:

DC is expecting any where from 18 inches to 3 feet today. Everything is closing at noon to ensure we don't have a disastrous combination of Friday evening rush hour traffic + blizzard conditions. Weather people are calling this a "historic storm" for the area.

DC/VA/MD police responded to over 300 traffic incidents on Wednesday evening when the area got some unexpected snow. Cars were left abandoned on the highway. They're taking all necessary precautions to ensure that doesn't happen again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
the entire capital beltway (interstate/freeway road system in dc) shut down and became a parking lot for hours for an inch of snow wednesday night. imagine 30 inches of snow haha.

that last tweet i posted was surprising. there is still a chance that this game doesnt get played

How are you coming to that conclusion?

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I live close to the Verizon Center. Thinking about picking up some very cheap tickets and checking out the scene tonight. Very curious to see how many show up and what it's like without any police presence, etc.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I live close to the Verizon Center. Thinking about picking up some very cheap tickets and checking out the scene tonight. Very curious to see how many show up and what it's like without any police presence, etc.

Should be fascinating. Feel free to take pics to share - I went to a game in the early '00's during a snowstorm, and the ushers were like "sit wherever" after the first period.

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Should be fascinating. Feel free to take pics to share - I went to a game in the early '00's during a snowstorm, and the ushers were like "sit wherever" after the first period.

That's kind of my thought, as well. StubHub has some 100-level near center ice seats for under $80, but I'm guessing people that actually make it in will be able to come down once the game gets going.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
DC is expecting any where from 18 inches to 3 feet today. Everything is closing at noon to ensure we don't have a disastrous combination of Friday evening rush hour traffic + blizzard conditions. Weather people are calling this a "historic storm" for the area.

DC/VA/MD police responded to over 300 traffic incidents on Wednesday evening when the area got some unexpected snow. Cars were left abandoned on the highway. They're taking all necessary precautions to ensure that doesn't happen again.

3 feet? Holy ****, I've never seen 3 feet of snow fall in one storm. While I was away on vacation in Cuba between Christmas and NY, there was a big storm that hit Montreal, one of the biggest in the history of Montreal. We got 20 inches of snow. When I came back, I had to shovel the snow in front of my door so that it wouldn't get in. The bottom 5 inches had already frozen because the temperature dipped to 5ºF. Good times.

Yeah, I think it would be wise to simply stay at home, unless you live close to the underground metro. I've never been in DC but I know Verizon Centre is in Chinatown, I suppose the people who live nearby or those who have access to the metro can still attend.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Caps try and feed the harmless public park ducks some mouldy bread, sadly weather ruins the plan.

Weather wins, 2 feet - 0.

book it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
DC is expecting any where from 18 inches to 3 feet today.

Nah, not today. We're expected to get a few inches this afternoon and tonight, and then it's supposed to really start blizzarding around midnight.

Play the game, I've got nothing else to do. :popcorn:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

I was out in that mess on Wednesday. It wouldn't have been nearly as much of a problem if any of the three jurisdictions had treated the roads. They didn't put any salt down or plow, so even though we only got a little bit of snow it just got compacted into ice on the sub-freezing roads.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I keep hearing people say this but 1 layer of ice is far more dangerous and more difficult to drive in than 2 feet of snow.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Sounds like they're backing off some of the higher predications that were floating around. They were saying up to 48" in DC, Baltimore, and up to the MD/PA line but there is more of a consensus of up to 20" to 26" with lesser amount up towards the line. Sounds like the wind speeds are coming down too which was the real scary thing.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

sounded like there was still some skepticism

especially since

Just on the local news (WRC TV), D.C. Homeland Security encouraging Caps to cancel today's game. MPDC says they won't be able to have Officers assigned to the VC. D.C. Govt. stating if Capitals organization wants to put their players at risk it's on them.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
backing? no. raising? yes. newest model that just came out says 40 inches
Well, reports are always all over the place a couple days out. I was seeing up to 48" the past day or two on the high end. All the sources are starting to have similar numbers where 20-26" in the metro area. Looks like the worst is hitting in the mountains and tapering down once it heads east.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Well, reports are always all over the place a couple days out. I was seeing up to 48" the past day or two on the high end. All the sources are starting to have similar numbers where 20-26" in the metro area. Looks like the worst is hitting in the mountains and tapering down once it heads east.

i posted the newest "model" in the ot thread. who knows how true it is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad