Line Combos: Bottom 6 Holes To Fill

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Don't know bout you guys but i really don't feel comfortable going into the season with this lineup. Now i know there's still the whole summer left to tweak the lineup but i have a feeling we will just resign our RFAs and head into camp with the same roster.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
****-Bolland-Kulemin
****-McClement-Orr/McClaren

As you can see our top 6 looks very solid but our bottom 6 has some holes to fill. Who might be available for cheap that we can sign? A guy like Chad Larose would be nice but at what price?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Play the kids. In the cap era you can't afford to pay 3rd/4th line guys when you can get the same production/effectiveness from someone on their ELC.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Don't know bout you guys but i really don't feel comfortable going into the season with this lineup. Now i know there's still the whole summer left to tweak the lineup but i have a feeling we will just resign our RFAs and head into camp with the same roster.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
****-Bolland-Kulemin

As you can see our top 6 looks very solid but our bottom 6 has some holes to fill. Who might be available for cheap that we can sign? A guy like Chad Larose would be nice but at what price?

Colborne has proven all that he can possibly prove in the AHL. Colborne and McClement can switch between 3rd LW and 4th center.

However, I would also like to see a player that can play on the 3rd line and possibly jump up to the 2nd line in case of injuries like a Larose/Poni/Antropov/Penner type on a cheap 1 year deal. Antropov would be my 1st choice because he can play either wing or center.

Bolland has a high injury risk factor. Then other injuries always happen every year so you can bet on at least 1 of our top 9 forwards being out with an injury at any given time.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Play the kids. In the cap era you can't afford to pay 3rd/4th line guys when you can get the same production/effectiveness from someone on their ELC.

If you're paying that 3rd/4th line a dirt cheap salary like like how San Jose got Gomez then the cap saving arguments hold no weight.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If you're paying that 3rd/4th line a dirt cheap salary like like how San Jose got Gomez then the cap saving arguments hold no weight.

Depends on the player ofcourse. I personally would not want Gomez anywhere near my team. If there's an older veteran of similar ability to someone on the Marlies, I play the kid. The fact that we're struggling to find cap space for the RFAs, proves that every bit counts. SC contenders have done this for years.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not a bad idea. I hope Nonis is looking to add a cheap depth forward later in the summer.

With the cap constraints this year, it's these types who may find themselves without a contract when August rolls around and most teams have blown their wads on re-signing players and signing big $$$ guys on Day 1 of UFA. Reminds me of the Clarke MacArthur signing a few years ago. Be patient and get a solid player on a cheap one-year deal.

I like the idea of getting young guys like D'Amigo and Ashton into the lineup, but maybe it would be best not to pencil them in for opening day when you know that injuries will mean they'll be needed at some point anyway. If we start the season with those guys already in the lineup, who do we turn to when injuries do strike?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope that Colborne gets a chance to stick, and runs with it. I'm not expecting incredible stats, just stick with the team, use your body in front of the net, and to shield the puck. I'd love to see him get a bit more of an edge to his game, but doubt it will happen. I can only imagine in a few years a third line with Biggs, Gauthier and Colborne... Big tough line to play against.

Speaking of Biggs, 6'3", 225lbs, good on the PK, plays well defensively. I hope he gets a chance at some point as well.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Personally, if there's one spot I'm finally happy to say I'm ecstatic about it's the bottom 6 spots. We've got solid depth and some legitimate shut-down guys there. Bolland, Clarkson, Kulemin, McClement and even Marlies' like Biggs, D'Amigo, Ross and Ashton can step in for short periods. I don't even mind if we play both Orr and McLaren for 10 minutes combined on average. :nod:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
SC contenders have done this for years.

SC contenders have done what exactly?

For bottom 6ers or I'll say even bottom 4 forwards sometimes contenders have guys coming in on entry level deals but just as often they have veterans on cheap deals like Eaves, Miller, Tootoo in Detroit. Chicago has Handzus/Mayers. Pens have Adams/Vitale/Glass. Boston with Paille/Campbell.

Younger doesn't always necessarily mean cheaper or better. Ashton/D'Amigo aren't even top AHLers let alone counting on them to break camp with the big club and stick. Injuries call up is all I'd count on them for this season.

But Colborne has definitely done as much developing as he's going to do in the AHL and should get his chance this year.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think Colborne is in for sure. D'Amigo will fight it out with the free wallets of the world and I think he'll come out on top even if it's just to be the 13th forward. Ashton has an outside chance as well though D'Amigo's PK ability and tenatious play will probably win over Carlyle.

GameOverLeafsWin

Jul 10, 2009
Kulimen - Bolland - Mclement
Frazer -Colborne - Orr

Or

D'amigo - Bolland - Kulimen
Ashton - Mclement - Orr/Frazer

Couple ideas.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
SC contenders have done what exactly?

For bottom 6ers or I'll say even bottom 4 forwards sometimes contenders have guys coming in on entry level deals but just as often they have veterans on cheap deals like Eaves, Miller, Tootoo in Detroit. Chicago has Handzus/Mayers. Pens have Adams/Vitale/Glass. Boston with Paille/Campbell.

Obviously every team has a healthy mix of veterans and youth. I'm not saying play all the kids. However when a situation arises where you have the opportunity to play 1 or 2 in that bottom 6, you give them a shot. You could end up getting much more than you were anticipating for a fraction of the cost. Not to mention you could send them down to the marlies (most cases anyway) and move on if it doesn't work out immediately. With a free agent, you're pretty much stuck. You could demote him to the marlies, then you have him taking a roster spot away from a youngster.

Younger doesn't always necessarily mean cheaper or better. Ashton/D'Amigo aren't even top AHLers let alone counting on them to break camp with the big club and stick. Injuries call up is all I'd count on them for this season.

In most cases it is cheaper. Especially when we're talking about giving out term to an older bottom 6 forward. D'amigo in particular is a case of specific abilities. You aren't bringing him up to produce in every scenario and categorey. You're bringing him up to skate hard, forecheck, and play a solid PK.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
****-Bolland-Kulemin

Leafs dont need help at forward they need D. Colborne can play, Carter Ashton has the size, skating and willingness to play a physical game, Damigo might be close. Teams like to carry 5 center's, so I can see Colborne staying up, and filling in for any injuries.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Colborne, plus 2 or 3 vets on sub-1M deals or camp tryouts. There's a lot of older and/or fringe guys out unemployed that are worth taking a flyer on

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Gotta have McClement Bolland Kulemin as a 3rd line
Our best 3 defensive forwards
RC will put it vs all the big names when leading like Stamkos Spezza Staal Crosby Datsyuk Nash Gaborik ....

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I would just use some of our prospects. And if they don't work, we can probably pick someone up off waivers who could adequately plug the hole for the time being.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
im hoping the bottom 6 shapes up like,

kulemin-bolland-mclemment
damigo/ashton-colborne-orr

i think it is important to have a legit checking/shutdown line. mclemment has shown he can play wing and be effective. i also see value in having 2 centers on a line, especially since bolland isnt so terrific on the draws.

i also think it is important to develop colborne into a center and not play him as a winger. i think he can improve on the position while playing sheltered minutes and it would also be a good opportunity to slowly integrate ashton or damigo who i think should be ready by now (i hope)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Hughes basically confirmed that biggs and percy are basically marlies for sure in september

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Colborne has done all he can do in the AHL... it's time to put him in the lineup full time. And just put D'amigo or Ashton or whoever plays best in preseason as the 4th line winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad