Boston Globe: Players, Own Up to the Fact You Got Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
danaluvsthekings said:
It depends. Some businesses decide to pay their employees well to keep them happy and loyal, even though they could still find employees at a lower salary. There's a fast food hamburger chain in California, Nevada, and Arizona, called In-n-Out, that starts its employees at like $9.50 or $10 an hour even though they only have to offer minimum wage. Paying someone $3 an hour more than they'd make at McDonald's or Burger King looks stupid and paying kids that much to flip hamburgers cuts into their profit margins, but they still make a profit and they have happy employees which is good for business.

I'm not saying the NHLPA's stance was right in this whole situation. I'm just trying to say that no one that opens a business is going to be guaranteed a profit and the NHL owners shouldn't be different than any other business. Why should they be entitled to know they're going to make a profit every year when every other type of business knows they need to make smart financial decisions to keep themselves from going belly up?

But if you're only option is flipping burgers, wouldn't you as a happy In-n-Out employee prefer to make $8 an hour as opposed to having In-n-Out go out of business and have to go back to McD's for minimum wage?
If In-n-Out said, I'm losing money hand over fist; we need to make some changes so that you're still paid great, but I stay in business --- would you still not care if he's making money?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
No. The issue next time is pretty clear to anyone who has even tried to imagine the new NHL.

If the player haters despise the players now, wait until until they see their team sign a big UFA who turns into a cap-hogging bust.

Guaranteed Contracts are next.

And I'm gonna guess, given the petty nature of many fans I've seen, that the owners will have support of about 90 percent of the fans.
Well, that has not yet come up in the NBA, but you know best, Newsguy.

And I am sure you will be able to come up with a brilliant rationale why eliminating guaranteed contracts is a BAD thing for the NHL ... :shakehead

Guaranteed contracts havent been too much of an issue in the NBA because of all the byzantine exeptions that allow teams to sign FAs and make deals while still being technically over the cap due to that "cap-hogging bust".

And I don't think getting rid of guaranteed contracts will happen in the NHL, or make much of a difference if it does. You'll just see the same thing that happened in the NFL - big signing bonuses replacing mega-buck multi year salaries. This would be an even worse case of a "cap-hogging bust" eating up cap space. At least the bust can be bought out at 67% - deferred bonus monies in the NFL are dead cap space that cannot be bought out and that the original signing team is stuck with even if they cut or trade the player.

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
cecilnyr said:
It was inevitable to have this article posted..I've been reading this board for a long time now and finally joined up What i've noticed is that most of you post anything that is anti-player/pro-owner and then applaud/cheer the writer for great work

But when anything is posted that is pro-player/anti-owner gets slammed by a majority of the people on this board...Why is that? Yes the players were wrong but so were the owners...the lockout boils down to this...they both wanted to stuff their pockets (the owners wanted more money the players wanted to keep getting paid how they were)while holding US the fans hostage. There are no winners here and the only "losers" are US the fans. Bashing either side is just not going to heal the wounds any faster.

And for this article the guy cautions the owners not to "pile on" etc.. then he proceeds to do just the same to the players (not just 1 page but 4 pages!)...the very same thing he cautioned the owners not to do. This guy has been pretty good for his Sunday articles during the lockout but this one was off-base. Again there were no "winners" here the only people who lost were US! All of US on this message board and across the hockey world not to mention all of those who lost their jobs due to the lockout

best post in a long time. some of the people on here are absolutely childish when it comes to attacking the players.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Newsguyone said:
How does that help? Other than to save a million five?

The good players are still spread among 30 teams.
That's the problem.

You're a Wings fan and now that your team can't be one of the few regular contenderds without great management, you're just overly bitter.

That is what you don't get, people cheering for the small-market teams now have much better chances of seeing their teams contending for the Cup for the first time in 15 years. You're bitter because the team you're cheering for can't have payrolls 3 times as big as the smallest teams and you're giving up the great advantage you had. Yeah, must be hard.

This new CBA is great for large majority of fans.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
If this deal is acceptable to the players now, howcome it wasn't acceptable last year at this time?

I can't get over the impression that they wound up accepting all the stuff they said they'd never accept; the rumored deal sounds an awful lot more like the owners' goal than the players'.

If the players knew a year ago that sitting out a year was going to get a deal that looked like this, do you think they'd have gone through this?

If the owners knew a year ago that sitting out a year was going to get them this deal, I think many of them would have been pretty content.

I don't "hate" the players. I won't have any problem welcoming them back. When the post-office goes on strike before Christmas it bugs the hell out of me, but it does mean I hate my postie as a person. And when the strike is over I'm just glad that she's bringing my mail again. I'll be glad when the lockout is officially over. I'll be thrilled to see the players again, but I still disagree with the position the union took.

I just want hockey back. I believe that the new deal should be good for my team and for teams in similar off-ice situations. I think that the new deal should help my team stay in its market, and ditto most teams. I think the new deal should give any well-managed team the chance to be competitive. I think that will be the best thing for the NHL... and ultimately that is good news for most of the players too.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Pepper said:
You're a Wings fan and now that your team can't be one of the few regular contenderds without great management, you're just overly bitter.

That is what you don't get, people cheering for the small-market teams now have much better chances of seeing their teams contending for the Cup for the first time in 15 years. You're bitter because the team you're cheering for can't have payrolls 3 times as big as the smallest teams and you're giving up the great advantage you had. Yeah, must be hard.

Since when have the wings ever been poorly managed under the old cba? Please explain that statement to me!

These discussions in the buiness threads are so absolutely useless. There is only one way to look at anything and not get immediately ripped apart by a dozen or so other posters. Its a shame that a guy has to weed through 90% of the posts just to find anything remotely useful.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
dangler19 said:
Since when have the wings ever been poorly managed under the old cba? Please explain that statement to me!

These discussions in the buiness threads are so absolutely useless. There is only one way to look at anything and not get immediately ripped apart by a dozen or so other posters. Its a shame that a guy has to weed through 90% of the posts just to find anything remotely useful.

I wrote "You're a Wings fan and now that your team can't be one of the few regular contenderds without great management" meaning that Wings need great management to remain a contender in the future, despite being better managed than several other big teams, they need to be much more creative. They can't just go for several years without their no.1 picks traded for established stars like Lang and Chelios, it doesn't work like that anymore.

Does Detroit have a great management? I think we'll see in the next 5 years.

A Good Flying Bird*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Well, that has not yet come up in the NBA, but you know best, Newsguy.

And I am sure you will be able to come up with a brilliant rationale why eliminating guaranteed contracts is a BAD thing for the NHL ... :shakehead

Maybe your word is worth nothing, but I think when people sign contracts, they ought to stick to them.
It was true when Yashin held out.
It will be true when the when the NHL gets rid of gauranteed gonctracts.

No need to bring up the NBA, which allows teams to go above the cap to resign their own players, therebye lessening the pressures on teams that would make a team want to cut and run on one of their players.

A Good Flying Bird*

Pepper said:

You mind explaining how this has one god damn thing to do with what I said to Gee Wally?

Or are you just trying to perfect your drive-by attacks?

A Good Flying Bird*

Pepper said:
I wrote "You're a Wings fan and now that your team can't be one of the few regular contenderds without great management" meaning that Wings need great management to remain a contender in the future, despite being better managed than several other big teams, they need to be much more creative. They can't just go for several years without their no.1 picks traded for established stars like Lang and Chelios, it doesn't work like that anymore.

Does Detroit have a great management? I think we'll see in the next 5 years.

Hah. What a lark.
Detroit is coming off a 15 year run as one of the best teams in the NHL.

Their core is old and slow, even with younger players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fischer and Kronwall.

It's going to take a little while to rebuild in Detroit. Hopefully not nearly as long as last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad