Rumor: [Boston Globe] Matt Porter: Orlov sounds like he wants a deal with the Caps. Open to Bruins, certainly, but a lot of years there.

Bring Dima Back?

• Yes

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Him saying it's his last contract is telling. I think he'll follow the term/money, which he won't get here.

I'm also not sure if I'd be willing to go above 3x6 or 4x5.5. I just don't know if he brings enough to warrant that in his later years, and I love Orlov.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If I’m him, I don’t want my last year here without Ovechkin. 3 years $7 per would be my ask. (Then play last few years in KHL) Or I would chase max value somewhere else…5 years….6.5.

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
If Fever gets moved in a deal for young forward talent, I see a Orlov return making a ton of sense. He is clearly still a strong #2. Otherwise it’s hard to see the fit.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just for shits and giggles, if the Caps could trade Carlson for an impact forward and sign Dima instead, do you give Orlov Carly's money? Can Sandin learn to make the Ovie pass...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I recall Ovie getting setup for one timers from L Dmen but its still slower than having right shot there. Who knows with a new coach coming in for a new PP next year.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Just for shits and giggles, if the Caps could trade Carlson for an impact forward and sign Dima instead, do you give Orlov Carly's money? Can Sandin learn to make the Ovie pass...

Hell yes. Orly > Carly

Of course Orlov wants to come back. All his Russian buds are here. That it is a big factor. The people make the place. Now how much is it worth to him??

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hell yes. Orly > Carly

Of course Orlov wants to come back. All his Russian buds are here. That it is a big factor. The people make the place. Now how much is it worth to him??
With this upcoming free agency class pretty terrible Orlov seems like he'll be towards the top so guess we'll see how the market plays out.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I read the full transcript and I didn’t get the impression that he was desperate to come back but who knows. I still think he chases the money and I don’t blame him.

And I don’t think all of his Russian buds will be here next year…
He just said he’d be interested and nothing more. I’d be very shocked if we signed any more LHD (or if we threw big money at any FA dman for that matter)

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
That would be absolutely great, but not sure how the D depth works with it after already bringing both Jensen and TvR back.

Fehervary-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Sandin-TvR
Hardy-Alexeyev
Iorio-Chesley

Sure looks great but eats a lot of cap. And blocks AA and Iorio miles away from regular spot.

Anyways, if you can get Orlov for a home discount price you just go for it and figure out the rest later, right? Who cares if its 7 years? Only thing that matters is the cap number.

After the 2 years of Ovie-era we are not ready to compete for another 2-3 years atleast and will have gazillion dollars of cap space, and its not going to be a problem to figure out the last couple years out in freaking 2028 or something. We might have flying cars by then, but im sure Robidas Island still takes newcomers when its that time.

Only thing that makes it a 'decision' at all is how much of money will it eat from getting the help for top6/top9 in offence.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Man would I give him 6 years? prolly who cares about those last few years
Agreed. Go something like 6-6-6-5-4-3 for an overall 5M cap hit. If by some miracle they're not in the middle of a rebuild for the last few years of the deal and actually need the cap space, the lower real dollars would make it easy to dump the contract on a team like Arizona.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Unless something drastic changes, I don't see the fit.

It's not like they weren't negotiating with Orlov previously. Reportedly, the got hung up on term. Orlov just stated his views this as his last contract, which presumably indicates he wants long-term. The Capitals already have enough pricey retirement contracts on the books, they can't really fit another one. And with the other notable UFA D men this summer being mostly one dimensional second/third pairing guys (like Gustafsson, Klingberg, and Gostibehere offensively or Luke Schenn or Justin Holl on the other end of the spectrum) - Orlov is bound to attract attention as the best two-way defenseman on the UFA market. Gavrikov is his most direct competition. Somebody is bound to come close to what Orlov wants, and the Capitals weren't willing or able to do that prior to the trade deadline.

Additionally, the Caps need too much help up front to fit in another sizable contract on the back-end. Even if they shed one of their sizable contracts (like Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Mantha, or Oshie), they will need to reinvest that cap hit into forwards. It would take two or more sizable contracts moving out this off-season for them to fit a piece like Orlov back into the puzzle.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Unless something drastic changes, I don't see the fit.

It's not like they weren't negotiating with Orlov previously. Reportedly, the got hung up on term. Orlov just stated his views this as his last contract, which presumably indicates he wants long-term. The Capitals already have enough pricey retirement contracts on the books, they can't really fit another one. And with the other notable UFA D men this summer being mostly one dimensional second/third pairing guys (like Gustafsson, Klingberg, and Gostibehere offensively or Luke Schenn or Justin Holl on the other end of the spectrum) - Orlov is bound to attract attention as the best two-way defenseman on the UFA market. Gavrikov is his most direct competition. Somebody is bound to come close to what Orlov wants, and the Capitals weren't willing or able to do that prior to the trade deadline.

Additionally, the Caps need too much help up front to fit in another sizable contract on the back-end. Even if they shed one of their sizable contracts (like Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Mantha, or Oshie), they will need to reinvest that cap hit into forwards. It would take two or more sizable contracts moving out this off-season for them to fit a piece like Orlov back into the puzzle.
It does seem unlikely. But if we move out 2 overpaid forwards and trade Fehervary for a top 6 forward, than there's an opening for Orlov. If we win the lottery than it makes even more sense.

If Orlov wants to be here on a good deal and this makes Ovie happy, it should be considered.

I'm guessing a desperate team will give him 7x7 and none of this matters. Columbus is my gut feeling.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
On the fence on this one.

Having a glut of defensemen is not necessarily a bad thing. It wasn't that long ago where the Capitals one season had to dress 12 different defensemen due to injuries etc.. Orlov's veteran presence would benefit the younger dmen. I kind of look at dmen like I do starting pitching in the MLB, five starters are not going to make it through the season, you better have five more ready to jump in.

The term is the concern. Salary, this time next year Mantha should be off the books, hopefully not Wilson. Two years from now, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov and Dowd will all be off the books. That's about 30 mil, a third of this team's cap.

So I'll leave it to the board's capologist to see if it can work.

Finally, what moves the needle for me would be if for no other reason, is to avoid seeing him in a Penguins jersey.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Just for reference. Orlov is plenty capable of making the Ovi pass on the PP.

Also capable of launching the point shot, which Bertuzzi tips in for another PP goal.

These were back to back PP goals in a G7. Johnny, who?

He really had an incredible run with the B’s, and it’s almost embarrassing that our coaching staff didn’t unleash him in the same manner.

I’d love to have him back with how weak our LDs will be. But, someone will probably overpay for him.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The player to move if we want Orly back is JC. Significantly overpaid for his value at this point and only going to continue to decline. Moving JC would pay for Orly plus some room for other candy.

As @RedRocking points out with video, Orly can play the point on the PP just fine now that Forsythe and his cast in cement system is gone.

Reactions: RedRocking

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe Carlson's value is still high around the league but I feel like the time to move him has come and gone.

His injury last year was a freak injury, no doubt about it. But he's been banged up the past few years too. He'd certainly draw interest around the league but not enough where I think it makes sense to move on from him now. 2-3 years ago? Absolutely, they should have moved on then and got a king's ransom for him. But I think their best course of action now is to just hold onto him and see how he does this year. No reason they can't trade him next offseason if the market for him is better and they feel like they can move on from him without sacrificing too much.

Reactions: crab and Hivemind

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd be very surprised to see the Capitals move Carlson after what he went through this past season with that injury. I don't think it would go over well with other Capitals players and I just don't see Ted approving it. It's just not in his DNA.

I agree that there was a time when the Capitals should have moved Carlson, a year or two ago. But that ship has sailed and I just see him finishing out his career as a Capital now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad