Proposal: Boston/Dallas

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Caron and a fourth might get you Zach Hamill back on this team.In Chris Kelly's best year, he was 0.4756 points per game. Career with Boston? 0.4151. Career? 0.3866. Right now he is 0.375.

Peverley is certainly behind normal production, but then again, so is Seguin. Does Seguin need new linemates?

It's early. Some people start fast, some start slow, some stay consistent. It's not right to redo the Ryder thing when there's plenty of time to make a fair evaluation of Bourque (or how Paille looks on the third line with MacDermid and Thornton both on the fourth line, which I find redundant and difficult for Campbell, hence I prefer Paille there) while seeing who will become available for trade down the stretch.

Neither ryder? Didn't he just ask for a trade from the Islanders? ;)

Correct.

And if the Bruins still had Hamill it would be suggested we put him in the trade too.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
I do believe that letting Ryder walk was one of the worst recent decisions by B´s management. They went from a 4 line team to a 2 line team. I´m not saying that bringing him back would right the ship, but a player of his calibre would surely make the Bruins bona fide contenders again, which, frankly, at this point I´m not sure they are.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I do believe that letting Ryder walk was one of the worst recent decisions by B´s management. They went from a 4 line team to a 2 line team. I´m not saying that bringing him back would right the ship, but a player of his calibre would surely make the Bruins bona fide contenders again, which, frankly, at this point I´m not sure they are.
I am not sure they had much choice.Ryder was coming off a very good playoff and obviously got a very good contract from Dallas.As much as I like Ryder[and also would like him back]I don't think he is worth the money he is getting particularly from a Bruin point of view, where we had to watch many lackluster performances throughout the regular season.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I am not sure they had much choice.Ryder was coming off a very good playoff and obviously got a very good contract from Dallas.As much as I like Ryder[and also would like him back]I don't think he is worth the money he is getting particularly from a Bruin point of view, where we had to watch many lackluster performances throughout the regular season.

By very good, you mean a pay cut of .5mil?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

Unless he would have wanted more to come back to Boston than he got to go to Dallas, we could have fit him under the cap last year if we used Savvy's LTIR and we could have fit him under the cap this year. And he's a free agent after this year. The cap's not an issue. Letting him go was a mistake.

Oh, and I don't think our performance in the regular season is what held us back last year. Nor do I think Ryder is a worse regular season player than Pouliot or Bourque. Why is that a reason we shouldn't have kept him?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Unless he would have wanted more to come back to Boston than he got to go to Dallas, we could have fit him under the cap last year if we used Savvy's LTIR and we could have fit him under the cap this year. And he's a free agent after this year. The cap's not an issue. Letting him go was a mistake.

Oh, and I don't think our performance in the regular season is what held us back last year. Nor do I think Ryder is a worse regular season player than Pouliot or Bourque. Why is that a reason we shouldn't have kept him?
Just because we could have fit him under the cap is that a good enough reason to bring him back? Isn't Ryder making quite a bit more money than Bourque or Pouliot [last year]?If someone is making significantly more money than Pouliot for example I know I expect much better results.In his last year with Boston, Ryder was average at best in the regular season .

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
By very good, you mean a pay cut of .5mil?
His current salary is .5 mill less than what he was getting with the B's? I wouldn't know ,but considering Ryder's spotty play his last couple of years with the B's he was lucky to get anywhere close to what he was getting with the B's.His great play in the playoffs obviously helped with that.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Just because we could have fit him under the cap is that a good enough reason to bring him back? Isn't Ryder making quite a bit more money than Bourque or Pouliot [last year]?If someone is making significantly more money than Pouliot for example I know I expect much better results.In his last year with Boston, Ryder was average at best in the regular season .

Over three playoffs seasons, Ryder was third in points (behind Krejci and Bergeron) and second in goals (behind Krejci). I would have re-signed Ryder for this reason alone, but I was ok with letting him walk IF the Bruins got an upgrade or a comparable talent for less. They didn't do either and the team was worse for it and each year Ryder’s replacement got worse (Poluiot now Bourque). Yes, you should re-sign players if you can afford it and don’t have any real options to improve. Cap space is useless unless it’s being used.
His current salary is .5 mill less than what he was getting with the B's? I wouldn't know ,but considering Ryder's spotty play his last couple of years with the B's he was lucky to get anywhere close to what he was getting with the B's.His great play in the playoffs obviously helped with that.
Using cap inflation, Ryder is making a lot less in Dallas than Boston.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

You'd rather waste the cap space and downgrade our third line?

And who cares how Ryder would have been in the regular season last year (even if you ignore the fact that he was dominant in Dallas)? We were good enough in the regular season. And lost in the first round of the playoffs, where Ryder has always been good.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I think we concluded that by letting Ryder go was to get a less expensive player so we sign our stars?

If that was the case then any beefs on missing Ryder were solved.

I liked the Ryder signing and I knew what to expect (still frustrating) from him. Then I liked the Pouliot signing too, reason being that the 2 proved they were able to play in the NHL. That including their deficiencies.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
You'd rather waste the cap space and downgrade our third line?

And who cares how Ryder would have been in the regular season last year (even if you ignore the fact that he was dominant in Dallas)? We were good enough in the regular season. And lost in the first round of the playoffs, where Ryder has always been good.
I am not ignoring the fact Ryder was dominant with Dallas but I actually do care if a guy coasts through much of the regular season.Of course,I would want Ryder on the 3rd line over some of the duds[Pouiliot,Caron,Bourque]we have had since he left but it seems many on this board feel he is the only solution to beefing up the 3rd line.I disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad