Proposal: Boston/Colorado

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Torey Krug for Tyson Barrie.

These two players are the same age, they put up 44 and 49 points this year, their career averages are almost identical. Colorado is able to get a Barrie-caliber defenseman for less while Boston gets the right handed PMD they covet. Bruins are able to do this because they feel confident they can sign Yandle to replace Krug on the second pair...

Chara - Barrie
Yandle - K.Miller
Seid's - C.Miller

The defense gets a major upgrade in terms of talent and fit, without having to deal away forwards from the roster.

If the deal needs a sweetener, the Bruins could also include Seth Griffith, who I think is going to be a solid NHL'er, he just doesn't seem to be what the Bruins are looking for right now.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Barrie is an albatross in his own end and wants somewhere 6 to 8 million on his next contract. I'd take Krug every single day of the week.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Torey Krug for Tyson Barrie.

These two players are the same age, they put up 44 and 49 points this year, their career averages are almost identical. Colorado is able to get a Barrie-caliber defenseman for less while Boston gets the right handed PMD they covet. Bruins are able to do this because they feel confident they can sign Yandle to replace Krug on the second pair...

Chara - Barrie
Yandle - K.Miller
Seid's - C.Miller

The defense gets a major upgrade in terms of talent and fit, without having to deal away forwards from the roster.

If the deal needs a sweetener, the Bruins could also include Seth Griffith, who I think is going to be a solid NHL'er, he just doesn't seem to be what the Bruins are looking for right now.

I will be gentle and just say that this is pretty bad for Colorado.

Top pairing guy for 2nd pairing guy with an AHL tweener to balance it won't do it.

Pts isn't the best way to compare D, even when both are offensive D, especially when one has 3x the number of goals than the other.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Barrie is an albatross in his own end and wants somewhere 6 to 8 million on his next contract. I'd take Krug every single day of the week.

Is it going to cost less for Shattenkirk? Everyone they're interested in is going to cost that kind of money AND they're probably going to cost roster assets. The strength of this deal is that you don't have to gut your offense by trading Krejci or giving up on another young talented player like Spooner/Pastrnak.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is it going to cost less for Shattenkirk? Everyone they're interested in is going to cost that kind of money AND they're probably going to cost roster assets. The strength of this deal is that you don't have to gut your offense by trading Krejci or giving up on another young talented player like Spooner/Pastrnak.

Then the question after next year is how are they going to afford all these players if nothing goes from the forward group?

Krejci, Bergeron locked up longterm, need to re-sign Marchand, Pasta and Spooner next year with Barrie contract and another top3D-player that would have to be found to make that defense work.

I also don't think Chara-Barrie-Yandle top3 would fit well together, due to not having another defensive top4 on the roster.
Would rather try other deals 1st and if they fail I'd look at Colorado then.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like Barrie alot but in the games I`ve watched with the Avs (maybe a dozen), found he`s really soft on the puck, maybe that`s just me

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like the idea of using Krug as an asset to bring in a Top 4 RD and signing Yandle to replace him.

But if Barrie wants 6-8 million per (lets meet halfway at 7 mil) I don't know if I would give him that. Good player, not sure he's a 7 million guy.

I'd rather they use Krug ++ to get Trouba if negotiations between him and the Jets get testy.

Of all the potentially (and I stress potentially) available RD this summer out there in the trade market, Trouba to me is the best fit on a pairing alongside Chara.

But the idea to use Krug as an asset and replace him with Yandle is sound.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Krug isn't going to get it done. Sorry, didn't see this was on your board. I don't think they should be taking package deals for Barrie either, if they are going to move him it needs to be for the single best singular asset they can get.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I will be gentle and just say that this is pretty bad for Colorado.

Top pairing guy for 2nd pairing guy with an AHL tweener to balance it won't do it.

Pts isn't the best way to compare D, even when both are offensive D, especially when one has 3x the number of goals than the other.

Thank you for being gentle.

That said, I don't know that Barrie is a superior goal scorer, they had the same number of goals last year and Barrie's got 40 in his career to Krug's 30. Krug's lower goal total this year could be the shoulder injury he was playing with, but he outshot Barrie by a wide margin.

I don't believe Barrie is a "top-pair defender" for them either. He plays 3rd most minutes on their team, and mostly with Nick Holden. Erik Johnson and Beauchemin are their top pair. As a right now, this is a deal with two 24 year old, 2nd pair, offensive defensemen.

All that said, I'd like to see you and Moltisanti debate this because according to him, if you take away the offense, Krug is the superior player. :popcorn:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That said, I don't know that Barrie is a superior goal scorer, they had the same number of goals last year and Barrie's got 40 in his career to Krug's 30. Krug's lower goal total this year could be the shoulder injury he was playing with, but he outshot Barrie by a wide margin.

I don't believe Barrie is a "top-pair defender" for them either. He plays 3rd most minutes on their team, and mostly with Nick Holden. Erik Johnson and Beauchemin are their top pair. As a right now, this is a deal with two 24 year old, 2nd pair, offensive defensemen.

All that said, I'd like to see you and Moltisanti debate this because according to him, if you take away the offense, Krug is the superior player. :popcorn:

Barrie is a fantastic offensive player, he's a 50 point player and his best offensive season is 53 vs Krugs 44.

Bostons RD group is the worst in the league, no contest and like you just said their #1D is Johnson who happens to be RD, playing behind him doesn't mean Barrie can't be #2/3.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
But the idea to use Krug as an asset and replace him with Yandle is sound.

:thumbu:

I agree, and that's where this started. They want to improve. They want to make the playoffs. They're not going to do that by trading away Krejci's and Spooner's. That's just robbing Peter to pay Paul. They need to add without subtracting and adding Yandle so that they could move Krug would allow them to do that, the only issue is you lose 5 years in that swap. That's where guys like Barrie and Trouba come in.

Barrie makes sense to me because Colorado is weak on defense and they have to move an impact player- so I would think they'd want to get a D back in that move.

Someone on Winnipeg makes sense to me too, because Winnipeg has 3 right handed top4 defensemen in Buff, Myers and Trouba. They may be more open to trying one of them on their off-side but I've also seen threads where their fans talked about moving one of them for a left-sider of similar ability. Krug/Barrie seems more like/like exchange than Krug/Peg D but there could be something there too.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

In doing what?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
:thumbu:

I agree, and that's where this started. They want to improve. They want to make the playoffs. They're not going to do that by trading away Krejci's and Spooner's. That's just robbing Peter to pay Paul. They need to add without subtracting and adding Yandle so that they could move Krug would allow them to do that, the only issue is you lose 5 years in that swap. That's where guys like Barrie and Trouba come in.

Barrie makes sense to me because Colorado is weak on defense and they have to move an impact player- so I would think they'd want to get a D back in that move.

Someone on Winnipeg makes sense to me too, because Winnipeg has 3 right handed top4 defensemen in Buff, Myers and Trouba. They may be more open to trying one of them on their off-side but I've also seen threads where their fans talked about moving one of them for a left-sider of similar ability. Krug/Barrie seems more like/like exchange than Krug/Peg D but there could be something there too.

Yeah, Barrie isn't a top pairing D. He and Krug get about the same minutes and deployments. Krug scored a little more at even strength, and Barrie a little more on the power play.

Krug's on ice GAA is about half a goal per 60 minutes better than Barrie, although, thats probably more about the teams they play on than anything.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's always laughable that the suggestion to "fix" the team's defensive woes is to move Krug for a similar player and then sign Yandle. Which of those guys are going to fix and shore up the defense, because both are severely lacking in their own end. In fact, that move would make the defense the B's currently ice actually worse defensively, IMO. Krug catches a lot of **** here, but he's not nearly the defensive liability people make him out ot be. FWIW, I'd prefer Barrie over Yandle every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but not at 6Mill plus per. Yandle has never impressed me with his play. He's a poor mans version of Tomas Kaberle...

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
If Krug and Barrie are similar players, and that's a big IF as I know little about Barrie, where's the gain in a trade?? Barrie wants somewhere around 7 million and Krug will probably get 5 million.

Sorry but I'm not a fan of Yandle at all. Shattenkirk maybe. But any defenceman at 7 million a season better have it all. Size, physical, good offensively and defensively.

Playmakers, in your thread, you never included Mcquaid in your defensive lineup!! Maybe just an overlook.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
hearing a ton about offensive stats here, how Barrie is an upgrade from Krug but I still haven`t heard one fan here defend his (Barrie) rather soft play in the D zone? I love, and I mean love his offensive game, how could you not? I also love Krug`s offensive game and I`m willing to bet his goal total this year will be a forgotten memory moving forward but I`ll take Krug`s game in his zone every day of the week over Barrie`s

Probably only seen Barrie about a dozen times, and I`m not sure I saw him a) lay a hit or engage in one and b) play with half the willingness in regards to physicality that Krug brings even at his size

To me, this is a waste of time. If ya wanna stat, for as bad as Krug`s goal scoring was this season, he was still a plus player, go check out the numbers on Barrie

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Krug and Barrie are similar players, and that's a big IF as I know little about Barrie, where's the gain in a trade?? Barrie wants somewhere around 7 million and Krug will probably get 5 million.

Sorry but I'm not a fan of Yandle at all. Shattenkirk maybe. But any defenceman at 7 million a season better have it all. Size, physical, good offensively and defensively.

Playmakers, in your thread, you never included Mcquaid in your defensive lineup!! Maybe just an overlook.

The gain is that you'd be getting a right hander to play on his strong side next to Chara. Krug is a lefty/left sider. So is Yanlde, who could be acquired without gutting the roster, which is key for a team that wants to improve. Shattenkirk will cost you assets now (Krejci? Spooner?) and more than $7m when he's unrestricted.

I left McQuaid out on purpose. I think Kevan is better and will sign for similar, I'd like to see them trade McQuaid.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
The gain is that you'd be getting a right hander to play on his strong side next to Chara. Krug is a lefty/left sider. So is Yanlde, who could be acquired without gutting the roster, which is key for a team that wants to improve. Shattenkirk will cost you assets now (Krejci? Spooner?) and more than $7m when he's unrestricted.

I left McQuaid out on purpose. I think Kevan is better and will sign for similar, I'd like to see them trade McQuaid.

I have to disagree on K. Miller being better than McQuaid. They are close but, IMO, McQuaid brings the intimidation factor that Miller doesn't. Also we need help on the left side more than on the right. FWIW, I'm not thrilled with the original proposal either, and certainly don't want Yandle. I'd look for a youngish, left shooting, all around D-man so I could move Chara to the 2nd pairing where, IMO, he would be outstanding (read Hampus Lindholm) and I'd be willing to give up Marchand + for him.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I have to disagree on K. Miller being better than McQuaid. They are close but, IMO, McQuaid brings the intimidation factor that Miller doesn't. Also we need help on the left side more than on the right. FWIW, I'm not thrilled with the original proposal either, and certainly don't want Yandle. I'd look for a youngish, left shooting, all around D-man so I could move Chara to the 2nd pairing where, IMO, he would be outstanding (read H. Lindstrom) and I'd be willing to give up Marchand + for him.

I was waiting for a trade Marchand proposal from you. Just to be consistent.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand it from a LD vs RD gain, but honestly I don't like Barrie enough to give up Krug for him.

Krug may not be a great defender, but he is a warrior out there on the ice. Super high character kid who could

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't want to speak for Moltisanti but I assume he meant everything besides offense, such as defending, willingness to engage and win battles in the corners and in front of the net, keeping players to the outside, blocking shots, limiting shots, all that jazz.

I think that Krug's effort and desire is certain,but most of his skills inside the blueline are limited.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
it's always laughable that the suggestion to "fix" the team's defensive woes is to move krug for a similar player and then sign yandle. Which of those guys are going to fix and shore up the defense, because both are severely lacking in their own end. In fact, that move would make the defense the b's currently ice actually worse defensively, imo. Krug catches a lot of **** here, but he's not nearly the defensive liability people make him out ot be. Fwiw, i'd prefer barrie over yandle every day of the week and twice on sunday, but not at 6mill plus per. yandle has never impressed me with his play. He's a poor mans version of tomas kaberle...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^'nuff^^^^^^^^^^^^^said!

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

The bold. I will admit that I haven't seen a lot of Av's games. But from what I have seen, Barrie is a joke in his own end. But at the same times, there are games where he is the difference maker in the O zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad