Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
First time in my life I was rooting for Toronto.

I don't really follow the team.. so this is a brief opinion... but kick both Marner and JT to the curb and use all that free $$$ to get some heart on the team.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So, similar to how the Jets swept the Avs in the regular season, won game 1 of the playoffs, and then got absolutely spanked the next 4 games?

And have absolutely nothing worth bragging about for the entire existence of their franchise?
Was I bragging about the Jets?

The Avs were the better team without a doubt.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
First time in my life I was rooting for Toronto.

I don't really follow the team.. so this is a brief opinion... but kick both Marner and JT to the curb and use all that free $$$ to get some heart on the team.
I think they're stuck with JT's contract. Marner may be traded though

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Really thought the Leafs were going to win this one.

They outplayed the Bruins, almost greatly, in these last 3 games. They were clearly the more physical team too. Unclutch play of certain players (*cough* marner *cough*) sinks the whole ship.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How many years have bruin fans endured the following remarks from leaf fans ...

Bruins are too old and slow
Bruins have zero depth
Bruins have zero prospects ... ranked worst in the league
Leafs have improved at goaltending
Leaf young core fowards will be dominant for years
Referees are the reason all things go wrong for leafs

Good series but solid reminder successful teams build goaltending out. Yes Swayman a big reason the bruins may have won this series ... but then again the bruins are built this way and the leafs are not.

Before the "Dubas" Tavares signing I was worried the leafs could finally be building something special...

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Really thought the Leafs were going to win this one.

They outplayed the Bruins, almost greatly, in these last 3 games. They were clearly the more physical team too. Unclutch play of certain players (*cough* marner *cough*) sinks the whole ship.
The Bruins outhit the Leafs the last 3 games.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2 points in 7 games from a player taking up 11 million in cap space is absolutely gut wrenching . Toronto needs to trim the fat and trade him (and Marner) this off-season. he’s just taking up space and wasting their core’s window
It wasn't even just the lack of points from Tavares, I don't even remember him doing much of anything to create chances. When Max Domi is vastly outplaying you and much more noticeable in the offensive end than you, that's a problem.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

Good series but a solid reminder teams should build goaltending out. Yes Swayman is a big reason the bruins may have won this series ... Hence why the bruins are simply a better team.
I'll give due credit, Woll looked really good. If he plays instead of Samsonov maybe they win. He definitely should have started game 1

Reactions: Sentinel

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
It wasn't even just the lack of points from Tavares, I don't even remember him doing much of anything to create chances. When Max Domi is vastly outplaying you and much more noticeable in the offensive end than you, that's a problem.
He’s always looked extremely passenger-esque whenever I watched him. He’s extremely underwhelming

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Matthews has the best deal in the NHL and likely some others combined, when you consider other factors.

He never has to perform like elite players do in the playoffs. He will always have the goalie excuse, that is caused by his and other Super Elite players cap hits that by themselves restrict the team to trash goalies.

I voted TO in 6. Maybe if Matthews missed one more game I would've had it.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Matthews has the best deal in the NHL and likely some others combined, when you consider other factors.
Except without a cup, no one will consider him an elite leader. And in that market it's never easy.

Reactions: Frosty415

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Except without a cup, no one will consider him an elite leader. And in that market it's never easy.
You'll see. He has been trash before IE. vs CBJ and MTL, and no one says anything. He is their golden boy. He'll get no blowback for his poor effort.

Reactions: Samhockey3

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

He never has to perform like elite players do in the playoffs. He will always have the goalie excuse, that is caused by his and other Super Elite players cap hits that by themselves restrict the team to trash goalies.

I voted TO in 6. Maybe if Matthews missed one more game I would've had it.
The goalie excuse is so comical, when the Leafs offense has not scored 3 goals since dinosaurs existed. And this is with four $11M+ forwards.

If the goalie allows more than one goal, it’s game over.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
You'll see. He has been trash before IE. vs CBJ and MTL, and no one says anything. He is their golden boy. He'll get no blowback for his poor effort.
Only because he was more effective than 50% of the team, one of which was the Captain, and the other being Marner.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Mathews was not up to par and just didn't make an impact. But Toronto played well enough to win and that is a change from other Leaf series. Boston simply lacks scoring to beat Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad