Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Too bad you dont have a swayman cause all the money got used on four useless forwards.

1000002026.png

I'm not sure that's the reason why they don't have a Swayman.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
That's more the Bruins lack of fortitude than actual goaltending performance. Go ahead and start Woll next season and see what happens.

Also why wasn't Woll starting tonight?

The complaint is that their backup who gets paid 775k, and played 25 games this year with a RS save% of 0.907, was injured, and thus they were unable to score more than a single goal to win a series-clinching game.

I feel bad for the level-headed Leafs fans, but it's the ones with that bat-poop mentality that ruin it for the rest of them. No other fanbase (at least in the NHL) does this level of mental gymnastics to cope with failure.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Yes they hung on and won the series, but I still see a team in Boston that looks underwhelming and will be interesting to see if they possibly use the revenge factor to make vast improvements against the Panthers or if they just simply get rolled by the better team. We’ll see.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The complaint is that their backup who gets paid 775k, and played 25 games this year with a RS save% of 0.907, was injusred, and thus they were unable to score more than a single goal to win aseries-clinching game.

I feel bad for the level-headed Leafs fans, but it's the ones with that bat-poop mentality that ruin it for the rest of them. No other fanbase (at least in the NHL) does this level of mental gymnastics to cope with failure.

Samsonov had a worse save percentage than Woll for 2 consecutive regular seasons and playoffs. Samsonov was the first player the Leafs took to arbitration in their history.

If Swayman was injured, is Boston a worse team? Ullmark was 0-1 this series.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Samsonov had a worse save percentage than Woll for 2 consecutive regular seasons and playoffs. Samsonov was the first player the Leafs took to arbitration in their history.

If Swayman was injured, is Boston a worse team? Ullmark was 0-1 this series.
Ullmark played really good in that game, unfortunately matthews played better.

Luckily for ullmark matthews only shows up for 2 playoff games a year

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They have more confidence in playing loose hockey in front of him yes.

If you're scared your goalie can't make a save, you sacrifice offense for defense and play closer to your net.
Looser? They scored on average 1.5 goals for in regulation play in Woll's 2 starts. How is this evidence the Leafs are better looser and better offensively with Woll in net to Samsonov.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Looser? They scored on average 1.5 goals for in regulation play in Woll's 2 starts. How is this evidence the Leafs are better looser and better offensively with Woll in net to Samsonov.

Because they had many more chances in the games Woll was in net.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Every year the same thing - Toronto loses then their fans spend days, weeks, months dissecting what went wrong. I guess this time it's the goalie's fault they lost a 2-1 game.

The Leafs fail because its their nature to fail. They've proved this time and time again. No Cup since 67 - 7 of the last 8 years out in the first round, and so on. Wash, rinse, repeat - and many of their fans I know still think they're God's gift to hockey.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Well, hopefully those wholesale team changes are coming soon, starting with management. I have not liked the Leafs since Shanahan came into management. He just has an arrogance that I find offputting, much like Dubas, which is the only decision I was happy about that Shanahan made in not bringing Dubas back.

I would love to see Shanahan and Keefe both gone. Keefe was picked by Dubas, and Keefe has shown himself to not be really the caliber of coach the Leafs need. I would actually keep Treliving - they just brought him in and I do like SOME of the changes he has made and I would give him a chance but hopefully outside of Shanahan's influence.

Core 4 - always been a pet peeve of mine. Yes, I will concede Nylander pulled his weight this playoffs, but I have never been enthralled with the guy since he deliberately sat out years ago, demanding the Leafs pay him an overinflated amount, for which sadly the Leafs capitulated. I will say that while I am not fond of the guy, he was not to blame for the Leafs loss and he did pull his weight in the regular season and the playoffs.

I liked Tavares way back when he played with the Oshawa Generals and then followed him as a NY Islander. Have multiple jerseys of his and his rookie cards, etc. But as a Leaf, he has been very underwhelming. True enough he did not embarrass the captaincy in any way and by and large has been a good team ambassador (much more reflective of captain-type qualities unlike Marchand), but his play has really not aligned with the inordinate amount they are paying him. Unfortunately they are saddled with another, what, two years of this contract?

Matthews - not a fan of us either - I just don't like his personality and just find that he mannerisms (as well as Nylanders) is indicative of the type of persona that I am not crazy about in athletes nowadays. The fact that Matthews has been consistently a very poor playoff performer - another poster mentioned it perfectly when he compared Matthews to Embiid of the NBA. Great talent in regular season, but a ghost in the playoffs. But they are saddled with his contract and by and large, he has brought in tons of revenue to MLSE. I wouldn't be surprised once Tavares is done, they give the C to Matthews, which I think is a mistake, but that's just my opinion. Matthews brings in viewers, fans and revenue from merchandise, so I don't think he's going anywhere, especially since the Coyotes are no longer in Arizona.

Marner is either a wait it out for his contract to end, or sit him down and have a chat with him. He lacks the killer instinct and in my view, doesn't have the depth of focus that a guy like Zach Hyman had (I actually liked Hyman on the Leafs - character guy and hard worker - happy to see him having success in Edmonton) - I would think even if Marner has a NMC, they may try to see if they can work with him to move him elsewhere.

Up until the Shanahan era, I was a Leafs fan since I was younger back in the Wendel Clark / Iafrate / Salming / Wregget / Bester days and then enjoyed seeing them have success during the Gilmour / Potvin / Belfour days. I think probably this whole rendition of the Leafs has for me come down to various management (and this goes back even further to Brian Burke days) thinking they can pinpoint an easy solution to solve all that ails the Leafs, whether it is dumping money into superstars without thoroughly considering team chemistry and such, to bringing in "whiz kid" with analytic sexy trend analysis in Dubas... it would be nice for the Leafs to have management that was objective, not leverage pre-existing relationships for their staff, and more importantly, not looking for a sexy and quick fix, for what is seemingly a long stemming culture issue in this organization.

I am truly happy for past Leafs who have moved on and found success elsewhere. Loved seeing Kadri win a cup with the Avs, and now seeing Hyman, and Andersen right in the mix of competitive playoff races - it would be great to see them finally get rewarded for their hard work.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad