Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It was one of those plays that can make a player unsure,especially a goalie.The ricochet was faster than usual,and it went to the right spot.The players should have been on that more than the goalie,but it was a perfectly timed shoot in,and a perfect bounce,timed perfectly.Everything lined up perfectly on that play,including the Leafs players positions,and where they were skating at the time when the puck was shot in there.
Yeah. Not sure how Samsonov gets the blame here.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The poster they are replying to keeps putting all the blame on Samsonov who gave them a chance to win yet continues to ignore that the teams star players didn't show up once again in a game 7. That's why the broken record remark, they refuse to acknowledge that.

If Samsonov comes out to play the puck and gives, misplays it and gives it up he's going to get blamed. He makes the safe play and gets beat by one of the best goal scorers in the game and he still gets the blame.

Yes, highly paid professional athletes have some very high-pressure situations, I agree.

I've seen Samsonov play a number of times over the season. I think he isn't a goalie to bank on. The Leafs should hope that Woll can continue improving.
This series is over, too bad for the Leafs again.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Noticed Pasta blew Marners 'coverage' on the winning goal. Only time I noticed him.

Blaming Samsanov is coping hard. Gotta score more than 1 goal.
Seen a lot of people blame Marner but

1) That was a set play executed to perfection
2) If anyone is at fault on that play, it's Reilly for not immediately heading to the corner when Lindholm dumped it in. Marner is a winger, they never retrieve dump ins, and you can't "slow" a player down that is nowhere near the puck, that's interference.

Reactions: dukeofjive

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm referring to one goal. As I have mentioned in my previous posts here, I am not in any way absolving the top-$$ offense.
Seriously, my post is specifically focused on the OT series -winning goal.

Yes, i will look at Samsonov as a major part of that, and comment as I see it.
Most goalies let that goal in. So blame him for not being roy or hasek?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was one of those plays that can make a player unsure,especially a goalie.The ricochet was faster than usual,and it went to the right spot.The players should have been on that more than the goalie,but it was a perfectly timed shoot in,and a perfect bounce,timed perfectly.Everything lined up perfectly on that play,including the Leafs players positions,and where they were skating at the time when the puck was shot in there.
Someone (particularly Rielly) should've marked Pastrnak and been ready to out-race him for the puck because it was obvious even from watching the play develop what was going to happen as soon as Pasta dropped it back to Linholm then took off at full speed down the wing in the neutral zone.

Even if the Leafs didn't anticipate the dump taking a perfect bounce off the boards, it was clear what was going to be attempted on that play. Yet no one seemed to react until it was already too late.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Someone (particularly Rielly) should've marked Pastrnak and been ready to out-race him for the puck because it was obvious even from watching the play develop what was going to happen as soon as Pasta dropped it back to Linholm then took off at full speed down the wing in the neutral zone.

Even if the Leafs didn't anticipate the dump taking a perfect bounce off the boards, it was clear what was going to be attempted on that play. Yet no one seemed to react until it was already too late.

Leafs players were all thinking of scoring the OT goal, instead of making sure they don't give up the OT goal.

Nylander coasting even as the Bruins player approaching the puck shows that.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Yeah. Not sure how Samsonov gets the blame here.
Marner is a defensive,and offensive liability.
Brutal defense.How many times does a shoot in ever go right to an opposing player in front of the opponents net,and they score.I guarantee not a lot.Snakebitten again.
Go Edmonton !

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not just tonight but the last 5 winner take all games.

B1D63312-26CD-4738-9920-6FB79CD0DD6B.jpeg

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Leafs players were all thinking of scoring the OT goal, instead of making sure they don't give up the OT goal.

Nylander coasting even as the Bruins player approaching the puck shows that.
Leafs forgot they were in their own zone,and thought the puck would float out of their zone.They forgot they were in their own defensive zone.Not used to playing team defense,especially in OT..Brutal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Was a good series Toronto. Close.
I've seen Pastrnak score that goal at the Garden several times, so I don't think at all it was a fluke bounce. That's a set play the Bruins have been running for years.

Last several games I thought Keefe made some good adjustments although I think firing him is still necessary. Protect the house at all costs. Bruins had a real tough time getting the puck to the net with traffic. Made for some not so entertaining hockey but the Toronto blueline performed over my expectations. One team has been playing that way all year and the other hasn't. The Leaf forwards however, just not good enough. Too many one and done forays into the OZ, too many lost puck battles down low, and not enough actual creativity in their attack.

Swayman big old brass ones on this boi tho

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Yes, highly paid professional athletes have some very high-pressure situations, I agree.

I've seen Samsonov play a number of times over the season. I think he isn't a goalie to bank on. The Leafs should hope that Woll can continue improving.
This series is over, too bad for the Leafs again.
I don't think he's a goalie you can count on long term either but him getting all the blame for the loss in a game where he gave them a chance to win is ridiculous.

Matthews and Marner have zero goals in five game 7s. Combined they have 28 shots in those games Tavares has one goal and Nylander has two goals in those games. The team has scored 1 goal in four of those games yet no matter who the goalie is they get the most blame. The problem isn't the goalie, it's the fact the big four don't show up in the winner take all games. Add in the game 5 against Columbus where they were shut out by Korpisalo and it looks even worse for them.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Seen a lot of people blame Marner but

1) That was a set play executed to perfection
2) If anyone is at fault on that play, it's Reilly for not immediately heading to the corner when Lindholm dumped it in. Marner is a winger, they never retrieve dump ins, and you can't "slow" a player down that is nowhere near the puck, that's interference.
Regardless, that was the only noticeable play that Marner was attached, that I recall.

It's easy to blame him. He is a player they count on, and he didn't show up for the series.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad