Boston Bruins 2016 Draft Report Card

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Overall how do you grade the Bruins 2016 draft?

R1MXXn3.jpg

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
C solely based on the reach of Frederic. Bottom line that was a large reach and that's just not acceptable. If you like him you trade back to get other picks and take him later. If noone wants to trade up then you simply select a better player. Very happy with McAvoy pick and Lindgren pick... I may have prefered Fabbro/Neimelainen but we got 2 good D no doubt about.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
C. Would have warranted a B except for R1 P29. Still don't understand why he couldn't have been taken later. Sweeney could have recouped a pick wasted on Liles and Stempniak and still gotten this guy whose ceiling, from all accounts, is a third liner.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Just cant grade it until we see how they work out.

I still cant wrap my head around the Fredric pick with Debrincat and so many other "potential" homerun types on the board.

I guess they dont want a superstar because they dont want to trade him in 3 years? I just see no justification for it.

I hope Fredric kills it in boston.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
McAvoy - A

Frederic - C

Jo Kopp - C

Lindgren - B+

Clarke - B

Steen - C+

Overall, I think the Bruins get a B grade for the draft. They upgrade their defensive pool in a big way and some size among their forwards. The projectables among the forwards are low, but I think we hit homeruns with McAvoy, Lindgren, and Clarke.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Luke warm in the 1st pick considering who was on the board, didn't like what looked like a reach at 29, but really liked 49. The lack of mid round picks makes the first 3 seem much more important though because who the hell knows about the last 3 picks.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
C-to-D.

It's not just that they messed up asset management with #29 (not trading down is inexcusable), but it's that they squandered draft picks with Stempniak and JML as ineffective band-aids, too.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I voted C. McAvoy wasn't my guy at 14, but he was a solid B+ (or more) pick

Frederic, we'll see if they are the smartest guys in the room, but huge gamble, and seems like a huge gamble for not tremendous upside. F

Lindgren B+

I like the 3 later picks. Can't take an F on a first round pick and get anything more than a C

Now in 3 years maybe the pick of Frederic looks like genius, but I can't credit them for it now

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gave it a C. Not bad, not great.

Fully supported the McAvoy pick. Was happy with any one of Fabbro/McAvoy/Chychrun at 14. Glad we got one.

Like the picks and value with Lindgren, Clarke, and Steen. Solid choices.

Joona Komponen...meh...don't see much upside there. Not terrible, nothing noteworthy about this pick.

Too many quality players with higher upside to support reaching the Frederic pick. He was late 2nd, more likely early 3rd material. His skill-set is simply too easy to acquire to justify using a 1st round pick on it. Although I will say I like his physical play, and think his hands and shot are underrated. Big bodied physical 3rd/4th line LW is likely his future.

Given the nature of the picks (all NCAA and European guys) this is a draft that really looks long-term. Outside of McAvoy, who I see turning pro next year or the year after, it will be about 4 years before we see any of these guys in Providence, let alone contributing to the Boston Bruins.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Luke warm in the 1st pick considering who was on the board, didn't like what looked like a reach at 29, but really liked 49. The lack of mid round picks makes the first 3 seem much more important though because who the hell knows about the last 3 picks.

Good point on the lack of middle picks. IMO, they couldn't afford to take a reach at 29 without a 3rd or 4th pick. Liked 14 and 49. That's it. Not a big haul for a team trying to rebuild. I'm upset with Frderic pic. Better players there. Maybe trade down for extra picks. "C"

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm giving a B. Three good choices on D in the first round from which to choose so I doubt they could have gone wrong. Was expecting Fabbro, but McAvoy could end up being a fierce competitor and a top 4 dman. Kid has room to develop, and playing where he will be alongside great talent in college should only enhance that talent. Lindgren is a very nice second round pick. Was ecstatic they got Carlo last year in the second round. I think Lindgren will also be a player that works out well for the Bs from the second round. Frederic was obviously a reach at 29. Nothing at all against Frederic. Who knows how he will turn out, just a curious choice to take someone that high who was projected to go much lower by the vast majority of scouting services. Lower picks rarely turn out to do much of anything, so whatever on the rest of the picks. Joona is intriguing based on his size. Overall the Bs have a good chance of having two of their picks make the NHL, with one of them being an impact player. That's not too bad.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
C+

Didn't like the asset management at 29 but I like what they did with the other 2 picks in the first couple of rounds. It's not even that I don't like the sound of Frederic as a player, it just seems like an egregious reach. Maybe nobody wanted to trade down. Idk.

But just from my point of view without knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes- C+

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Charlie was the safe pick at #14 simply because it will be easy for the Bruins to keep tabs on him playing at BU and getting familiar with TD Garden.

Something is up with Jakob Chychrun as he really dropped down.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
McAvoy and Lindgren have the potential to be A prospects. The rest are a wash. We shall see. They didn't do bad by any means. Frederic was a reach, period. But you never know, he may turn out to be a stud. He's a nasty character.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I have them a D. Number one objective was to use the draft capital to acquire an NHL player. They get an F on that account. Mcavoy and lindgren both B+/A- prospects, the bad value of Frederic is an F. The rest of the draft basically not graded. Call it a D overall. Acquiring Dman F, asset management F, 2 picks get a B+.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
McAvoy and Lindgren have the potential to be A prospects. The rest are a wash. We shall see. They didn't do bad by any means. Frederic was a reach, period. But you never know, he may turn out to be a stud. He's a nasty character.

Wisconsin is banking on Frederic to jump start their program so...

It could be as simple as because so many good players were on that St Louis team that he wasn't ranked as high as he should be.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I have them a D. Number one objective was to use the draft capital to acquire an NHL player. They get an F on that account. Mcavoy and lindgren both B+/A- prospects, the bad value of Frederic is an F. The rest of the draft basically not graded. Call it a D overall. Acquiring Dman F, asset management F, 2 picks get a B+.

Totally agree. That's a D because of those two main factors.

Donny had 1 mission - get a top 4 NHL defenseman who could play and improve our blueline today. FAIL.

And his secondary mission - stockpile and create assets through the draft, was also a fail. Pick #29 is a disgrace in particular. How many Jordan Carons do we have to waste 1st round picks on before we realize... hey you know what we could probably draft a 3rd/4th line grinder in the 3rd or 4th round, why don't we move back in the draft and pick up more assets?? *facepalm*

Facepalm-Meme-Picard-14.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Totally agree. That's a D because of those two main factors.

Donny had 1 mission - get a top 4 NHL defenseman who could play and improve our blueline today. FAIL.

And his secondary mission - stockpile and create assets through the draft, was also a fail. Pick #29 is a disgrace in particular. How many Jordan Carons do we have to waste 1st round picks on before we realize... hey you know what we could probably draft a 3rd/4th line grinder in the 3rd or 4th round, why don't we move back in the draft and pick up more assets?? *facepalm*

Facepalm-Meme-Picard-14.jpg

So if Sweeney severely over-paid for a Top 4 D-man all of a sudden this draft was a great success?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I gave him an F not because of the players he took, since we honestly won't know what they are for years, but for failing to fill any of their current holes on the roster.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Liked McAvoy, confused about Frederick, exited about Lindgren. 100+ picks are such a crapshoot, that I can't really rate them with any confidence.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Sweeney should get an F for not the picks alone but the strategy.

Loui walks for free. He couldn't even get anything for his rights.

Wasted picks 2,3, 4 and 5 on UFA's that did not help.

He never turned Trotman, or Randell or Koko, etc. into any assets.

Didn't make a trade.

Reaching with Frederick on the 29th.

For that alone he should get an F

He gets a D because he didn't screw up too much picking McAvoy.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I've seen two of these guys that I think I know 'okay' and think that they're both B+ and an argument could be made for one being an A- but we'll see. Now it is time to research and really look at the other guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad