Waived: [BOS] F Oskar Steen waived by the Bruins (cleared)

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The thighmaster has had his time to show he is a player in Boston and just has not been able to make that final push.

Will be surprised if he is not picked up by an NHL club that needs some speed and tenacity on their bottom line.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
He's nothing special. Maybe a team with injury issues will add him for some playoff depth as a 15th/16th forward but that's the extent of it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And I stand by it.

I haven't watched him much since. Has he been a difference maker for Calgary? If so, I'm glad, he's a hard worker but I'd put him on waivers again if we turned the clock back to August.
I mean as much as a 4th liner can be a difference maker, but he's actually be really good for us already set a career high in goals and was only 2 points from matching that career high before an ugly skate first collision with the boards. His work ethic has really rubbed off on guys.

The reason I brought him up wasn't to start anything, but rather if Steen is similar and we are sending guys out at the deadline, perhaps Steen is a guy we may look at on waivers.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
He's fast, flies in a straight line on the forecheck, rarely gets the puck. His shot leaves a lot to be desired and when he has the puck his creativity is AHL level.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Oskar is very welcome to finish the season back home in Karlstad, lifting the Le Mat Trophy for winning the SHL playoffs. :thumbu:
How would that be possible when the transfer deadline for SHL has passed and when he don't have an active agreement with Färjestad? Otherwise, hell yeah!

Even though I understand their dreams of playing the NHL, both Steen and Asplund should head home again and become our next core and club legends

Reactions: Seiza and Raymones

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
He doesn't offer anything. He is not physical. He does not have much creativity to his game. Will more than likely be in the euro leagues sooner rather than later.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Good soldier and hard worker who can play the defensive system to a T.

The puck never seems to find him.

Even when it does, he doesn't have great puck skills.

Big thighs.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I mean as much as a 4th liner can be a difference maker, but he's actually be really good for us already set a career high in goals and was only 2 points from matching that career high before an ugly skate first collision with the boards. His work ethic has really rubbed off on guys.

The reason I brought him up wasn't to start anything, but rather if Steen is similar and we are sending guys out at the deadline, perhaps Steen is a guy we may look at on waivers.
I’d prefer Greer over Steen personally
Steen throws a couple hits, gets in deep and messes around a little after the whislte
That’s about it. Does work hard out there tho.

Greer actually had some puck skill and drops the mitts. Much preferred him.

Steen had his chance here this season and is being sent down Greer stayed up and played all season…

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
How would that be possible when the transfer deadline for SHL has passed and when he don't have an active agreement with Färjestad? Otherwise, hell yeah!

Even though I understand their dreams of playing the NHL, both Steen and Asplund should head home again and become our next core and club legends
Yeah I know, just dreaming a bit. Him, Asplund and Eriksson Ek were awesome as juniors in FBK.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
How does one have his legs and not make it?
Great reminder to fans (on this site) that hockey talent always beats quickness/speed. It’s just relevant to the level of competition you’re playing against. His speed is relevant in the AHL, but not in the NHL.

He’s an interesting player though, because he does offer value to an NHL team.

Steen’s feet are just quicker than his mind processes things, when playing against “NHL players.” That shouldn’t be confused with a lack of hockey sense. Not at all. He should be able to land another NHL contract, if he wants another opportunity.

Reason being? He checks all the AHL boxes for younger veterans who produce against like talent, who can be a solid NHL filler for stretches.

So if he wants to play that role in NA, he’ll likely get another 2 year contract, with really nice AHL money.

Or he calls it quits and returns to Farjestad. Pretty sure he’s from there, and grew up in the program. That does mean a lot to many Swedes. Thing is, he’s in that fringe area of still being able to make more money in NA, even if that’s only playing 10-12 NHL games a year.

No reason to think he won’t get a $350k+ guarantee from an NHL team. Especially a team with a number of young Swedes coming over in the next 2-3 years.

If one of those teams has an extra roster spot available right now, nobody should be surprised if he’s claimed, and that team convinces him to stick around, and play that role next year. Wouldn’t even be surprised, if he clears and is then traded.. All depends what Boston is thinking, but flipping him to Providence for Richard, is the writing on the wall, he’s not in Boston’s plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad