PTO: [BOS] F Danton Heinen signs PTO with the Bruins

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like a fit for him. He can provide offense on the cheap, and without needing PP time or top 6 minutes, and they need to replace a lot of scoring. He can also go long periods where he does zilch too.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Understated player, positive impacts all over the ice, still <30. Shown everywhere he's played that he can facilitate real puck talent.
Despite this teams don't seem to like him very much. Boston originally shipped him off for Nick f***ing Ritchie, Anaheim and Pittsburgh both non-tendered him and he had to wait until September to only end up with a PTO

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's pretty meh at this point. I don't think he really pushes the play and I think he's dependent on being surrounded with solid players to produce. With that being said, he can produce really well for his ice time if you do play him with good players in the bottom-6.

He's like a complementary bottom-6 guy. He'll produce and play well if you have other good players in your bottom-6, but he'll just be another body if you don't have a good bottom-6.

Reactions: Zbynek and MMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't speak to what he's done the last few seasons, and since it's been 4 years since he left Boston there's obviously going to be regression so I'm not expecting the same guy from 2018 and 2019, but I'm firmly of the belief that he was one of the most underrated players in the game in that period.

He never scored a ton or popped out on the eye test, but literally every line he played with had significantly better expected goals for and against and corsi/fenwick numbers with him on the ice than they did without him. That includes Marchand and Bergeron whose underlying stats were technically better with Heinen than with Pastrnak in 2019. Heinen is one of those guys who does the little things right and makes his linemates better, even when you can't really see it.

With age and injuries, maybe he can't hang anymore, which is why he only got a PTO, but he's the type of guy I'm happy to have around. Not sure he'll dislodge anyone from the bottom 6, which is pretty loaded with similar types right now. But worth a shot.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Despite this teams don't seem to like him very much. Boston originally shipped him off for Nick f***ing Ritchie, Anaheim and Pittsburgh both non-tendered him and he had to wait until September to only end up with a PTO
He was a 3rd line staple in Boston through the '19 Cup run, even played a decent amount of time on the top line, he shifted there often when guys were hurt. They had a preoccupation with getting bigger, at the time, and also thought they would get much more out of Kase originally, who ofc has prohibitive brain damage.

It's unfortunate, with him. But, he isn't a guy who when you watch him really sticks out as an obvious impact player.

Reactions: BHD

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I can't speak to what he's done the last few seasons, and since it's been 4 years since he left Boston there's obviously going to be regression so I'm not expecting the same guy from 2018 and 2019, but I'm firmly of the belief that he was one of the most underrated players in the game in that period.

He never scored a ton or popped out on the eye test, but literally every line he played with had significantly better expected goals for and against and corsi/fenwick numbers with him on the ice than they did without him. That includes Marchand and Bergeron whose underlying stats were technically better with Heinen than with Pastrnak in 2019. Heinen is one of those guys who does the little things right and makes his linemates better, even when you can't really see it.

With age and injuries, maybe he can't hang anymore, which is why he only got a PTO, but he's the type of guy I'm happy to have around. Not sure he'll dislodge anyone from the bottom 6, which is pretty loaded with similar types right now. But worth a shot.
Can't speak for his time in Pittsburgh but he fell out of favor with the coaching staff in Anaheim pretty quickly. Frequent healthy scratch in his first full season after the trade

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He was a 3rd line staple in Boston through the '19 Cup run, even played a decent amount of time on the top line, he shifted there often when guys were hurt. They had a preoccupation with getting bigger, at the time, and also thought they would get much more out of Kase originally, who ofc has prohibitive brain damage.

It's unfortunate, with him. But, he isn't a guy who when you watch him really sticks out as an obvious impact player.

This is it, after the 2019 finals where the narrative was that they got outmuscled by the Blues, Sweeney overreacted and traded a productive player having a down year in Heinen for "size" in Nick Ritchie. Ritchie was the exact opposite of Heinen, who was an efficient quiet player. Ritchie just kept falling behind the play and taking dumb penalties, but he stood out because he hit people sometimes. Underrated gaffe. Kase was a throw-in on the Backes dump, and I still love the player but he couldn't stay healthy and seeing that many concussions and him still trying to play saddens me.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He was still solid enough as a depth guy for the Pens the past couple years. He's just very streaky and vanilla. It results in him being decent but highly replaceable. That's probably why he falls out of favor within a few years everywhere he goes.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Very hot and cold player, top 6 talent but lacks the consistency.

He should go dominate a euro league for a season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Scored 21 goals in 83 games for us two seasons ago. He's pretty solid defensively, makes the right play most the time.

Has no burst or offensive creativity, but has a nice shot. Shocked he needs a PTO. Solid bottom 6 guy.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
While I didn't dislike him as much as some on the Bruins board do, Bruins youth honestly just NHL ice time, growing pains and all.

Years of being a contender, while prospects shouldn't just be gifted ice time, I think they should also be put in the position to succeed, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad