Contract Termination: [BOS] Bruins part ways with Mitchell Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland

Statement from Bruins President Cam Neely:

"Today the Boston Bruins have decided to part ways with Mitchell Miller, effective immediately.

The decision to sign this young man was made after careful consideration of the facts as we were aware of them: that at 14-years-old he made a poor decision that led to a juvenile conviction. We understood this to be an isolated incident and that he had taken meaningful action to reform and was committed to ongoing personal development. Based on that understanding we offered him a contract.

Based on new information, we believe it is the best decision at this time to rescind the opportunity for Mitchell Miller to represent the Boston Bruins. We hope that he continues to work with professionals and programs to further his education and personal growth.

We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization. As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.

We are sorry that this decision has overshadowed the incredible work the members of our organization do to support diversity and inclusion efforts. We will continue to stand against bullying and racism in all of its forms.

To Isaiah and his family, my deepest apologies if this signing made you and other victims feel unseen and unheard. We apologize for the deep hurt and impact we have caused.

Finally, as a father, I think there is a lesson to be learned here for other young people. Be mindful of careless behaviors and going with the group mentality of hurting others. The repercussions can be felt for a lifetime."

Last edited by a moderator:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Just as I expected.

Made no sense, I knew as soon as the backlash started coming in they would terminate it. Still makes them look bad because now the narrative will always be they wanted to do it but were forced not to.

I was expecting sponsors to pull out and then they would reverse the decision, they probably got notified by their sponsors, plus the Bettman comments were a nail in the coffin.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
1667786985346.gif

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just an insanely idiotic couple days for the front office.

Claim they did all this detailed due diligence on the kid and then two days later release a statement that you actually totally misunderstood the entire situation despite the facts being readily available.

In a normal world, people lose their jobs over things like this. But given it seems it was Neely pushing the signing, nothing will happen.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You know maybe if he actually apologizes to the family and does a little more than mandatory service people will give him a chance. As of today f*** him.
Does none of this count?

"we put a plan together in place for his personal development, off-ice community service, diversity training, mental health stuff for himself personally, as far as people to talk to."

"From the people in community outreach that he was involved in, his billet family, his teammates, his coaches, people that are a part of our support staff, our bus driver, our trainer, our media guy, everybody just has overwhelming positive things to say about their personal interaction with him. When he would sit after a game for an hour every single home game and sign every autograph until fans were gone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad