May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1688140783351.png

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The amount of needless freaking out from folks on the Bruins board over WHY HAVE THEY NOT BOUGHT OUT REILLY YET... well... I'm glad it's over and we can move on to the next needless freaking out.

TLDR; between the Hall trade and this, the Bruins are fine on their RFAs and icing a full roster next season. Of course, they can be a better team if they more properly allocate more cap space into their forward group, but they don't have to do anything stupid now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Never understood how he got that contract in the first place.

He was really good post trade deadline with Carlo. Years prior some guy named Seidenberg was on his fifth team at 28 years old and had only gotten an offer for a one year deal the summer before... and the Bruins gave him a 4x4 deal after 17 games post trade deadline. You win some, you lose some.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He was really good post trade deadline with Carlo. Years prior some guy named Seidenberg was on his fifth team at 28 years old and had only gotten an offer for a one year deal the summer before... and the Bruins gave him a 4x4 deal after 17 games post trade deadline. You win some, you lose some.
He looked really good his first 20ish games with the Habs and then sucked complete ass.

But yeah, sometimes a FA works out and sometimes they don't

Reactions: TCB

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The amount of needless freaking out from folks on the Bruins board over WHY HAVE THEY NOT BOUGHT OUT REILLY YET... well... I'm glad it's over and we can move on to the next needless freaking out.

TLDR; between the Hall trade and this, the Bruins are fine on their RFAs and icing a full roster next season. Of course, they can be a better team if they more properly allocate more cap space into their forward group, but they don't have to do anything stupid now.
They don't have to.

But anything is possible with Sweeney.

Last time we had cap space, Sweeney signed Nick Foligno, Mike Reilly, and Derek Forbort to almost 10 million in cap space.

Positive, Neutral, Negative
Ullmark -> 5M, overall, with Swayman on an ELC, this was a positive
Haula -> 2.35M Used to acquire Zacha (a player rumored to not be qualified anyways), I'll say signing alone neutral
Foligno -> 3.8M, like the player, hated the contract, mostly an unmovable contract due to (lack of) on ice contribution, Hate to say it, but from a contribution to cap hit ratio, this was negative by a long shot.
Reilly -> 3M, Ok, for a bottom pair guy, but in the same season, acquiring Lindholm making him dead weight and providence bound. Our biggest negative
Forbort -> 3M, see Lindholm/Reilly situation. I feel like we could have lived with one or the other, but acquiring Lindholm made the signing of Forbort or Reilly a cap curse. Neutral leaning towards negative.
Nosek -> 1.75M, adequate price for his role, could have gotten cheaper, but could have done worse. Neutral leaning towards positive

Adding in we had John Moore signed at 2.75M already (Gryz 3.7, Reilly 3, Forbort 3, and Moore 2.75 = 12.45) for 4 players to fill 3 positions.

We acquire Lindholm (good idea, but didn't jettison enough deadweight) (6.5, 3.7, 3, 3) = 16.2M on 4 players to fill 3 players

We didn't qualify Kase or Ritchie (whom we paid assets for), to sign Foligno at 3.8.
Foligno gave us 39 points in 124 games, .31 points per game. @ 3.8 cap hit
Kase scored 27 points in 51 games, .51 points per game, albeit injured most of one season) @ an average of 1.325 cap hit
Ritchie scored 49 points in 131 games, .37 points per game, @ 2.5 cap hit (between 2 teams)

So we gave up 2 players that may have not been a great fit here, and filled 2 roster spots with 1 guy that performed arguably worse than both of them. While I understand Foligno's locke rroom contribution, steep price to pay without the output to match the cap.

Sweeney doesn't blow his load on LD and makes better use of the 3.8 he spent on Foligno because "he had cap space to use", Bruins aren't in a bad cap position. ALL the while knowing we still have yet to find the answer to who plays C beyond Bergeron and Krejci years.

Bergeron/Krejci coming back on extremely discounted prices says more about their character than Sweeney's GM-ing skills, so save them (or one of them) bailing him out again, Sweeney actually has to play smart with his cap space.

Anyways, my point after this ramble, AS LONG AS Sweeney doesn't just create new mistakes with his now "free cap space", We should be ok. This off-season will be very telling if he's learned from his mistakes. Time will tell.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They don't have to.

Last time we had cap space, Sweeney signed Nick Foligno, Mike Reilly, and Derek Forbort to almost 10 million in cap space.

Haula -> 2.35M Used to acquire Zacha (a player rumored to not be qualified anyways), I'll say signing alone neutral
Foligno -> 3.8M, like the player, hated the contract, mostly an unmovable contract due to (lack of) on ice contribution, Hate to say it, but from a contribution to cap hit ratio, this was negative by a long shot.
Reilly -> 3M, Ok, for a bottom pair guy, but in the same season, acquiring Lindholm making him dead weight and providence bound. Our biggest negative
Forbort -> 3M, see Lindholm/Reilly situation. I feel like we could have lived with one or the other, but acquiring Lindholm made the signing of Forbort or Reilly a cap curse. Neutral leaning towards negative.
Nosek -> 1.75M, adequate price for his role, could have gotten cheaper, but could have done worse. Neutral leaning towards positive

Adding in we had John Moore signed at 2.75M already (Gryz 3.7, Reilly 3, Forbort 3, and Moore 2.75 = 12.45) for 4 players to fill 3 positions.

We acquire Lindholm (good idea, but didn't jettison enough deadweight) (6.5, 3.7, 3, 3) = 16.2M on 4 players to fill 3 players

We didn't qualify Kase or Ritchie (whom we paid assets for), to sign Foligno at 3.8.
Kase scored 27 points in 51 games, .51 points per game, albeit injured most of one season) @ an average of 1.325 cap hit
Ritchie scored 49 points in 131 games, .37 points per game, @ 2.5 cap hit (between 2 teams)

So we gave up 2 players that may have not been a great fit here, and filled 2 roster spots with 1 guy that performed arguably worse than both of them. While I understand Foligno's locke rroom contribution, steep price to pay without the output to match the cap.

Sweeney doesn't blow his load on LD and makes better use of the 3.8 he spent on Foligno because "he had cap space to use", Bruins aren't in a bad cap position. ALL the while knowing we still have yet to find the answer to who plays C beyond Bergeron and Krejci years.

Bergeron/Krejci coming back on extremely discounted prices says more about their character than Sweeney's GM-ing skills, so save them (or one of them) bailing him out again, Sweeney actually has to play smart with his cap space.

Anyways, my point after this ramble, AS LONG AS Sweeney doesn't just create new mistakes with his now "free cap space", We should be ok. This off-season will be very telling if he's learned from his mistakes. Time will tell.
Gave Forbort, I think a 3 Team NTC also.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
They don't have to.

Forbort has been far better than Reilly ever was. He's a solid shutdown D,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad