Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki signs three-year extension

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good depth signing. He's a good 6/7 D and I'd much rather see him play instead of Phillips.

Trade is either close to being finalized or Ceci is really gonna have to outplay Gryba, Boro and Wier for a spot.

Good.

Ceci played very well for the first handful of games, but as soon as he was told he was sticking around for the rest of the season, he regressed quite noticeably. Kid could definitely use more time in the AHL. He's going to be a stud...no sense pushing him too much and effectively destroying his ceiling.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
They feel that Boro is responsible enough to be a depth defenceman, and he is getting paid like one. They like his game at his spot in the depth charts, I see nothing wrong with this.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate the outreach, thanks!

Not too sure on this signing. Why re-sign him for another three years when he hasn't even played one game on the current deal? Unless the organization is sure his value will skyrocket, in which case this could be a steal of a deal.

Sure hope it doesn't mean the Methot deal is falling apart, though. Would love to see Marc spend a long time here.

It's the only explication I see...

I don't understand why they couldn't wait a few months unless they have a really strong feeling he will take some value. He's 25 y/o and I think this buys 1 year of UFA

Anyway, they must really like his character and work ethic if they want him around for 4 years. A bit hard to understand this one but really hard to judge until the season is played.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Interesting signing... It shows a ton of faith in him but with only quite limited expectations. It seems like a character signing. Makes me think they have great confidence in his ability to be a depth Dman, and at 1.1 you generally won't get much better. It's necessary to have 8-9 nhl calibre Dmen and they love the intangibles that Borowiecki brings so I'm guessing the deal is based on all those factors.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
That makes seven defensemen signed for the 15-16 season. What is their plan? Let Methot walk?

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I don't understand what the rush was to sign him to an extension. I'm calling it now, Marc Methot will be traded. Also, what does that say to someone like F. Claesson? The guy could come to camp and be one of the better dmen and still not make the club because they have Phillips, Cowen, Methot, Boro and Wiercioch all ahead of him and signed to NHL contracts.

Last edited:

Jerk Store*

Meh on the signing, but thanks for posting here first Senscomms, very interesting way and it's nice to reward a community that discusses the team 24-7! Cheers!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So apparently a career line of 21gm-1g-0a-1pt-68pim over three seasons is worth a 3-year, 1-way NHL extension?

What. The. Actual. ****.

I'm not saying Boro can't live up to this contract, but that is a HELL of a commitment to 25-YEAR-OLD who has proven ABSOLUTELY ****ING NOTHING at the NHL level. Jesus, we let Da Costa go because we won't give him a single year's worth of a 1-way deal, but Boro gets 3 YEARS? Never mind that we're basically now blocking any young defenceman from getting any ice-time whatsoever over the next three years, UNLESS we trade a defenceman out to make room for him.

Looking forward to David Dziurzynski's 3-year extension and featured role on our "Points Per Dollar" line. That'll be swell.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm saying Methot to Buffalo / Calgary for a 2nd and a 5th and he'll sign an extention there.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm saying Methot to Buffalo / Calgary for a 2nd and a 5th and he'll sign an extention there.

Lol I can't even imagine our blue line without Methot man what a joke would we be. I'll wait before over reacting but for now I am not happy, not only because of the contract but because of the message it sends to the fans

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What is their plan? Let Methot walk?

If their plan is "replace Methot with Borowiecki because $$$", I will have a ****ing ****-conniption fit. Why spend $5mil when you can get a fraction of the talent for a fraction of the price, right?

Mark ****ing Borowiecki had better not be the plan to replace Methot.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
So apparently a career line of 21gm-1g-0a-1pt-68pim over three seasons is worth a 3-year, 1-way NHL extension?

What. The. Actual. ****.

I'm not saying Boro can't live up to this contract, but that is a HELL of a commitment to 25-YEAR-OLD who has proven ABSOLUTELY ****ING NOTHING at the NHL level. Jesus, we let Da Costa go because we won't give him a single year's worth of a 1-way deal, but Boro gets 3 YEARS? Never mind that we're basically now blocking any young defenceman from getting any ice-time whatsoever over the next three years, UNLESS we trade a defenceman out to make room for him.

Looking forward to David Dziurzynski's 3-year extension and featured role on our "Points Per Dollar" line. That'll be swell.
I met Dizzy and been rooting him on since, so I would be happy with that. I want him back on the fourth line

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
getting him signed to a cheap deal before he wins a couple norris trophies. smart

will wait until the final d group is presented before evaluating this deal

senility

May 23, 2005
This may be a little off the wall, but one other potential motivation is that this deal makes him a lot less likely to be picked up if they do try to pass him through waivers this year to eliminate the logjam on D. They probably have faith that he'll be an NHL defenseman over the life of this contract, but this buys them a little breathing room if he's not ready for primetime yet. They can afford to bury his minimum NHL salary in the minors this year, but they may not be prepared to risk losing him for nothing.

I would certainly prefer that to the more likely scenario that the writing is on the wall for one of Methot, Cowen and Wiercioch, who I would hope will be our starting three on the left side for years to come.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Guy is exactly what we need. A mean passionate shot blocker not to mention hes been bingo best dman for awhile. Yes that means better then claesson.I see him as more of a threat to Cowen over Methot. I'm a big Boro fan but still dont see the motivation for so much term.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
This may be a little off the wall, but one other potential motivation is that this deal makes him a lot less likely to be picked up if they do try to pass him through waivers this year to eliminate the logjam on D. They probably have faith that he'll be an NHL defenseman over the life of this contract, but this buys them a little breathing room if he's not ready for primetime yet. They can afford to bury his minimum NHL salary in the minors this year, but they may not be prepared to risk losing him for nothing.

I would certainly prefer that to the more likely scenario that the writing is on the wall for one of Methot, Cowen and Wiercioch, who I would hope will be our starting three on the left side for years to come.

That's an incredibly interesting POV. Teams will think long and hard about putting in a claim if it means a 4 year contract is attached. The only guy who would make a claim is Timmuh

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
An unnecessary commitment to a guy who hasn't shown he can play regular NHL minutes.

But my God does he work hard and come from the Ottawa region!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad