Books: Books, that are screaming for cinematic adaptation

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would like to see the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson as a TV show, don't think it would work as movies without cutting so much out.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Blood Meridian - altho, I don't think it can be done well, and that why it hasn't been done.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There were rumours for years about Hyperion getting adapted into a tv show, but nothing came of it. I don't know how anyone other than maybe HBO could pull it off, it'd be amazing if they did though.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch almost felt like it was written for the purpose of being turned into a movie, I just checked and a movie does appear to be in development.
I just don't want them to ruin the book.

I just fear they will pull the stupid PC crap with Jason Dessen and change the ethnicities and other crap, Jason isn't some jacked dude and can't fight and shouldn't like he should be able to, but they'll cast some buff dude and what not.

I love the book as well as you can tell, I just don't want them to ruin it. Not after Spielturd ruined Ready Player One.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I just fear they will pull the stupid PC crap with Jason Dessen and change the ethnicities and other crap, Jason isn't some jacked dude and can't fight and shouldn't like he should be able to, but they'll cast some buff dude..

That's standard operating procedure for contemporary hacks. My opinion, Spiderman is the perfect example.. skinny teenaged character gradually transformed into a bodybuilder, spun off in to different ethnic variations, and recently a co-worker told me there's now a Spiderman pig (Spider-Ham).
The industry standard now is to just reboot & reimagine the characters of earlier, better creators. /peace

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I just don't want them to ruin the book.

I just fear they will pull the stupid PC crap with Jason Dessen and change the ethnicities and other crap,

Maybe I don't remember the book as well as you do, but I don't recall anyone's race in the book being an important part of the story. So I don't see how it would matter.

That's standard operating procedure for contemporary hacks. My opinion, Spiderman is the perfect example.. skinny teenaged character gradually transformed into a bodybuilder, spun off in to different ethnic variations, and recently a co-worker told me there's now a Spiderman pig (Spider-Ham).
The industry standard now is to just reboot & reimagine the characters of earlier, better creators. /peace

These things are all in Into The Spider-Verse which is easily the best Spider-Man movie...

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Spider-Ham was first conceived of in 1983, with a solo series following in 1985.

Nothing "now" or "contemporary" about it.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Spider-Ham was a solo series.. in 1985.

Nothing "now" or "contemporary" about it.

This thread is about movie adaptions of book characters.. there was no Spider Ham movie back in the 80s. The pig character debuted in film recently (2018 Spider Verse, no ?). That's contemporary, and relevant to this thread. You're trying to split hairs & patronize me.. but you're using the facts selectively. And bigger picture, you're missing the spirit of my post. It's all about reimagining the creations of other people, specifically in current film.
Do you not see that in the endless Spidermen, and all the ethnically reimagined characters (?) peace.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
These things are all in Into The Spider-Verse which is easily the best Spider-Man movie... I don't recall race being important..

That's your subjective opinion, fair enough.
My point isn't about the quality of constantly ripping off other creators' ideas.. it was about the endless quantity.
Instead of creating new characters & concepts, much of contemporary TV & movies are about taking a previous creation, and just essentially erasing/replacing Caucasian characters (like Magnum PI, The Equalizer, various Karate Kid incarnations, Spider Man spin offs, ethnically reimagined Capt America & Green Lantern, the short-lived Uncle Buck TV series, the Charmed reboot, I could list dozens more, but..)
And in a vacuum, I agree with u, a fictional character's race shouldn't matter.. but it does matter to these hacks, or why would they keep altering/diluting the Caucasian characters.. A creator can't say with integrity, 'race doesn't matter', while they make it imperative to alter all the characters' ethnicities (?)

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
And in a vacuum, I agree with u, a fictional character's race shouldn't matter.. but it does matter to these hacks, or why would they keep altering/diluting the Caucasian characters.. A creator can't say with integrity, 'race doesn't matter', while they make it imperative to alter all the characters' ethnicities (?)

Because these are classic, well-known characters that are easy box office draws. Many of the most profitable movies today are based on characters that have existed for a long time. Those characters are mostly white because when they were created that was just the way things were. So if any non-white actors want to be in these movies what other choice do they have but to play these old, mostly white characters? Hollywood is never going to stop remaking movies because it's easy and audiences just want to see things that are familiar to them, and more and more non-white actors are breaking into the business. So of course you are going to see more non-white actors playing characters that used to be white. But if that offends you the old movies still exist anyways.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If you're making a point that people keep revisiting existing literary characters as a problem, I'm not sure why a point would be made around comic book characters. The very nature of those characters is that they get revisited by different writers over generations. Any time you tell a different story, you're essentially riffing off of the original version.

Reactions: Puck and Amerika

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Spiderman in the Comics is jacked and looks like a model. Movie version, actual dork like he's supposed to be and more of an awkward teen.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I think Obscura would make a decent sci-fi movie.
Also, the Murderbot Diaries, but they would need a good actor to do it. I keep picturing the guy who plays Amos on The Expanse as the bot.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't know if "screaming for" is exactly right but, with the right people attached, I'd be interested in these:

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Wild Sheep Chase or What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Fall of Giants by Ken Follett would be a great tv series. The books are a trilogy s creating a three season tv series would be perfect.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series "The Warlord Chronicles" is perfect for an HBO-like miniseries.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nick Cave's And the Ass Saw the Angel was a book I always wanted to see turned into a film. It'd probably never be as good though.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wish somebody would take another shot at Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. It's a great book that got a schlock treatment way back when but it deserves something way, way better.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
A TV series based on the book The Three-Body Problem has been ordered by Netflix, with David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and Alexander Woo set to write and executive produce.[46] The Netflix adaptation began production on 1 November 2021, with a scheduled finish date in August 2022. The earliest possible release date is late 2022

Reactions: barriers

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Island in the Sea of Time

Axis of Time book one

Remake of Timeline by Michael Crichton

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Right. I haven't actually seen any of his films myself, just some of his music videos. But from reading Ubik, I didn't get the feeling it would be impossible to translate to film, especially not with the special effects you have nowadays. But he claimed it was because of the dramatic structure. He probably just thought he couldn't do it justice.

"The book is brilliant, but it's good as a literary work. Having tried to adapt it with several screenwriters... at the moment I don't feel up to doing it. It doesn't have the dramatic structure that would make it a good film. I received a script that disheartened me a bit, and that was it. It was a dream, but in life you can't always have what you want."

Michel Gondry Abandons Ubik

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad