OT: Book Thread

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
A couple of posters mentioned starting a Book Thread a few weeks back, so I figured I'd take the bull by the horns. If the mods don't feel this is appropriate, please take the appropriate action as you see fit. Couple of Ground Rules:

1. Pick a book you've recently read that you would recommend to others.
2. Identify the Genre (historical, biography, fiction, whatever....)
3. Tell us what why you liked it, without giving away the plot.....
4. Have fun and be respectful

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'll get things started......

The Earth is Weeping: The Epic story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens.

Its historical, and I think the title is self-explanatory. It won the Gilder Lehrman Prize for Military History in 2016, but I never got around to reading it until this winter. Its excellent. My family settled the Dakotas in 1870 and I always had a fascination for this era. I've read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee a number of times and I think Cozzens' book tackles a lot of this story from a slightly different viewpoint. It corrects some of the errors of Bury.... and also challenges some misperceptions created by that book as well. If you loved the former, I think you'll love the latter too.

Its wide in scope, covering everything from the great plains, to the SW to the West coast. It is not political, and doesn't have an agenda. It simply tells the story of what happened and does a great job of outlining the actions and rationale of the various historical characters. It lets the reader decide who is the "hero" and who is the "villain",

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I primarily read historical/biographical books with the occasional terrible romance novel tossed in there for variety. My book preferences may seem odd and even taboo to some but I like what I like.

A book that I've finished and highly reccomend is Bending Towards Justice: The Birmingham Church Bombing That Changed the Course of Civil Rights by former Senator Doug Jones of Alabama.

The book is about the prosecution of the two remaining suspects responsible for bombing the 16th Street Baptist Church in 1963 where 4 young girls died. This was no small task for a new prosecutor and Doug Jones details not only how he built and presented his case but also the impact the bombing had on Birmingham and the movement itself. He also shares how it shaped him into who he is today.

I found the book fascinating from both a historical perspective but also a legal perspective. I was introduced to events in the Civil Rights Movement that were just glossed over in history class and also to what it was like to prosecute such a high profile, highly charged case in the deep south. Jones lays out his findings in detail so the reader understands the gravity and nuances to the case and the feelings around it in the community.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If you like opinionated short columns about painting, sculputure, and other art forms found in museums, this may be good for you. It's a collection of writings gathered from various publications.

HotCold.jpeg

Reactions: Si Hopkins

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks for taking the bull by the horns, Rocco.

I primarily read non-fiction. American and European political and social history/biography. I don't care about contemporary fiction -- too lazy. Even so, I am a huge Shakespeare fan and enjoy the classics. Dostoyevsky and Nabokov are favorites. More generally, I follow domestic and foreign policy and current events closely. NYT, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Foreign Policy/Foreign Affairs, Politico.

I used to read pop music biographies voraciously when I was younger, and still have my Bowie books. Also, metaphysics, philosophy, Zen Buddhism, paranormal, Near Death Experiences, and what are now referred to as "UAP's."

The late Roy Jenkins' one volume biographies of Gladstone and Churchill are fine introductions,

1706731804492.png
1706731667756.png

Toe in the water per LBJ/RFK lovefest,

1706732164653.png

The first in Rick Perlstein's serial examination of late 20th C. American politics and culture, and how they shaped the society we have today,

1706732411687.png

More to come, won't inundate. :wedgie:

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My wife and I share a Kindle account.

You can tell because on the “suggested titles for you” it’s a combination of American History, Current Affairs, Biographies, Sports, Catholic Commentaries, and romance novels featuring shirtless dudes on the cover.

My assistant principal is 70 and teaches US History. I tell the kids to ask her what it was like growing up during the French and Indian War.

I went into her classroom today and bored her to tears talking about the origins of the Whig Party, having just read up on the topic last evening.
1706733957891.jpeg

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
@GordonHowe

I love reading music bios to this day. I also like reading about specific music scenes and music criticism.

I also tried a Rick Perlstein book, the one about Nixon. His style did not work for me at the time but that was years ago. The one you posted has me intrigued.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I read mostly sports related books. I've been reading the tales from the sidelines book about the Patriots history from their start, read the Bruins centennial book when I got it back a few months ago.
View attachment 813285
View attachment 813286

Wish I had the dough for the Centennial book.
@GordonHowe

I love reading music bios to this day. I also like reading about specific music scenes and music criticism.

I also tried a Rick Perlstein book, the one about Nixon. His style did not work for me at the time but that was years ago. The one you posted has me intrigued.
I was the same way about music stuff back then, and even today, I'll read about music scenes, bands, etc. I used to sing lead so that's always been a keen interest of mine.

Rick Perlstein's style is not for everyone. He is something of a provocateur. But he sees a lot, a lot worth considering.

✌️😌

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'll get things started......

The Earth is Weeping: The Epic story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens.

Its historical, and I think the title is self-explanatory. It won the Gilder Lehrman Prize for Military History in 2016, but I never got around to reading it until this winter. Its excellent. My family settled the Dakotas in 1870 and I always had a fascination for this era. I've read Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee a number of times and I think Cozzens' book tackles a lot of this story from a slightly different viewpoint. It corrects some of the errors of Bury.... and also challenges some misperceptions created by that book as well. If you loved the former, I think you'll love the latter too.

Its wide in scope, covering everything from the great plains, to the SW to the West coast. It is not political, and doesn't have an agenda. It simply tells the story of what happened and does a great job of outlining the actions and rationale of the various historical characters. It lets the reader decide who is the "hero" and who is the "villain",

I read The Earth Is Weeping about 6 months ago and likewise thought it was excellent. Very balanced and fair in covering an aspect of history where that is not always easy. Informative and well-written, and I think Cozzens is very good at understanding and explaining the characters and motivations of the persons involved, on all sides.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
@GordonHowe

This is one of my favorites. Its the age when I was in my teens and early twenties and it pretty much covers the bands that I loved at the time. Back then, I thought that these bands were my little secret and nobody else knew about them, except for the people at the run down venues that were there with me...

1706754241184.png

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
This is one of my favorites. Its the age when I was in my teens and early twenties and it pretty much covers the bands that I loved at the time. Back then, I thought that these bands were my little secret and nobody else knew about them, except for the people at the run down venues that were there with me...

View attachment 813432
Man I love this book. I never saw any of those bands, though. You’re a lucky person to have been part of such a cool history!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I recently finished reading Unruly: A History of England's Kings and Queens, by the well-known English comedian, actor, panellist and amateur historian David Mitchell. Written in a light hearted manner that blends humor with solid and well-researched history and at least an attempt to pick out a few key themes and take-aways that can be learned from the long course of the English monarchy (not British, the book's narrative stops in 1603).

Your mileage will vary on this one largely in terms of whether you like Mitchell's quite unique style, and you're not going to get any serious, in-depth analysis or any broader social, cultural or economic history of each reign. But if interested in the subject and want a lighter read that will give you a chuckle while still learning a thing or two, it's worth a look.

1707260616221.png

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I interrupted my reading of Ulysses S. Grant's "Memoirs" to read "Lost Moon" by astronaut Jim Lovell. The movie "Apollo 13" is based on this book. I liked it very much, it really was a miracle the crew was able to get back to earth safely. 🚀

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
super ashamed to say I have never been an avid reader and that continues to this day. The last book I read from cover to cover that wasn`t recovery related was Hippie by Paolo Coelho which was great but that was a few years ago

both my folks and my sister always were avid readers, just never my thing, I even tried the Audible thing..not my bag either

Reactions: HustleB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
super ashamed to say I have never been an avid reader and that continues to this day. The last book I read from cover to cover that wasn`t recovery related was Hippie by Paolo Coelho which was great but that was a few years ago

both my folks and my sister always were avid readers, just never my thing, I even tried the Audible thing..not my bag either

It's never too late.

"Try it. You'll like it." :)

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I recently finished this memoir by George M. Johnson - it's referred to as a memoir-manifesto, and is really a couple of things - exploring the complexities of growing up Black and queer, clearly deeply personal for the author - but it's also a call to action, to acknowledge and address the systemic injustices that queer Black individuals face. The author certainly doesn't shy away from the challenges and traumas they faced, which is universally resonant - including myself, having grown up with a transgender brother.

It's impactful. It's well known that it's faced censorship and challenges in school districts, which is part of what makes it so important - to shine another light on the inclusion of LGBTQ+ narratives in educational settings.

Highly recommend - but can be a painful read, be warned.

81B6BPDCt0L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Elmer1

Feb 11, 2023
Awesome thread. Much appreciated. 2 books I recommend.
IMG_0803.jpeg

Fascinating read about Churchill and Roosevelt at the Yalta Conference in WW2
IMG_0804.jpeg

Fictionalized portrait of Sherman’s March to the Sea at the end of the Civil War. A little like Cold Mountain. Harrowing and heart breaking. But, I’m more a fiction type of reader. Cheers!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Just finished "The Pope's Last Crusade", by Peter Eisner.

Story of Vatican intrigue in the decade leading up to WWII. How different factions wished to deal with Mussolini and Hitler.

Reactions: RoccoF14

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm on a space kick lately. Now I'm reading Gene Kranz' "Failure Is Not An Option". He was flight director during many spaceflights in the 60s and early 70s. In that world he's considered a legend. 🚀

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I finished Prequel by Rachel Maddow (nearly fell off my chair more than once) and am now listening to Columbine by Dave Cullen. He did phenomenal work building a complete profile of the perpetrators, victims and the outside influences that clouded the truth in what happened that day and that continue to influence what people think today.

He talks about the area and what influences those who live in the community and what part it played in the investigation. It was a powderkeg that finally exploded literally in April 1999.

It is a heavy book but the discussion around mental health, deception, missed signs and ignoring those who were blowing the whistle are sadly still prevelant today.

I was a junior in high school when it happened and this book changed the way I viewed what happened.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I finished Prequel by Rachel Maddow (nearly fell off my chair more than once) and am now listening to Columbine by Dave Cullen. He did phenomenal work building a complete profile of the perpetrators, victims and the outside influences that clouded the truth in what happened that day and that continue to influence what people think today.

He talks about the area and what influences those who live in the community and what part it played in the investigation. It was a powderkeg that finally exploded literally in April 1999.

It is a heavy book but the discussion around mental health, deception, missed signs and ignoring those who were blowing the whistle are sadly still prevelant today.

I was a junior in high school when it happened and this book changed the way I viewed what happened.

My initial reaction to the parents of Klebold and Harris was not sympathetic.

That has changed, in part,

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad