Speculation: Bolducs first game

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
1)Does bolduc get a goal against is former coach (patrick roy).

2) did army bring up bolduc to showcase him for islanders gm and bew coach.

3) if so who would we need (besides mayfield) from islanders. Would walhstrom be something army would be looking at or sam bolduc.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

3) if so who would we need (besides mayfield) from islanders. Would walhstrom be something army would be looking at or sam bolduc.
1. Probably not.
2. almost certainly not.
3. Romanov is only isle that would be appealing (they ain’t trading Dobson no way). Mayfield is mid and signed to awful contract wahlstrom is fairly useless.

you are reading into this way too much.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
1. Probably not.
2. almost certainly not.
3. Romanov is only isle that would be appealing (they ain’t trading Dobson no way). Mayfield is mid and signed to awful contract wahlstrom is fairly useless.

you are reading into this way too much.
I am just curious and trying to post on this side of the board. I appreciate the feed back

Also i hate to say it but i dont know much about romanov. Is he physical two way or offensive minded. I saw his stats but at 24 that doesnt really paint an entire picture.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

1. Probably not. If he plays, it's his first NHL game. Few players score in their 1st game. Blues tend to severely limit ice time of rookies early. He'll get 8-9 minutes if he plays at all. We may have called him up to practice with the team and watch from the presser.

2. Not any chance. Who cares about showing him off to another team's coach? You yourself said he coached Bolduc last season. He knows him. A player's first ever NHL game is an awful way to showcase him too. NYI have scouts, they can scout him in Springfield. We aren't putting him in a position to not suceed to show him off to his old coach who already knows him well and has little to no say in any trades

There was a tweet from JR, retweeting another site, that calling Bolduc up now let's us bury his performance bonuses if he gets them under Faulk's unused LTIR. So this is probably just a early cap move in case we trade away forwards at the TDL and Bolduc needs to play more down the stretch

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
cup of coffee to reward an uptick in his recent play. he still has a lot of things to work on. getting a taste of the show will help him understand better where he needs to improve

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The idea of show casing him for roy and their gm.was karakers idea this morning

No idea who Karaker is. Korac? Don't trust him or any of our local guys for ideas. Regardless of whose idea, it makes no sense. Why showcase a guy to a coach he played for in the past year? Why showcase a propect to NYI at all when they have nobody who fits what we need and is rumored to be available?

People are just trying to connect dots cause his first game is against his old coach. But there are no dots. Sometimes a coincidence is just that. But ignoring coincidences doesn't generate clicks. So modern reporters throw out shit to get the clicks, and ignore the fact they were wrong later.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfriede2

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
No idea who Karaker is. Korac? Don't trust him or any of our local guys for ideas. Regardless of whose idea, it makes no sense. Why showcase a guy to a coach he played for in the past year? Why showcase a propect to NYI at all when they have nobody who fits what we need and us rumored to be available?

People are just trying to connect dots cause his first game is against his old coach. But there are no dots. Sometimes a coincidence is just that. But ignoring coincidences doesn't generate clicks. So modern reporters throw out shit to get the clicks, and ignore the fact they were wrong later.
Randy Karraker is a St. Louis sports radio guy. I’m sure he was just filling air time with wild/unrealistic speculation. Not sure why it’s being reposted here, but oh well.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There was a tweet from JR, retweeting another site, that calling Bolduc up now let's us bury his performance bonuses if he gets them under Faulk's unused LTIR. So this is probably just a early cap move in case we trade away forwards at the TDL and Bolduc needs to play more down the stretch
I can't find the tweet because searching twitter is a disaster if you aren't a member. I'd like to see the context, but that theory makes little sense to me.

Bolduc has essentially no chance of hitting any performance bonuses this year and even if he did it would be right at the end of the year. He can't hit the games played threshold to hit any 'per game' performance bonuses, so the ones he could possibly hit are 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, or end of season all rookie team. Hitting any of those benchmarks would make him one of the best players in the league and his maximum bonus is only $400k.

If we think that he is capable of hitting any of those benchmarks in his first 27 NHL games, it is absurd that we left him in the AHL all year due to concerns about having a bonus overage.

Edit: After looking at Capfriendly, I think I figured out the real reason (if it is in fact contract related and not performance-based). Bolduc's contract got us closer to the $83.5M cap than any other contract we could have called up, which maximizes the amount of LTIR relief we got when we put Faulk on LTIR. Bolduc got us within $2,319 of hitting the salary cap exactly, which means we are allowed to exceed the cap by $6,497,681 while Faulk is on LTIR. Not calling anyone up would have made that number $5,634,348 and calling up a cheaper AHL player would have resulted in a number in between. We didn't have the cap to call up a more expensive player before putting Faulk on LTIR (which also reduces the space we 'gain.'

Bolduc's contract is almost perfect to maximize our flexibility from putting Faulk on LTIR. I don't think that is the only reason he's up here, but it was probably a factor. Calling him up on paper would have been possible. but actually getting him a practice and game (or more) in the NHL and a few days of NHL money is a much better way to keep a prospect happy than explaining a paper move to him.

Last edited:

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
No idea who Karaker is. Korac? Don't trust him or any of our local guys for ideas. Regardless of whose idea, it makes no sense. Why showcase a guy to a coach he played for in the past year? Why showcase a propect to NYI at all when they have nobody who fits what we need and is rumored to be available?

Randy karraker from the morning 101 espn show.
Sam bolduc, calle odelious?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The idea of show casing him for roy and their gm.was karakers idea this morning

I wouldn't take anything Randy Karraker says on hockey at a face value.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Randy Karaker has been a mainstay in the St. Louis sports media for decades. Takes 5 seconds to Google it if you don't know.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Randy Karaker has been a mainstay in the St. Louis sports media for decades. Takes 5 seconds to Google it if you don't know.

Nobody said Randy in the original post. Google did not list him when I googled just hs last name as spelled by OP. It listed resulta for Karakter, a Danish furniture brand. Which is why I thought it might be a typo for Korac.

• Haha
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
he’s one of the best STL sports radio hosts ever.
Dude could be the 2nd coming and his hockey takes would still be atrocious. In fact, most of the voices on 101 are bad for hockey. Yes, Rivers is included in that as well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m not a fan of him at all. And STL isn’t exactly known for their great sports radio hosts. I honestly can’t think of a single one that I consider to be good. So if Karakker is at the top of that list in a lot of people’s minds, it’s still not saying much.

Reactions: joe galiba

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
McKernan is probably the best in the market when he talks sports but unfortunately he only does that about 20% of the time amongst the grabassery.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dude could be the 2nd coming and his hockey takes would still be atrocious. In fact, most of the voices on 101 are bad for hockey. Yes, Rivers is included in that as well.

he’s not the best hockey guy, but he’s ok. He’s just a good dude overall

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
So do i. I have always wanted to play him in the trivia

Rivers said we should draft dvorsky if possible. He was right

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I stopped paying attention to anything Karraker said when I saw him tweet this during the 21-22 season.

IMG_5961.jpeg

Keep in mind, Thomas had 20 assists in 24 games at that point lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad