Rumor: Bogosian, Little and Wheeler all HAVE NOT YET filed for Arbitration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet Fuel ‏@OfficialJetFuel 9m
Defenceman Zach Bogosian and forwards Blake Wheeler and Bryan Little filed for arbitration. The deadline was today at 4pm CT. #NHLJets

Not sure how much inside info this Twitter account has, so left it as a rumor for now.

Thoughts?

I personally am not a fan. I wish they would have kept Bogosian out of arbitration at least, just to show they are willing to make a deal both sides can live with.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's just a protection thing. Bogosian filed for arbitration when the team first came here and everyone flipped. They'd be stupid NOT to file for arbitration.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jet Fuel ‏@OfficialJetFuel 9m
Defenceman Zach Bogosian and forwards Blake Wheeler and Bryan Little filed for arbitration. The deadline was today at 4pm CT. #NHLJets

Not sure how much inside info this Twitter account has, so left it as a rumor for now.

Thoughts?

I personally am not a fan. I wish they would have kept Bogosian out of arbitration at least, just to show they are willing to make a deal both sides can live with.

Well atleast non are subject to offer sheets now. Not that I like arbitration but I imagine that all 3 will be settled before the hearings. Not sure what leverage Bogosian's agent expects to get out of it thought as there aren't really any comparable s out there supporting his side.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's just a protection thing. Bogosian filed for arbitration when the team first came here and everyone flipped. They'd be stupid NOT to file for arbitration.

Agree - procedural / protection thing. They can still make a deal without going to arbitration.

It would have been nice to have them signed before they filed, but I don't see it as a huge issue.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

From a players perspective it makes perfect sense.

Well atleast non are subject to offer sheets now. Not that I like arbitration but I imagine that all 3 will be settled before the hearings. Not sure what leverage Bogosian's agent expects to get out of it thought as there aren't really any comparable s out there supporting his side.

The thing I don't like about it is that though I want the team to be financially responsible, I don't want the org. getting a rep as being cheap with the players and potentially fostering bad blood. So far with deals to Kane (fair) and Pavelec and Jokinen (more than fair) I don't think they have done that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From a players perspective it makes perfect sense.

The thing I don't like about it is that though I want the team to be financially responsible, I don't want the org. getting a rep as being cheap with the players and potentially fostering bad blood. So far with deals to Kane (fair) and Pavelec and Jokinen (more than fair) I don't think they have done that.

Ohh I agree somewhat, I think Chevy is a tough negotiator but he is still fair. I would rather that then the alternative of him willing to give players what they want.

I would like to think that we have some players who are willing to settle for a fair rate as well!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
On the plus side, this means no offer sheets.

On the downside, Wheeler and Little will be UFAs come July 2014. Hopefully Chevy can hammer out long-term deals between now and then.

Agree - procedural / protection thing. They can still make a deal without going to arbitration.

It would have been nice to have them signed before they filed, but I don't see it as a huge issue.

Or better yet, the bolded.

dreamingofdrouin*

The reason i'm posting here is because at first I was like....wheeler and bogosian in contract disputes.....drool..:laugh:

but then i remember carey price's contract and he went through the same thing...just a formality to fend off the offer sheet vultures.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sorry guys, this is not reliable information. I DM'ed this guy on Twitter and he's pretty wishy washy about it and doesn't seem to have any real sources.

Sorry for jumping the gun. FWIW I think the deadline is tomorrow at 4pm, no?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sorry guys, this is not reliable information. I DM'ed this guy on Twitter and he's pretty wishy washy about it and doesn't seem to have any real sources.

Sorry for jumping the gun. FWIW I think the deadline is tomorrow at 4pm, no?

Yep, 5pm EST / 4pm CST.

Here's a good little primer on the arbitration process from a lawyer involved with it in the past:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/...use-arbitration-for-dummies-seemed-too-harsh/

Excerpt:

Generally the player ends up filing more often than the team, and you can often predict if a player will file or not based on who their agent is (some agents LOVE to file for every player they represent). Arbitration is useful for teams for two reasons: 1) they can be used to block offer sheets (ala Shea Weber last offseason), and 2) when a qualifying offer would be for more than the player is worth (like Mason Raymond this offseason).

Once a player or team has filed, there is usually a month before the arbitration hearing. Most arbitration cases will end up being settled before it’s heard. Six of this year’s seventeen filings have already settled, and many cases settle on the day of the hearing. Teams and players tend to know the approximate range where the arbitrator will decide, unless the arbitrator decides to do something stupid.

Written in 2012 before the changes in the new CBA, but still mostly relevant.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I still think they should file...only makes sense to from their perspective. Don't most guys file and then get deals done before hand typically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad