Tribute Bobby Ryan Appreciation Thread

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He definitely gave us some memorable moments and highlights that I will always remember. Never met him, but those who did only had the nicest things to say about him, unlike stories about other Sens players that I have heard personally.

Sad to see him go just as he appeared to be turning a corner but I hope he finds a team that gives him a chance to show that he can still play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit and h2owned

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Another one gone that hurts for me. Bought his jersey for my gf cuz of how much I liked him. Such an inspirational story and incredible that with the stuff he’s been through he’s the man he is today. Wish the best for him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm hoping he signs somewhere like Edmonton and has a 50 point season playing alongside McD or Drai. Give him a one year contract show-me deal and think he'll surprise a lot of people. He's a smart player, he has some good playmaking ability and can play physical.

Reactions: Xspyrit

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
This sucks. A cold reminder hockey is a business. Would have been a more classy move to keep him on. This looks bad on the organization that alienates its former players.
Good luck Bobby you are one of the good ones

Reactions: DrEasy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Good luck Bobby!

Really enjoyed his attitude and positivity towards the fans and the city.

I still remember that tweet: "Watch out Ottawa, I'm coming in hot!"

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd love to see him find success somewhere else. He really is a stellar guy.

Someone is going to get him on a cheap contract and he's going to be motivated and show that he can still deliver. He's finally going to bring the intesidy. All the best to you, Robert Ryan.

Reactions: variable26

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This sucks. A cold reminder hockey is a business. Would have been a more classy move to keep him on. This looks bad on the organization that alienates its former players.
Good luck Bobby you are one of the good ones

I don't think buying him out looks bad in a vacuum, though there is certainly some potential for the wrong message to be sent by buying out a guy who just won the Masterton. what i don't get is not giving him a heads up that they were considering it.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Watching this video again actually upset me. The expectations for Ryan coming were so high, and rightfully so, and not just for him but the entire team.

The fans expected instant chemistry with Spezza, which seemed like a perfect fit, they expected Bobby to score 50 goals, they expected both he and Spezza to put 80+ point seasons together....

Just sad how it never materialized as a fit here, even Bobby Ryan himself in that video mentions that he had scored 30 goals four times before coming to Ottawa and asked fans how many they think he should score with Ottawa.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Good luck Bobby, happy to see you combat your demons and make it back. Stay sober, stay happy man I'm sure someone will give you a shot. I'm rooting for you on and off the ice. Good luck and all the best to you and your family Bobby.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thank you Bobby for all these great years, that 2017 playoffs run was surely one of my best memories of following this team. You and EK were truly something else and carried the team on your shoulders.

Watching this video again actually upset me. The expectations for Ryan coming were so high, and rightfully so, and not just for him but the entire team.

The fans expected instant chemistry with Spezza, which seemed like a perfect fit, they expected Bobby to score 50 goals, they expected both he and Spezza to put 80+ point seasons together....

Just sad how it never materialized as a fit here, even Bobby Ryan himself in that video mentions that he had scored 30 goals four times before coming to Ottawa and asked fans how many they think he should score with Ottawa.

The MoToR line was pretty awesome. They all made each other better. From 2013-14 to 2015-16, Turris and Ryan were 0.7 PPG players. Bobby was playing on average 17 mins a night, that's pretty good production.

Problems started when Turris and MacArthur got injured and when Boucher became the coach, but Bobby had fantastic playoffs after a bad injury-plagued season in 2017. In 2017-18 & 2018-19 he still produced around 0.55 PPG which is still decent production but not up to his contract anymore. Then last year he just wasn't there

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
It's a shame it had to end like this.

We never got the production we had hoped for when we acquired him. I don't think anyone can deny that. Yet despite that, I'm gonna miss Ryan. The man was a class act - he was a good teammate, he did good for the community, and I appreciate all he's done for this team and city. Ryan came onto this team at a point that many would consider our lowest, he had large shoes to fill and expectations were high. I don't doubt for a second that he did his best to fill those shoes and meet those expectations.

I remember when we acquired Ryan - how everyone said he'd be gone in a year off to Philly, or some other large market team. He didn't. He committed to this team when many people thought he wouldn't. For that, and everything else, I am very grateful.

Good luck Bobby!

Really enjoyed his attitude and positivity towards the fans and the city.

I still remember that tweet: "Watch out Ottawa, I'm coming in hot!"
So do I. We all very much needed that that day.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I talked as much smack about Bobby Ryan as the next Sens fan but I admire his courage, strength and resolve to live a healthy. I hit 4 years of sobriety last week and commend anyone who faces and is winning against the battle of addiction. All the best Bobby!

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I don't think buying him out looks bad in a vacuum, though there is certainly some potential for the wrong message to be sent by buying out a guy who just won the Masterton. what i don't get is not giving him a heads up that they were considering it.
As a pure hockey move I get it. This one may get lumped in with other PR mis steps this organization has committed. The perception of, guy get his life back together after he goes into rehab to return to a team that "cuts" him is a pretty bad narrative. Especially given Ryan's life back story. Truth is Ryan may be done as a hockey player skill wise. I wonder if they could have waited or if this decision had to be made. In many ways it embodies as Sens narrative going from feel good story returning guy scores hat trick after reclaiming his life to He's been released. Hopefully it works out for him. I'm still cheering for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad