GDT: Bob Nicholson Press Conference 12:30

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Is anybody feeling more hopeful and full of confidence after the Nicholson press conference?

He really doent inspire me at all. This really looks like an optics hire by Katz more than anything.
I keep saying he's just another crony, dude.

I know I'm negative as f*** but it's shit like this that make me negative.

Reactions: Slicknitty

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Taylor Hall and Matthew Barzal.
Starting to believe he blew the Puljujarvi pick..
The Paul Coffey thing... Is he still employed?

Chia should just quit himself..

a 19 year old kid who played his first full season in the NHL and had 12 goals and showed signs of progressive = a blown pick to you?
the kids 19.
He's learning english.
He's fitting into his new setting.
He has shown signs of progression and will come back with more confidence next year.
You think that's a blown pick?

Ok.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't even know why they mention this ****. All GMs have 'plans'. I don't think this press conference was a standard Oilers press conference to be quite honest. He was up there to announce the Humboldt services and the press would've likely wanted more considering they hadn't made any decisions on the coaching staff. What is he going to say? 'We're assessing...'
Did they need to hold a press conference to announce they were holding a service next week for the Humboldt victims? If they did then couldn’t they have used a PR spokesperson for that? Nicholson only spent a minute, minute and a half tops talking about that anyway. IMO, he was out there today to give a definitive answer on Chiarelli’s status with the team. The media was all over Chiarelli after his press conference and he wanted to set the record straight on his future.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I keep saying he's just another crony, dude.

I know I'm negative as **** but it's **** like this that make me negative.

I hear you. I really do.
I guess the difference for me is after ranting about the GM's and coaches for about 6 years (lol) before Chiarelli was hired I realized that constantly bitching actually took away from what little enjoyment I had watching the team.
When Chiarelli was hired I decided that I was going to put all that aside for a few years. I really tried to put aside how dysfunctional Katz was in terms of his approach to building a management team and be positive.

Here we are now 3 years into this new management group and I still feel the same way about Katz and Bobby N is a close second.
That said I still do see hope for this team. The only deal that really bothers me is the Reinhat deal. The Eberle deal was essentially an expensive (one dimensional) 2nd line winger for a cheaper 3rd line center. Not ideal but I can live with it.
The Hall deal was tough before the season started because Chia clearly didnt get enough. That being said very few posters (if they are honest) will be able to claim that they knew Hall was going to mature like this and go from the immature player he was (as an Oiler) and turn into the consummate Pro he has become this season.
It was a lopsided deal when it happened but the optics are made much worse by Halls unexpected expedited growth in maturity.
I think that growth wouldnt have happened here and that a trade was necessary for Hall to 'wake the F up'. Sucks that it happened but thats the way it goes.

As tough as it is (and its really f'ing tough) I can put aside the Hall deal.
I had a problem with the Eberle deal when it happened but I have softened on it at this point primarily because of Stromes versatility and low cap hit.
So for me the Hall deal was bad...the Eberle deal was acceptable (at this point) but the Reinhart deal is indefensible IMO.

So I am nervous about Chiarelli to be sure but he has one more season from me to learn from his mistakes and to overcome them. I say that primarily because of 2 things....I think Chia has been excellent in the secondary deals and I do believe people can learn from their mistakes. Mostly though I would rather enjoy this team despite all of its warts than constantly aim at the low hanging fruit month after month.

I did that already (for 6 long years) and being right (more often than not) most certainly didnt make me a happier Oiler fan.
So thats where I am at now. I am trying to enjoy this team and overlook the warts until it becomes impossible to do so.

Reactions: Night Witch

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I hear you. I really do.
I guess the difference for me is after ranting about the GM's and coaches for about 6 years (lol) before Chiarelli was hired I realized that constantly *****ing actually took away from what little enjoyment I had watching the team.
When Chiarelli was hired I decided that I was going to put all that aside for a few years. I really tried to put aside how dysfunctional Katz was in terms of his approach to building a management team and be positive.

Here we are now 3 years into this new management group and I still feel the same way about Katz and Bobby N is a close second.
That said I still do see hope for this team. The only deal that really bothers me is the Reinhat deal. The Eberle deal was essentially an expensive (one dimensional) 2nd line winger for a cheaper 3rd line center. Not ideal but I can live with it.
The Hall deal was tough before the season started because Chia clearly didnt get enough. That being said very few posters (if they are honest) will be able to claim that they knew Hall was going to mature like this and go from the immature player he was (as an Oiler) and turn into the consummate Pro he has become this season.
It was a lopsided deal when it happened but the optics are made much worse by Halls unexpected expedited growth in maturity.
I think that growth wouldnt have happened here and that a trade was necessary for Hall to 'wake the F up'. Sucks that it happened but thats the way it goes.

As tough as it is (and its really f'ing tough) I can put aside the Hall deal.
I had a problem with the Eberle deal when it happened but I have softened on it at this point primarily because of Stromes versatility and low cap hit.
The Hall deal was bad but the Reinhart deal is indefensible IMO.

So I am nervous about Chiarelli to be sure but he has one more season from me to learn from his mistakes and to overcome them. I say that primarily because of 2 things....I think Chia has been excellent in the secondary deals and I do believe people can learn from their mistakes. Mostly though I would rather enjoy this team despite all of its warts than constantly aim at the low hanging fruit month after month.

I did that already (for 6 long years) and being right (more often than not) most certainly didnt make me a happier Oiler fan.
So thats where I am at now. I am trying to enjoy this team and overlook the warts until it becomes impossible to do so.
I'm mostly just apathetic now. I was only mildly annoyed during this presser because anyone who's followed the team knew exactly what was going to happen: Nothing.

I'm seeing less and less reason to follow this team when they continuously refuse to look in the mirror and recognize that the problem is staring them in the face.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm mostly just apathetic now. I was only mildly annoyed during this presser because anyone who's followed the team knew exactly what was going to happen: Nothing.

I'm seeing less and less reason to follow this team when they continuously refuse to look in the mirror and recognize that the problem is staring them in the face.

I have to challenge this post.

With all due respect I dont see that at all from you. An apathetic fan wouldn't be nearly as passionate about posting their anger and frustration as much as you have the past few months.

I mean whats your daily post count? It cant possibly be low enough to indicate apathy.

You may well become apathetic but at this point in time you come across to me very much like an extremely frustrated Oiler fan who tries to pretend that he doesn't care that much. :nod:

You are not alone though. Plenty of others here are just as frustrated.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have to challenge this post.

With all due respect I dont see that at all from you. An apathetic fan wouldn't be nearly as passionate about posting their anger and frustration as much as you have the past few months.

I mean whats your daily post count? It cant possibly be low enough to indicate apathy.

You may well become apathetic but at this point in time you come across to me very much like an extremely frustrated Oiler fan who tries to pretend that he doesn't care that much. :nod:

You are not alone though. Plenty of others here are just as frustrated.
There were a number of games down the stretch that I simply didn't even bother to watch.

I'm frustrated but it's starting to fade. Now I just make jokes about the team, because that's exactly what they deserve.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I have to say after reading about your PC and seeing our PC (Habs) Nicholson/Chiarelli and Molson/Bergevin have the same script writer. The similarities are astounding, at least we’re getting better food at the Bell Centre though lol. The similarities in the clubs with the country club atmosphere etc makes it difficult to see which one of us will eventually rebuild properly. Welcome to mediocrity Oilers/Habs fans (if we’re lucky enough to get to the PO)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I know the list of champions doesn't follow my theory, but the Stanley Cup winner isn't always 'the best team' on paper. The NHL playoffs are a tournament and anything can happen when you get in them--last season was a prime example IMO when you see the defense the Penguins brought to the battle.

Pittsburgh was given the fourth best odds of winning last year. Hardly a dark horse.

I posted this yesterday:

In the last 10 years only one team outside the top 10 in the league has won the Cup (LA). Six winners were top 3 seeds. Four teams outside the top 10 have made the final and lost, 5 other finalists were top 5 seeds.

"Just get in and hope for the best" is not a viable strategy

The NHL slowly but surely is leaning towards parity. When you see the turnover from teams like ours last year, the Avs this year and a complete **** show like Vegas this year, it's no longer just about 'elite' talent. It's about a balanced roster. It's about finding compete and depth scoring from the rest of your roster.

Disagree. In a league where the margins between teams seem to be shrinking, elite talent is the difference maker. That's why Pittsburgh has back to back Cups and could easily repeat again. That's why Tampa Bay, Nashville, and Boston are favoured over teams like Philly or New Jersey or Minnesota. They're all strong teams with balanced rosters. But thos eupper tier teams have that extra jolt of talent that it takes to win it all.

Those teams won't win Championships right out of the gate. But they learn early on what it takes to win in the post-season, which is instrumental in progressing further the next time they get there.

Or they don't and bounce in and out of the playoffs year over year because they don't have the ability to match what other teams can bring to the fight.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pittsburgh was given the fourth best odds of winning last year. Hardly a dark horse.

I posted this yesterday:

Disagree. In a league where the margins between teams seem to be shrinking, elite talent is the difference maker. That's why Pittsburgh has back to back Cups and could easily repeat again. That's why Tampa Bay, Nashville, and Boston are favoured over teams like Philly or New Jersey or Minnesota. They're all strong teams with balanced rosters. But thos eupper tier teams have that extra jolt of talent that it takes to win it all.

Or they don't and bounce in and out of the playoffs year over year because they don't have the ability to match what other teams can bring to the fight.
The thing about the rosters you're pointing out with 'elite' talent is the heavy majority of them developed a significant amount of those players internally. It's almost as if you're saying this team was doomed from the get go because I can tell you for certain that none of those teams is backed by a poor defense. These teams have done a good job finding talent and elevating it to the next level by finding the right situations to play them in.

Boston isn't a team that I'd describe as being loaded with 'elite' talent, for example. They have Pasta, Marchand, Krejci and Bergeron, but they've had a significant number of young players step up and elevate their games. Riley Nash put up 40 points. So did Danton Heinen and Jake Debrusk. They are the definition of a blue collar team and there is no reason to think our roster cannot outperform theirs with a quality season from our key contributors.

We don't need elite line-mates for Connor McDavid. Leon Draisatil just needs a couple of guys who can handle his passes and shoot the puck. The two of them both need to get better in their own end. The two of them are going to open a lot of doors for our team over the next few years while our organizational depth is still relatively poor.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yah I guess he wouldn't own it either if it was public. Ha ha.
Either way, there is no incentive to change anything if people keep buying tickets and burgers.

I buy tickets, nachos and beer. Not too crazy about the burgers. Oh the popcorn usually as well :popcorn:

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Well, that was as predictable as it was disappointing.
Seems clear that they will be spending future assets like the first round pick to just make the playoffs rather than focussing on becoming a perennial cup threat (an opportunity I believe Chiarelli squandered).
...and maybe that is good enough.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
a 19 year old kid who played his first full season in the NHL and had 12 goals and showed signs of progressive = a blown pick to you?
the kids 19.
He's learning english.
He's fitting into his new setting.
He has shown signs of progression and will come back with more confidence next year.
You think that's a blown pick?

Ok.

They are handling him about as well as they handled Yakupov.

He shouldn’t even be in the NHL.

Reactions: dawunderboy

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sure, but you realize the Winnipeg model means a lot of staying the course right?
Winnipeg kept faith with their skilled players and did not do panic trades like Chia , they now probably have the closet group in the NHL their core has been together for years and let their young talent develop within it , not selling off it's skill for junk.

Reactions: dawunderboy and PGW

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Puljujarvi is showing a lot better than Yakupov ever did in terms of puck pursuit. When Jesse is on his game, he's a handful for defenders because he has the speed and body type to push pretty much anyone off of the puck. Todd has done a good job keeping him honest and I can't for the life of me see why people are so eager to see him given prime offensive minutes. You want to know how to completely destroy a kid's confidence? Tell him he sucks--even with McDavid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I really disagree with this.

JP has played signficant time in the AHL so far. It's not all GP too remember. Consider that their season is about half as long so even though he's spent only around 50 games in the AHL vs 93 in the NHL, his total days in the AHL is better than that ratio. Yak played zero time in the AHL

Also, he doesn't have to play on a team as bad as what Yakupov had to deal with. That's a huge factor on it's own.

JP's development path is basically the same as Draisaitl's. It's just that JP is slower in hitting his stride. Don't count him out. He's not even 20 yet. Drai's breakout season was when he was 20 years old. The season before that, people were saying Drai was a bust and were swearing at MacT for keeping him in the NHL as much as he did.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Listening to this presser the day after listening to Chia's presser has endowed me with a seemingly endless supply of pessimism, my greatest hope for the coming year is not us making the playoffs, it's that the damage that Chia reaks as GM can be fixed inside of 3 years after we come to our senses and fire him, where as I'm afraid he might set us back as much as 5 years before we have a reasonable chance at contending for a cup, despite us having the best player in the world, the albatross contracts he is tying us to and the speed at which he is bleeding us of talent is not something that can generally be repaired with a few band-aids or in short order.

I'm not even hopeful for the next hire after Chia, Nicholson doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and I don't get why Chia just yesterday said his job was under review, to only have Nicholson come out the next day and say he was safe, a well-run organization would of come out with a cohesive message rather than these kind of disorderly drips and drabs.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad