Line Combos: Bob McKenzie's Expected Lines.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Trade Gunnarsson
Franson at $3.5M
Raymond at $1.25M
$839K left in cap space

van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Colborne - McClement - McLaren
Orr

Ranger - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Fraser
Liles

Bernier
Reimer

even though i think ranger will regain form, playing him top pairing minutes is an awful amount of pressure to put on a guy who hasnt played in the nhl in several years. he is also only signed for the season so there is no guarantee he will be here after this season. in contrast gunnarson is signed for an extra 2 years.

i would sooner keep gunnarson and move franson. id rather take my chances with ranger on the second pairing with gardiner. i think they played together on the marlies last season for a stretch and did pretty well.

either way, franson at $3.5 million is too much unless he is signing for 3 or more seasons. raymond at $1.25 is definitely too much imo. if he signs with the leafs it is going to be for between $550,000-750,000 imo for 1 year.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
3rd Line should be able to get more than 35 goals. Maybe I'm just optimistic but kulemin and bolland should get that amount them 2 alone

Personally I feel you are being optimistic :P

Bolland on Chicago has gotten PP time which has given him some more goals. But with Bozak + Kadri here in Toronto I don't see Bolland getting much PP time, if any so I don't think we can count on him getting the 15-20 goals that he used to, but more likely around 10. And then Kulemin in the past has largely benefited from others creating the offense with him finishing (Kadri/Grabo/MacArthur). If his linemates are Bolland and McClemant, I don't see much offense being created by them not allowing Kulemin to finish it off as often. I'm feeling about 10 goals for everyone on that line, I don't have that high of hopes.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Personally I feel you are being optimistic :P

Bolland on Chicago has gotten PP time which has given him some more goals. But with Bozak + Kadri here in Toronto I don't see Bolland getting much PP time, if any so I don't think we can count on him getting the 15-20 goals that he used to, but more likely around 10. And then Kulemin in the past has largely benefited from others creating the offense with him finishing (Kadri/Grabo/MacArthur). If his linemates are Bolland and McClemant, I don't see much offense being created by them not allowing Kulemin to finish it off as often. I'm feeling about 10 goals for everyone on that line, I don't have that high of hopes.

Agreed, it would be like Clarkson not getting PP time and expecting him to contribute offensively while playing a shutdown role.

Depending on who plays with Kulemin and Bolland, probably looking at 30-35 goals for that line.

Mr Scarface*

That third line is an offensive black hole.

Would much rather Mcclement do 4th line C+1st PK minutes, put colborne or Raymond on the 3rd line wing.

you already have great defensive ability in Bolland and Kule, but you need some speed so IMO raymond is the best fit.
I like McCenzies lines. Raymond so soft. Ice Cream soft.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Kulemin
McLaren - Colborne - Orr

Gunner - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Fraser - Franson

Raymond, Liles, Brennan, Holzer, Rielly all trying to break into the line-up.

Thought I would share this. From TSN.ca Leafs preview video.

Randy should tweet him with a ....."false coach bobo"

seriously though, Bobo is the best!! immediately after watching the early scrimmage and seeing that those were mostly the combo's out there he steps right up to the plate:sarcasm:

I say make him the inaugural recipient of the Carl Bernstein award for investigative journalism

I think most Leafs fans had these as the lines July 2nd, but bobo has now spoke

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Would much rather Mcclement do 4th line C+1st PK minutes, put colborne or Raymond on the 3rd line wing.

you already have great defensive ability in Bolland and Kule, but you need some speed so IMO raymond is the best fit.
McClement scored just as many points last season as he did all of 2011-2012. Bolland and Kulemin both can chip in 15 . I think some people need to stop expecting your third liners being able to score 30 while your top lines score 50 each lol. We're among the highest scoring the past couple seasons, we'll be fine with as you say "offensive black hole" on our 3rd line

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I'd switch Colborne/Raymond to 3LW and McClement to 4C (McClement is pretty much a non-factor offensively, so he'll need all the rest he can get for the PK and critical defensive situations). Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything else. Maybe switch Franson and Ranger around to start so Ranger can slowly readjust to the NHL game.

He scored 8 goals in the shortened season. That is 1 more than Kulemin & Bolland did last year.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
He scored 8 goals in the shortened season. That is 1 more than Kulemin & Bolland did last year.
He's good for around 10 each year. Thats pretty much his average while Bolland and Kulemin can get around 15 , thats 30-35 goals from the third line roughly. Not bad

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
I would love to see this tried out for at least one pre-season game:

Clarkson - Kadri - Kessel

JVR - Bozak - Lupul

Kulemin - Bolland - Biggs

McLaren/McClement - McClement/Colborne - Orr

I want to see how much space Clarkson can create for our two most skilled forwards.

I want to see Biggs play beside two hard working vets, who both have a good two-way game. I think he would thrive, and learn a lot.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Who cares if it is a black hole? That is three VERY good defensive players. Reminds me very much of that third grind line that was critical to Anaheim s success on their cup run (I think Moen / Pahlsson / Niedermayer)

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Who cares if it is a black hole? That is three VERY good defensive players. Reminds me very much of that third grind line that was critical to Anaheim s success on their cup run (I think Moen / Pahlsson / Niedermayer)
It was a good line, but I don't really see McClement playing a power/ tough game of Moen and Nieds. In addition, his defensive game doesn't seem as refined as Pahlsson either. Remember, McClement didn't spend much time against the Krejci line during the playoffs.

I also think that a depth scoring line with three nasty power forwards ( on top of a legitimate first line) is what made their checking line ver productive. We're probably going to need a bit of offensive power on our third line. After all, Kessel is going to be sheltered against Chara, etc, while Kadri/ Lupul can't be expected to be replicating the Getzlaf line. We're actually more like Chicago who fields multiple possession-driving line.

PS: I think Anaheim's Cogliano - Koivu - Etem resembles their previous shut down line a lot more than ours. It has less to do with Randy's preferences, and more to do with the nature of their other two lines.

bringthecuphome

May 5, 2010
This is what it should be on opening night:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond/D'amigo-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr
Colborne

Big fan of D'amigo but if Raymond will sign cheap we should go for it. Either one adds speed/potential offense to that line. I'm pretty indifferent to the one goon vs two goon argument but my guess is Carlyle will dress both.

on defense:

Phaneuf-Franson
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Ranger-Rielly
Fraser/Liles

That top pairing is one of the best in the league, don't know why it hasn't been tried yet. Gardiner and GUnnarson compliment each other well. Gives Gardiner a lot of freedom. Ranger provides Rielly with a steady, mobile, disciplined partner.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
This is what it should be on opening night:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond/D'amigo-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr
Colborne

Big fan of D'amigo but if Raymond will sign cheap we should go for it. Either one adds speed/potential offense to that line. I'm pretty indifferent to the one goon vs two goon argument but my guess is Carlyle will dress both.

on defense:

Phaneuf-Franson
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Ranger-Rielly
Fraser/Liles

That top pairing is one of the best in the league, don't know why it hasn't been tried yet. Gardiner and GUnnarson compliment each other well. Gives Gardiner a lot of freedom. Ranger provides Rielly with a steady, mobile, disciplined partner.
Because Franson isn't good enough defensively for top pairing miniuts.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Absolutely not a given.

People are getting excited because of his play in the AHL last year, however without Franson he has a chance to get ice time there.

More people are excited because he was a very good NHLer a few years ago, and is still young and played very well for the Marlies. If he becomes the player he was with Tampa, he could very well be one of the best pick ups in the NHL this year.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The last 2 seasons Ranger played in the NHL he was on the worst team and 2nd. worst team in the league.

Perhaps time to temper expectations here.

So it was Ranger, single handedly, who was the cause of Tampa being such a poor team? I'm not sure what expectations need to be tempered here, but if he comes back and plays as he has in the past, that is a huge help to the Leafs. I guess the 1 million that he is paid is what raises those expectations?

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
raymond isn't good enough to get a contract and can barely make a team...but if he makes ours hes good enough to play on a line thats gonna play against top nhl lines on most nights...okay

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
contrary to popular belief..I think Clarkson will be with Kessel actually.

Definitely a possibility, guess we will have to wait and see how he plays with him. Just seems a little unlikely since both are right shooting and would result with our top 2 RWs on the same line and our top 2 LWs on another.

Would make for an interesting possibility though.

Clarkson - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - JVR

Which line would opposing teams put their best defenders out against? With the switch of putting clarkson with kessel I think teams may want to seriously consider putting their top defense pairings up against Kadri's line, leaving Kessel's line getting the less difficult minutes. I feel Kessel would still get the top defenders considering he is already PPG against them. But Lupul - Kadri - JVR on less difficult minutes would wreck havoc against any team.

People just need to stay healthy.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Definitely a possibility, guess we will have to wait and see how he plays with him. Just seems a little unlikely since both are right shooting and would result with our top 2 RWs on the same line and our top 2 LWs on another.

Would make for an interesting possibility though.

Clarkson - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - JVR

Which line would opposing teams put their best defenders out against? With the switch of putting clarkson with kessel I think teams may want to seriously consider putting their top defense pairings up against Kadri's line, leaving Kessel's line getting the less difficult minutes. I feel Kessel would still get the top defenders considering he is already PPG against them. But Lupul - Kadri - JVR on less difficult minutes would wreck havoc against any team.

People just need to stay healthy.
Who knows...I just hope either way we can make the top two lines a very strong dynamic 1-2 punch. It's definitely do-able and wingers have moved in the past, Lupul would be a prime example. I'm also curious on how Bolland will fare this time around in possibly a more opportunity of play time.

I just hope we don't lose out health wise...or that would just be horrible.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
contrary to popular belief..I think Clarkson will be with Kessel actually.

There's a reason it's "popular belief". Unless Kadri is centering that line it's a terrible idea.

Kessel needs SOME top line skill playing beside him.

If Bozak is the center the opposite wing needs to be JVR or Lupul.

Why neuter our top player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad