McKenzie: Bob McKenzie via Frank Seravalli: Lucic met with the Dallas Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dallas Interested in Lucic?

I'm not really sure why we'd be after him - this is probably just Nill doing his homework, but our owner going out to meet him makes it seem like we're seriously trying to court him.

I don't even know where he'd fit in, either.

Benn - Seguin - Sharp
Janmark - Spezza - Nichushkin
Roussel - Faksa - Hemsky

I wonder if this means Nichushkin might be moving (I'm not going to buy any KHL rumors until they come from a reliable source, but that's for another thread).

Interesting to think about, though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Tons of teams are interested in Lucic, But with Hall moved for Larsson. I think it's safe to say that Lucic is signing with Edmonton.

Well they can't have any actual agreements in place.

The consensus does seem to be that Lucic will go to Edmonton. But the consensus also thought Subban would stay a Hab, and Stamkos would leave the Lightning. So who knows.

I'd be surprised if we do sign him - he doesn't fit our team well at all, we're going for speed and skill instead of physicality. I don't think he can keep up, honestly. But if Nill thinks he's a good acquisition, then I'md be willing to give him a shot, should he sign here.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars won't offer as much money as some other teams could. Don't think he signs with us.

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
Weren't there rumors at the draft that they were shopping Sharp?

Possibly making room for Lucic

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
The only way I see us signing Lucic is one of 2 scenarios. Nill has a blockbuster trade for a LHD. Think Nuke+Lindell as the base.

Or the trading Sharp rumours are true. In that case he would slip in nicely to cover that hole in the top 6.

If there is no blackbuster or sharp is still in Dallas I simply cannot fathom paying a dude 6 million ish with term to not have a guaranteed spot in our top 6

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Why would we move Sharp, though? He's been great for us, likely getting an A next year, fits our system better, I prefer having him around our younger guys... I'd be upset if the return isn't stellar, should that be the case.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well they can't have any actual agreements in place.

The consensus does seem to be that Lucic will go to Edmonton. But the consensus also thought Subban would stay a Hab, and Stamkos would leave the Lightning. So who knows.

I'd be surprised if we do sign him - he doesn't fit our team well at all, we're going for speed and skill instead of physicality. I don't think he can keep up, honestly. But if Nill thinks he's a good acquisition, then I'md be willing to give him a shot, should he sign here.

Good point i guess we shall find out sometime tomorrow if Lucic does in fact sign with Edmonton. I know he can't agree to a deal and until like 12:01 Friday morning July 1st. He can only show possible interest and any thing can and will happen.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Why would we move Sharp, though? He's been great for us, likely getting an A next year, fits our system better, I prefer having him around our younger guys... I'd be upset if the return isn't stellar, should that be the case.

No idea why we would but there were a couple of solid sources at the draft saying his name was out there. I'd rather keep him but it sounded like Nill was looking around

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Stars won't offer as much money as some other teams could. Don't think he signs with us.
yeah, but no matter how talented Edmonton is, Dallas with Lucic is another step close to the Stanley Cup. The Stars with Lucic would be incredibly strong offensively. Lucic wouldn't have to play 1st line like he did in LA/Boston. He could easily end in 2nd or 3rd line, and do his job more than well. It will be interesting where he ends up playing. Edmonton or Dallas, either way, both teams would get better.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Really hope this is just a ploy to drive up the price, it has worst contract of the offseason written all over it.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I'd be surprised if we do sign him - he doesn't fit our team well at all, we're going for speed and skill instead of physicality.

The reasoning for Lucic might be contained within here. The Stars are built on speed and skill, which likely would have helped their playoff chances against a different foe. St. Louis and Minnesota seemed to have their way with the Stars physically in the playoffs. Maybe Nill, Ruff, and the hockey department realize they also need a bit more size and grit to compete.

Most certainly feel the Stars need to upgrade their back end and their goaltending, but if Nill has looked at the market and not found the pieces there that provide what he is looking for, I could see how he'd turn to a Lucic as one way to change the complexion of his team for the better regardless of whether he could make anything else happen this summer.

As for the keeping up bit, there were some who felt Spezza's playing style wouldn't fit with the seemingly run-and-gun game Benn and Seguin personify. His game is a bit of a change of pace from theirs at five-on-five and I'd bet Lucic beside him would make that line a force to contend with and the Stars very tough to defend.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The reasoning for Lucic might be contained within here. The Stars are built on speed and skill, which likely would have helped their playoff chances against a different foe. St. Louis and Minnesota seemed to have their way with the Stars physically in the playoffs. Maybe Nill, Ruff, and the hockey department realize they also need a bit more size and grit to compete.

Most certainly feel the Stars need to upgrade their back end and their goaltending, but if Nill has looked at the market and not found the pieces there that provide what he is looking for, I could see how he'd turn to a Lucic as one way to change the complexion of his team for the better regardless of whether he could make anything else happen this summer.

As for the keeping up bit, there were some who felt Spezza's playing style wouldn't fit with the seemingly run-and-gun game Benn and Seguin personify. His game is a bit of a change of pace from theirs at five-on-five and I'd bet Lucic beside him would make that line a force to contend with and the Stars very tough to defend.

How many teams have done this and had it bite them in the ass?

Keep working towards the same goal. Look at Pittsburgh. That's what we need to try to do.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think the Oilers ever move Hall if Lucic didn't confirm he's signing here.

Except he can't have any kind of agreements with them. If he did, its collusion and is against the current terms of the CBA.

He has no obligation to sign with Edmonton. Could he? Sure. Will he? Possibly. There's no guarantee, though.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
As a player, I'm all for Lucic in Dallas. Love his physicality and overall game. I believe we could really use that.

Money-wise, sure it drives a bit of anxiety up, but I trust that if we do bring him in, it's 100% calculated on not just throwing money around at BPA.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini will be livid if Lucic ends up in Dallas. The Canucks have made a hard push for Lucic.

Lol, I was going to say ... Gaglardi might try to do this just to give the gears to Aquilini. I've actually heard quite a bit about Lucic liking Dallas, but obviously its a question of dollars. And the Stars need to add at least one defenseman I'd think.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I'm not really sure why we'd be after him - this is probably just Nill doing his homework, but our owner going out to meet him makes it seem like we're seriously trying to court him.

I don't even know where he'd fit in, either.

Benn - Seguin - Sharp
Janmark - Spezza - Nichushkin
Roussel - Faksa - Hemsky

I wonder if this means Nichushkin might be moving (I'm not going to buy any KHL rumors until they come from a reliable source, but that's for another thread).

Interesting to think about, though.

Easy. You trade Neimi+Nuke to Pittsburgh for MAF+ a pick.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I will pass. He was once projected to be a 30-goal PF, but is already declining as a scorer and may settle into a 18-22 goals/season guy. Taking that into account and factoring in that he doesnt bring much of a two-way game (his career OZS averages roughly north of 55%), doesn't possess a great deal of hockey IQ, and also has a propensity for foolish penalties, I wouldn't like to fork out $6M for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad