Speculation: Bob McKenzie: MSL wants a trade and will only move to NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I'm not sure that a Panik trade qualifies as 'shocking or surprising', but I've spent way too much time reading this guy's twitter feed this afternoon and it's all speculation.

It's apparently all about business and the cap (again, according to him).

He doesn't even state it's Callahan. For all that's said, it could be Girardi.

Yzlamic Preacher*

So happy for Marty. And Franklin, wow what a massive trade lol :sarcasm:. Did you at least call him an idiot?

Yzlamic Preacher*

Ok I just woke up because I had to wake up to watch the game at 4am...What in the **** is going on here?!?! It's like I woke up In the god damn twilight zone. Someone help me!

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If Marty were to ask for a trade(which I have a hard time seeing) it would most likely come in the off-season. Tampa is in the middle of the playoff hunt and Marty has been a really big reason for that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Marty isn't going anywhere.

1) He's not stupid. He knows Yzerman wasn't the reason he didn't make the roster initially. And regardless, he got his gold medal anyway.

2) Marty wants to contend for a Cup. If he really did want out, he would also ask to be sent to (a) certain team(s). Why the Rangers? They aren't in contention more than we are. We are sitting fairly comfortably in a playoff spot with a 50 goal scorer returning to the lineup soon. The Rangers have been relatively healthy all year and are still sitting behind us. The only tie I see him having to the Rangers is Brad Richards, and I only think Richards will be there until his CBO this summer.

3) Marty loves the Bolts and would never screw us like that. He would pull a king's ransom from a contender. At least one 1st rounder and maybe even a top-tier prospect, not a pushing 30 grinder entering free agency. And then we have to throw in a pick on top of that? :laugh:

From the little bit I've heard about it, Steve Ott makes sense. They are within a couple of years in age and both entering FA this summer. Callahan could have 3 years on his contract at 3 mil a year and Marty could be a FA this summer, still isn't a fair trade and the Bolts wouldn't do it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This rumor only has merit if Marty and/or Steve Yzerman have turned into a cartoon villain overnight, because one of them is going to measures to screw the Tampa Bay Lightning not seen since Jafar in Aladdin II.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Watching the Ranger fans play detective with Esiason's tweets is amusing.

They're beginning to have a vibe that is reminiscent of Toronto fans during Stammergeddon.

"But this means this and there is no other way it can be interpreted"

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
for questionable material hosted on the site.

getting ot, but ****** doesn't host much material. It's members generally link to things, which given the breadth and popularity of the site, some of which is bound to be questionable.

surprising it's a censored phrase though.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
This was just linked in that monstrosity of a thread on the trade board

http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/no-traction-on-st-louis-rangers-plan-to-deal-callahan-sources/

Reigning Art Ross Trophy winner and Canadian gold medal winner Martin St. Louis’ name has been in and out of play with the Rangers since Jan. 7, when he was bypassed by Team Canada (and Tampa Bay) general manager Steve Yzerman for his country’s Olympic roster, but no trade is pending that would bring the 38-year-old winger to New York, sources have told The Post.
Blueshirts’ general manager Glen Sather has inquired about a potential swap of team captains in which pending free agent Ryan Callahan would go to the Lightning in exchange for St. Louis, but Yzerman’s absolute lack of interest in dealing his leading scorer in exchange for a rental property has been made clear to the Rangers.

This would make me happy, except it's Brooks so it's probably ass backwards since he has never in his entire career gotten a rumor correct when it concerns the Lightning.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Why would he even inquire about such a **** trade? This whole thing is stupid and makes no sense

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
One of my friends brought Marty for Callahan up earlier today, and I dismissed it as ridiculous. Didn't know it would take off like this. If it were a 1 for 1 trade, we would get absolutely bent over.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
I dont know, I really hope Marty is not going anywhere. If he really has that damaged of a relationship with Yzerman then I hope he wouldn't leave us fans out to dry by bringing back Callahan in a one for one trade.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If this trade is as imminent as advertised by Boomer, how has a hockey insider (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun, etc.) not picked up on it? Just seems like a game he's playing to get hits on his radio show tomorrow morning.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I just don't see how St. Louis being upset with Yzerman is even plausible. It's obvious Babcock was the reason he was left off in the first place, Marty made the team anyway and if Yzerman didn't like St. Louis he wouldn't have signed him to a 4/22.5M deal his first year as GM.

IF Marty is upset enough that he would demand a trade then I would want him gone anyway but I just can't believe that. Disappointed sure but not that upset that he's willing to uproot his family and go to a worse team.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
If this trade is as imminent as advertised by Boomer, how has a hockey insider (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun, etc.) not picked up on it? Just seems like a game he's playing to get hits on his radio show tomorrow morning.

New Yorker here, I thought you guys might want to know a bit about Boomers qualifications to make sense of how you guys may or may not be involved here.

Boomer broke the lockout ending before any of them did. He also had the Rangers trading MDZ for Klein before anyone else was even really considering it. The show is doing incredibly well, it's the best ratings that slot has ever seen, and they recently got a new TV deal as well. He wouldn't be selling his integrity for one show's bump in ratings. As someone who listens regularly also it would be way out of character for him. He's a huge hockey fan, he talks about it more than football. He plays ice hockey still regularly in a house league even at his age, and even though the games are late at night and his show is early in the morning. It's a bit of a reoccurring joke on the show that he's obsessed with hockey and turns every conversation into one about hockey. When they talk Knicks he's say the Knicks are missing a Ryan Callahan, etc. He must have gained some friends the regulars don't have.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Even if Marty was upset with Yzerman and said "I want to be traded to New York because that is where my friends and family are and **** you", I don't see how Yzerman does this trade. Boomer is reporting a 1-for-1 trade with a possible pick to balance it out. Callahan+1st does not even come close to equally MSL. Boomer also said that some Ranger fans wouldn't like the deal. In what world would Ranger fans not like trading away a pending UFA who wants upwards of 6 mil a year for a future hall of famer on a great contract and still producing incredibly numbers?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's just ridiculous. There's no reason why any Tampa fan should believe it unless the trade actually does go through and it's all over the hockey news. Our captain isn't going anywhere. We are contenders with a healthy Stamkos, Bishop playing like he has all year and if the defense can tighten up. MSL got to go to the Olympics, won a gold medal, and has all reason to be happy. He might not have played as much as he would have liked but that wasnt SY call. This is all just a bunch of BS speculation on part of rags fans.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
New Yorker here, I thought you guys might want to know a bit about Boomers qualifications to make sense of how you guys may or may not be involved here.

Boomer broke the lockout ending before any of them did. He also had the Rangers trading MDZ for Klein before anyone else was even really considering it. The show is doing incredibly well, it's the best ratings that slot has ever seen, and they recently got a new TV deal as well. He wouldn't be selling his integrity for one show's bump in ratings. As someone who listens regularly also it would be way out of character for him. He's a huge hockey fan, he talks about it more than football. He plays ice hockey still regularly in a house league even at his age, and even though the games are late at night and his show is early in the morning. It's a bit of a reoccurring joke on the show that he's obsessed with hockey and turns every conversation into one about hockey. When they talk Knicks he's say the Knicks are missing a Ryan Callahan, etc. He must have gained some friends the regulars don't have.

If he really is such a credible source, why play this elaborate guessing game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad