TSN: Bob Hartley "high on Ferland"

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Okay, quick question. Why aren't we allowed to send Monahan to the AHL? Why does it have to be juniors or the NHL? I realise this is probably a dumb question but I honestly don't know the answer.

Chl has a deal with the NHL that players drafted out of the chl have to play 4 season or turn 20 before they can go to the ahl in order to keep their stars in the league.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Monahan is good enough defensively to hang in the NHL he will learn more in a bottom 6 role playing against NHLers then he will in the OHL playing as a #1 center.

I think we see him stick this year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Chl has a deal with the NHL that players drafted out of the chl have to play 4 season or turn 20 before they can go to the ahl in order to keep their stars in the league.

Which is bad for players because it can ruin their development.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Can you show me 1 player that was ruined? With out the rule the CHL would have fallen apart long ago and there would be no development league as good as it.

Players whom are at the stage between NHL and Junior have to go back to the CHL and not get the challenge they require. I can't prove this because its hard to say with any player why they failed to make the NHL.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Players whom are at the stage between NHL and Junior have to go back to the CHL and not get the challenge they require. I can't prove this because its hard to say with any player why they failed to make the NHL.

That's my point there hasn't been any player that has been ruined by it. Can't players go to the AHL if they burn a year on their ELC?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That's my point there hasn't been any player that has been ruined by it. Can't players go to the AHL if they burn a year on their ELC?

A year of wasted development is a lot for a very competitive business like hockey. There's only so many jobs between the endless amount of applicants

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Some players need more seasoning in a developmental league, others need to play against better competition to get to that next level. The coaches need to figure that out with Sean.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Some players need more seasoning in a developmental league, others need to play against better competition to get to that next level. The coaches need to figure that out with Sean.

Some developmental leagues allow players to take the next step. Its what's good for the player

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Some developmental leagues allow players to take the next step. Its what's good for the player

Oh I agree, but every player is different. A guy like Brodie or Sven, play better against better competition, they raise their games to the level of their surroundings. Others need more time to be "the guy" and really own the that role. I'm not sure what's best for Monahan yet, I need to see more of him in the preseason.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
But can't they, if they wanted too, just play them for 10 games and then send them to the AHL.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh I agree, but every player is different. A guy like Brodie or Sven, play better against better competition, they raise their games to the level of their surroundings. Others need more time to be "the guy" and really own the that role. I'm not sure what's best for Monahan yet, I need to see more of him in the preseason.

I'd give him the few games in the NHL in a medium demanding role... See where we are... I don't know if he has the tools to stay at the NHL level this year... but then I'd probably send him back down to CHL and force the 67's to trade him.

Get him onto a top tier team to simply rip it up for one year. See if he can hit that 100 point season; playing with other high end players. It won't hurt his development, if anything it'll give him some confidence if he can play amazing and actually win a game.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
But can't they, if they wanted too, just play them for 10 games and then send them to the AHL.

No. The only way Monahan can play in the AHL this season is to be assigned to the Heat after his CHL teams season is finished. In fact, once a player is assigned to the CHL they are ineligible to come back to the NHL until their CHL season is over. Except in emergency situations like when Baertschi played the 5 games for the Flames.

If the Flames really wanted to manipulate the system they could just play him about every third game until December. When his 9 games are up send him back to junior. That would put him back just in time for WJC training camp. The 67's would likely trade his OHL rights to a contender.

So you could give him 3 months of NHL experience, A WJC, and a shot at the Memorial cup. All without burning a year of his contract.

Last edited:

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I'd rather Monahan go back to junior than AHL (if that were a possibility). The guy doesn't necessarily need the extra year; good defensively to be pro as someone mentioned, but he has a lot of opportunities going back.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I believe they can so the deal holds no one back.

I believe there are rules preventing this as well, I think the AHL age limit is 1 year higher than the NHL, so if they are being kept out of Junior they must play in the NHL. Thats why most teams don't risk it with young players like Monahan.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I believe there are rules preventing this as well, I think the AHL age limit is 1 year higher than the NHL, so if they are being kept out of Junior they must play in the NHL. Thats why most teams don't risk it with young players like Monahan.

To be honest I haven't really looked into it but I think Monahan should stay the year. His skating and defensive game is NHL ready and needs to work on offense I think playing with someone like Hudler would be great for him if we can get them some easy minutes.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
To be honest I haven't really looked into it but I think Monahan should stay the year. His skating and defensive game is NHL ready and needs to work on offense I think playing with someone like Hudler would be great for him if we can get them some easy minutes.

I agree, I think he is our second best Centerman at the moment, and if thats the case, at 18 years old, the only thing he can learn in Junior is how easy it is to score on teenaged goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad