BMW charging a subscription fee to use the heated seats

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The lady has a 2019 X1. The only option it has is all wheel drive. I believe the base trim was standard with heated seats and heated steering wheel. Fun little car to whip around in, 30mpg, and was just a shade over $30k new from what i recall.

I’m still not a bmw fan. Subscriptions for car features are absurd but i suppose it was only a matter of time. It will eventually all be programmed into the car so it’s not as simple as an on/off switch.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
BMW's weren't always crap.

But they sure are now.
I definitely enjoyed it. Felt like a go kart on the streets. The failure I had was an over heated engine. Was the the first -0 drive of the year, so I figure the rad froze up. Kind of my fault, but I had just bought the damn thing. Had the engine rebuilt, but that didn't last

I'll just stick to what I know now 😊

The lady has a 2019 X1. The only option it has is all wheel drive. I believe the base trim was standard with heated seats and heated steering wheel. Fun little car to whip around in, 30mpg, and was just a shade over $30k new from what i recall.

I’m still not a bmw fan. Subscriptions for car features are absurd but i suppose it was only a matter of time. It will eventually all be programmed into the car so it’s not as simple as an on/off switch.
I'll get back to you when I'm out of an '01 😅 hopefully years later

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Replace the infotainment system... then it's as simple as an on/off switch

The hardware is there. The hardware only needs to know whether to turn on or off. What controls that hardware is easy to replace.

People get a lot of these features added to other cars aftermarket. They cannot deny the consumer the right to customize their own property.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Replace the infotainment system... then it's as simple as an on/off switch

The hardware is there. The hardware only needs to know whether to turn on or off. What controls that hardware is easy to replace.

People get a lot of these features added to other cars aftermarket. They cannot deny the consumer the right to customize their own property.
If you’re using the heating elements that bmw has wired in already, I’m sure they can find a way to make it a little more difficult than just replacing the infotainment unit. Those are sky rocketing in costs anyway.

Now if you wanna try adding your own toggle switch and wire that directly to the seats, that’s probably hundreds, potentially thousands cheaper than replacing the whole head unit. It’s probably got a greater chance of permanent success as well. Even then, engineers far smarter than I will find ways to make it more difficult to power the seat heaters. That’s how i can see this playing out at least.

I agree that It’s all bullshit any way you slice it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If you’re using the heating elements that bmw has wired in already, I’m sure they can find a way to make it a little more difficult than just replacing the infotainment unit. Those are sky rocketing in costs anyway.

Now if you wanna try adding your own toggle switch and wire that directly to the seats, that’s probably hundreds, potentially thousands cheaper than replacing the whole head unit. It’s probably got a greater chance of permanent success as well. Even then, engineers far smarter than I will find ways to make it more difficult to power the seat heaters. That’s how i can see this playing out at least.

I agree that It’s all bullshit any way you slice it.
The engineers can't change the physics of how heating coils operate. You can always rewire a power source.
Yes, I figured you'd use a toggle to take control, I was just talking about swapping out the infotainment system to limit their control.

Yes, it's costly, but still cheaper than adding up all those monthly feature subscriptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad