BMW charging a subscription fee to use the heated seats

HansonBro

May 3, 2006

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: tacogeoff and TaLoN

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Think it was EA Sports 😅
For their next trick, BMW is going to refuse to put tires on the car and make those new "skins" microtransaction-based!

Shitty cars by a shitty company for shitty people.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This growing marketing development might just signal the return of the Yugo. Seats will cost you an extra 5 bucks per month, upholstery optional for another Euro.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It is getting insane how these microtransaction have infected the economy. Consumer Reports had an article last year on this subject Why You Might Need to Subscribe to Get Certain Features on Your Next Car - Consumer Reports

The kicker here is that in some cases you buy a car or product with no intent of ever paying for say the heated seats but it costs the company to put those seats in so they will charge you extra for the seats even though you will never use them...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.
Anyone who wastes their money for this? I have some land down in Florida for sale.

This would be so easy to bypass. The feature is in the car, all you need is the on/ off switch to use it. 10 second rewire.

Reactions: SoupNazi

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The kicker here is that in some cases you buy a car or product with no intent of ever paying for say the heated seats but it costs the company to put those seats in so they will charge you extra for the seats even though you will never use them...
That's a prevailing condition ever since automakers introduced "packages" to their model lines.

Reactions: beowulf

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Anyone who wastes their money for this? I have some land down in Florida for sale.

This would be so easy to bypass. The feature is in the car, all you need is the on/ off switch to use it. 10 second rewire.
homie they're buying a BMW so they're already wasting tens of thousands of dollars in the first place, why not a few more?

Reactions: TD Charlie

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Anyone dumb enough to buy a BMW would certainly be a ripe candidate to continue getting bent over each month.

• Love
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I had a BMW once...think it was a 99 318i. It was nice when it actually worked 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad