Half-Assed GDT: Blues Wild Leddy 1000

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If you take care of the wood, it should easily last you that long, if not longer. The issue will be protecting the wood with like a clear coat or something like that if you plan on having cups or food on top. Just like with any material (or most I should say), you have to keep up with it to have it last very long.
Oh definitely. Definitely never going with laminate again tho. At least not while living in my current apartment that is. I've been researching butcher block woodcare a lot over the past month and a 1/2 So I'm going to try my best to keep my next desk as nice and healthy as possible.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
get another goal, dont give minnesota a loser point at all

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Oh definitely. Definitely never going with laminate again tho. At least not while living in my current apartment that is. I've been researching butcher block woodcare a lot over the past month and a 1/2 So I'm going to try my best to keep my next desk as nice and healthy as possible.
As long as you're going to woodworking forums, reddit, youtube, etc and digesting all the information you're researching, you're going to be more than ok. And honestly, the amount you're going to spend to make something is going to be substantially less than going to a store, so there's that benefit too (assuming you've got the tools). I know there can be hesitance if you're doing something out of your comfort zone AND spending a decent amount of money, but you'll be a-ok

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I am putting in new baseboards in part of the house and taped the game for later, but my daughter is watching in the other room and all I hear is Kyrou, Kyrou, Kyrou
he must really be pooping the bed today cause we all know he is worthless and couldn’t be doing anything worthwhile
we should just cut him

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kyrou, Thomas and Neighbors look like perennial 25-30 goal scorers, hopefully Dvo and Snuggs are too. We’ll have a great young nucleus to build around. We might just be contenders in the future after we add a couple dman.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not a wood worker. But, I am trying to get out of my normal element (Computers/Video games). I started working from home and my Ikea butcher block I have my computer and other electronics on has the laminate starting to peel off (I have an overly hot and humid room compared to the rest of my apartment) And I'm wanting to go to a full real wood butcher block to avoid those issues in the future. I'm not too worried about how dark the wood is, I have all black legs that I will be using so anything would look good. I just mainly want something that will last 3-5 years or longer if possible.
Finish will be really important then.

I can’t speak to the heat element as I haven’t felt with that as a big factor.

Polyurethane (oil based) is probably the most bulletproof, but it essentially makes the surface plastic and if you concerned about off-gassing/VOCs it’s not great. Water based isn’t as durable, but it’s less toxic. So there is some trade off. It’s a multiple coat process no matter what, with sanding in between. Oil based will likely yellow over time, particularly with sun light so take that into account.

There is a bit of a move to hard wax finishes for furniture these days. There is a greater range of effectiveness in the manufactures in terms of protection, ease of application and VOC levels. The best I know of is Rubio Monocoat. You can order it directly from them. It claims no VOCs. It actually smells good to me (it’s slightly sweet), but that’s not a great reason for selecting a finish. Anyway, it claims to be a one coat application and I have to say that it’s the easiest application I have ever used. It’s almost fool proof so long as you wipe off the excess. Super easy to do. It isn’t cheap, but you need very little, like surprisingly little. You can also easily make quick repairs whereas with poly you have to strip the whole desk down and start over if there is a problem or if it needs maintenance. It’s promoted for furniture and floors, so it has some durability. There are pigment options if you don’t want a pure raw finish. (With poly you would have to stain first, if that’s your thing). That’s what I would recommend for finishes in general. But I have no idea about the heat component. You could probably call them if you are interested.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
uh wild had 4 men on the ice after that dumb schenn giveaway

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That was a very bad pass to make in overtime with a tired opposition on the ice.

Luckily Saad ends it after Binny came through.

Reactions: Fitrix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad