Rumor: Blues waiving Maroon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Right before his bobblehead night :laugh:

Also, as a bobblehead collector, that has to be one of the worst bobbleheads ever dreamed up.

The team clearly had big ideas for him when they singed him (including the reported extension). Sucks because Maroon seems like a great guy and it was admirable for him to sign here relatively cheap to be near his son, but he has been absolute garbage this year. For his sake, I hope Edmonton claims him and he can be reunited with McDavid and earn a big pay day in free agency.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If this is true, hopefully someone will claim him and he can rebuild his value there. Just didn't work out here.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Found the Jeff Jones tweet and have been looking through the rest of twitter. I have to say I haven't seen anyone credible post anything about Maroon going on waivers. The best I can tell is that the Rumor came from some Blues podcast, having trouble tracking down the podcast in question though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Found the Jeff Jones tweet and have been looking through the rest of twitter. I have to say I haven't seen anyone credible post anything about Maroon going on waivers. The best I can tell is that the Rumor came from some Blues podcast, having trouble tracking down the podcast in question though.
Jones is St. Louis-based reporter. Most likely he heard it from someone in Maroon camp.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Jones is St. Louis-based reporter. Most likely he heard it from someone in Maroon camp.

Jones self identifies himself as a "Cardinals insider" and a "Blues Outsider"

Take that as you will. I think it is possible that he has some sources within the organization but he is far from a credible reporter.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Jones self identifies himself as a "Cardinals insider" and a "Blues Outsider"

Take that as you will. I think it is possible that he has some sources within the organization but he is far from a credible reporter.
Perhaps, but if you follow him on Twitter he isn't usually rumor monger. He is generally straight shooter.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Perhaps, but if you follow him on Twitter he isn't usually rumor monger. He is generally straight shooter.

This. He's not a super credible reporter but he doesn't stick his neck out unless he's actually hearing things. He's comfortable enough in his position at GameTime to stay the course and not grasp at straws. No clue if what he's hearing will end up being true but there is something there if he's talking about specific names. Not that I've seen any tweets to suggest the report of the name being Maroon.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
This. He's not a super credible reporter but he doesn't stick his neck out unless he's actually hearing things. He's comfortable enough in his position at GameTime to stay the course and not grasp at straws. No clue if what he's hearing will end up being true but there is something there if he's talking about specific names. Not that I've seen any tweets to suggest the report of the name being Maroon.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016

Gotcha. Thanks for posting that. I haven't been on this site in 3 weeks and have spent the entire night catching up and not on twitter. From what I know of Jeff, him mentioning names means there is some credibility to it because he rarely speaks in specifics unless there's something he has heard.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Well we will have to see. I wouldn't necessarily be against it. Maroon has been a negative IMO. In last nights game when the Blues as a whole were on top of their game I saw easily a half dozen plays die on Maroon's stick.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Because Maroon lives and is from STL there are probably vocal friends or family. Remember that Maroon’s brother is a loudmouth.

I’m guessing he gets moved, but not before bobble head night

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Maroon has deleted his Instagram account. That could very well mean nothing. Maybe he doesn’t want to deal with comments from fans about it?

Either way, this definitely hasn’t been a good fit for him. He looks REALLY bad out there.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I can’t see this... there would be interest in Maroon at next to no asset cost, Armstrong would work with Maroon to put him somewhere he was comfortable with before dumping him on waivers.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I can’t see this... there would be interest in Maroon at next to no asset cost, Armstrong would work with Maroon to put him somewhere he was comfortable with before dumping him on waivers.
I agree. I would imagine that even as ineffective as he has been, either (both?) Edmonton and Anaheim would offer a middling pick or prospect for him given their current needs and their history with him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree. I would imagine that even as ineffective as he has been, either (both?) Edmonton and Anaheim would offer a middling pick or prospect for him given their current needs and their history with him.
But would Maroon want to go back to either team? Edmonton seems like a natural fit but maybe he wants to stay closer to the Midwest the rest of the season or something.

And one of the teams he "wants" to go to, would have to want him in return. Maybe the Blues tried but couldn't find a suitor. Remember that they also tried trading Jaskin before waiving him and couldn't find anything. Sometimes fans overestimate the value of these 4th line guys... Maroon's foot speed doesn't help his case in today's game, nobody wants to get slower. Everyone wants to get faster. If I recall, aside from the Blues, Devils and maybe Oilers - I don't think he had many teams trying to sign him in the Summer.

So there's lots of variables here.

Reactions: Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
But would Maroon want to go back to either team? Edmonton seems like a natural fit but maybe he wants to stay closer to the Midwest the rest of the season or something.

And one of the teams he "wants" to go to, would have to want him in return. Maybe the Blues tried but couldn't find a suitor. Remember that they also tried trading Jaskin before waiving him and couldn't find anything. Sometimes fans overestimate the value of these 4th line guys... Maroon's foot speed doesn't help his case in today's game, nobody wants to get slower. Everyone wants to get faster. If I recall, aside from the Blues, Devils and maybe Oilers - I don't think he had many teams trying to sign him in the Summer.

So there's lots of variables here.
It's not about getting him to a team he specifically wants to be on, it's about offering him around the League and giving him the pick of the teams that are interested. It doesn't make a difference to us, but it would to the player.

He put up 40+ points in each of the past two seasons and has a cheap contract that has no long term risk. Some GM's are going to think they have a niche where he can be productive. Calgary and Vegas both had interest in the summer, but we're now talking about teams who he was looking for a multi-year deal from. Who knows what the interest would have been like for a 1 year deal at under $2m.

Who knows though, I've been wrong often enough before. Just Maroon on waivers would be a big shock.

Reactions: Thallis

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I could see NJ claiming him, as they had a scout at our last game and he played well in his brief stint there. Edmonton makes sense as they have no depth and Hitch loves his big boys.

Edit: after reading the above post it makes me wonder if all those scouts weren't there for Maroon! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad