Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
didn't think Lindy has played enuff games to have to go thru waivers again?
No, he hasn't. But what is the point of bringing him up if he can only play a few games and neither Binnington, nor Husso have played enough games to be tired, or, more importantly, to have gotten into a comfortable groove yet? THEY are our Top 2 until proven not to be. What good would it do to continue to split the goaltending 3 ways in sporadic spurts, with Lindy having to go back to The AHL often? And wouldn't The Blues also have to FAKE injuries or falsely put Binnington or Husso on The Covid list or fake injuries to have Lindgren qualify as an emergency call-up, to have him avoid the waiver eligibility each time, as if it were not an emergency he'd already be over the maximum for the season to be exempt from waivers?

Reactions: GoBluz24

Mar 6, 2012
I think the soft Hakanpaa call was a makeup call for the soft Perron call. Stupid I know, but we all know how the refs do this stuff. Giving the Stars a PP with 5 minutes left on a pretty iffy call is not something that usually happens so I'm sure they were looking extra close to try and even things out. I hate this crap but everyone knows it happens all the time.

The missed stick grab by Schenn I think they probably just didn't see. It's really easy to go back and watch the tape and make judgements, but this game moves fast and that's a super easy thing to miss at real speed from the refs point of view. I think it's as simple as that.

And if they did see but didn't call it, it's most likely because refs typically swallow their whistles in the last minute of a close game, unless, you know, someone does something like a two-handed baseball hand chop to the gloves of the player handling the puck.

The slash on Kyrou was blatant and would have been a call with or without the broken stick. I doubt the ref even saw the stick break. It was a blatant obvious deliberate slash to the hands of the guy with the puck in a high danger area. That gets a call 100% of the time, any time during the game, all year long. It's an insta penalty.

Again, the refs probably just didn't see him play it with a broken stick and if they did he did drop it very quickly so if there is any wiggle room at all they probably just gave it to him. Calling a penalty on him after he had his stick smashed in half like that also would have been a bad look and super ticky-tacky. Imagine how pissed off everyone would have been if that was the sequence.

"You, you're off for a slash that broke his stick. You, you're off for playing the puck on the carry thru of the play you had your stick broken on."

That would have been a ridiculous series of events.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The missed stick grab by Schenn I think they probably just didn't see. It's really easy to go back and watch the tape and make judgements, but this game moves fast and that's a super easy thing to miss at real speed from the refs point of view. I think it's as simple as that.
The venn diagram of people who are outraged by that missed call and people who first described it as an obvious/egregious/blatant trip is basically a circle.

That should speak volumes about how unrealistic most people's expectations are about NHL officiating. Every single one of those people saw a guy go down, saw an opponent on the ice near his feet and assumed that he was tripped. They were incorrect and didn't realize that until after viewing multiple replays. Even with the benefit of replay, most people pissed about the call missed the stick grab and thought it was a trip until after the game was over. It wasn't until they saw the perfect angle on a slow-mo gif that they saw what actually happened. And this angle was the one directly opposite of the angle the ref had on the play.

This should be a very good lesson in just how difficult it is to officiate hockey. At the speed hockey is played, it is incredibly difficult to have your eyes on every point of potential infraction. The ref is "looking right at it" in this play, but was screened from the stick hold by 3 bodies. He (correctly) has his eyes on the defender's skates/legs/body to look out for any obstruction to the player and (correctly) sees none. He missed the stick hold that occurred to the side and behind the Dallas player that took place around the midsection of a player who is on the ice with his back to the ref. This is a perfect example of how damn difficult it is to officiate hockey and how unrealistic our expectations are for officials. Schenn absolutely committed an infraction, but how the hell can anyone expect this ref to have seen it given the chaos between him and the point of infraction?

Schenn-Stick-Hold.png

Mar 6, 2012
Yeah, but Holtby was making a play for the puck. Goalies will get the benefit of the doubt on a play like that 99% of the time... and they should.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Yeah, but Holtby was making a play for the puck. Goalies will get the benefit of the doubt on a play like that 99% of the time... and they should.
It's still a penalty. He was trying to poke check Schenn and tripped him instead. Was also WAY outside the crease. Binnington was just called for it in the WC.

Reactions: Xerloris

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The venn diagram of people who are outraged by that missed call and people who first described it as an obvious/egregious/blatant trip is basically a circle.

That should speak volumes about how unrealistic most people's expectations are about NHL officiating. Every single one of those people saw a guy go down, saw an opponent on the ice near his feet and assumed that he was tripped. They were incorrect and didn't realize that until after viewing multiple replays. Even with the benefit of replay, most people pissed about the call missed the stick grab and thought it was a trip until after the game was over. It wasn't until they saw the perfect angle on a slow-mo gif that they saw what actually happened. And this angle was the one directly opposite of the angle the ref had on the play.

This should be a very good lesson in just how difficult it is to officiate hockey. At the speed hockey is played, it is incredibly difficult to have your eyes on every point of potential infraction. The ref is "looking right at it" in this play, but was screened from the stick hold by 3 bodies. He (correctly) has his eyes on the defender's skates/legs/body to look out for any obstruction to the player and (correctly) sees none. He missed the stick hold that occurred to the side and behind the Dallas player that took place around the midsection of a player who is on the ice with his back to the ref. This is a perfect example of how damn difficult it is to officiate hockey and how unrealistic our expectations are for officials. Schenn absolutely committed an infraction, but how the hell can anyone expect this ref to have seen it given the chaos between him and the point of infraction?

Schenn-Stick-Hold.png

People have unrealistic expectations of officials in any sport. Your assessment of this, Brian, is spot on. I doubt that the trailing referee can see this, either, because of Schenn's body.

The slash was a slash. That call is going to be made nearly 100% of the time, regardless of when it happens.

I don't have a lot of patience with whining about the officials. I do not expect them to be perfect, and sometimes not even good. I didn't like it the other night when people here were having coronaries in the Pen's game (the only call I had any real heartburn with was Miko's goalie interference). I don't like it any more when the Stars fans are doing it after this game.

Yet, you can pretty much go into the main forum or any game-day forum of a team that lost and hear people complaining that a call they wanted made that was not cost their team the game. Even if they are wrong about what happened. Even if the score was 8-1. That's easier than admitting they missed 4 open nets, took 3 stupid penalties that cost them 2 goals, gave up 2 goals while they were on the power play, and had somebody put it into their own net.

Reactions: Brian39

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I thought the Stars announcers we're VERY PROFESSIONAL on this sequence.

TBH I totally get why the Stars are pissed. Felt the same way against PIT. But in that case it was the GI bullshit.
Totally agree, they present the penalty calls/no calls in a very fair way

Mar 6, 2012
I mean, holy heck, people are still talking about this on the main board? It was a missed call in the last minute of a game. How often does that happen? Every other game?

Slow news week?

Reactions: TK 421

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
No, he hasn't. But what is the point of bringing him up if he can only play a few games and neither Binnington, nor Husso have played enough games to be tired, or, more importantly, to have gotten into a comfortable groove yet? THEY are our Top 2 until proven not to be. What good would it do to continue to split the goaltending 3 ways in sporadic spurts, with Lindy having to go back to The AHL often? And wouldn't The Blues also have to FAKE injuries or falsely put Binnington or Husso on The Covid list or fake injuries to have Lindgren qualify as an emergency call-up, to have him avoid the waiver eligibility each time, as if it were not an emergency he'd already be over the maximum for the season to be exempt from waivers?

my point was he can safely be sent down to the A and get some work in while the big 2 play here. no worries about him getting claimed..etc

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
my point was he can safely be sent down to the A and get some work in while the big 2 play here. no worries about him getting claimed..etc
Games played is only a single factor in the waiver thing. The other one is days on the NHL roster. He can hit 30 days on the roster before 10 games played and still have to go through waivers.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
People have unrealistic expectations of officials in any sport. Your assessment of this, Brian, is spot on. I doubt that the trailing referee can see this, either, because of Schenn's body.

The slash was a slash. That call is going to be made nearly 100% of the time, regardless of when it happens.

I don't have a lot of patience with whining about the officials. I do not expect them to be perfect, and sometimes not even good. I didn't like it the other night when people here were having coronaries in the Pen's game (the only call I had any real heartburn with was Miko's goalie interference). I don't like it any more when the Stars fans are doing it after this game.

Yet, you can pretty much go into the main forum or any game-day forum of a team that lost and hear people complaining that a call they wanted made that was not cost their team the game. Even if they are wrong about what happened. Even if the score was 8-1. That's easier than admitting they missed 4 open nets, took 3 stupid penalties that cost them 2 goals, gave up 2 goals while they were on the power play, and had somebody put it into their own net.

why not ? i expect them to be perfect + good ...mfers making alot of money doing this

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
why not ? i expect them to be perfect + good ...mfers making alot of money doing this

That's nice, but we are dealing with humans. Essentially two humans to watch potentially 5 sets of interactions, sometimes screened off of the play they need to see by one or more of the other 4 sets of interactions, either being in their line of site to the offending interaction, or catching their attention as a potential flash point when another one happens.

It doesn't matter how much money you pay them, those limitations still apply. All the money hopefully gets you is the best humans having to deal with the situations, but the situations still exist.

The old saying is that the number one cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
That's nice, but we are dealing with humans. Essentially two humans to watch potentially 5 sets of interactions, sometimes screened off of the play they need to see by one or more of the other 4 sets of interactions, either being in their line of site to the offending interaction, or catching their attention as a potential flash point when another one happens.

It doesn't matter how much money you pay them, those limitations still apply. All the money hopefully gets you is the best humans having to deal with the situations, but the situations still exist.

The old saying is that the number one cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations.

what do you mean 2 ? are the linesmen just waterjockeys ? is the big eye in the sky still watching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad