Post-Game Talk: Blues undefeated no more, Jets win 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean Chisholm has been a ppg in the AHL as a dmen going back to last seasons playoffs. He does this while showing excellent mobility, good defense and some physicality. How much more off the page can you really expect?

Heinola is not going to learn better defensive decisions when he is head and shoulders above most of his comp that he is almost able to do whatever it is he wants to do with the puck at that level. Go watch a game if you haven't seen him yet this year, he spends next to no time in his end defending. Playing against NHL speed where he is forced to make quicker decisions and adapt is exactly what he needs.

My point is that we have a number of players who have earned opportunities down there and aren't getting them because they are being blocked and we are running out of time to get those players opportunities before we are forced to risk loosing them for nothing. Let's also face it the established players blocking them aren't exactly all that amazing.

I don't actually think this org has a good plan with regards to integrating their prospect dmen. We've seen what two successfully developed d prospects in 11 years.
And in a couple years are we then going to say our current prospects are blocking our most recent prospects? None are likely to be true stars. Samberg likely becomes a player similar to Dillion and DeMelo. Really good defensively but limited offense. Heinola probably becomes a good #2-3 offensive first guy. The player I was thinking he might become is a Toby Enstrom type. Really good offensive instincts and was good defensively because of quick decisions and he made a very good first pass. But Toby didn't start his NHL career until the season he turned 23. Heinola was drafted much earlier, but 20 years ago undersized European defenseman weren't exactly on NHL scouts radar. Chisholm is actually pretty similar to our press box guy Capo. These guys will have pro careers, but teams that are trying to win now don't automatically push aside their veteran players to develop them in the NHL. TNSE owns their own farm team so they can develop their players with a organizational purpose as their priority.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The thing I liked about yesterday's win - yes, the Blues capitulated and just looked like they wanted to get out of there at the end, but a huge part of that was how smothering the Jets were especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods. The score was close predominantly because of Greiss.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So when Ehlers comes back does that make Wheeler a little redundant on this team.
Appleton plays well on the 1st. Ehlers on the 2nd. Leave the 3rd line alone and Wheeler doesn’t really fit on the 4th line. All though it would allow Wheeler to eat up lower competition. Would the Jet’s be better without him? Is having Wheeler on the 4th line a luxury we can afford? Can we move him realistically? He has played well but he is being passed by younger cheaper players.

Appleton brings almost nothing to the top line. He doesn't aid in transition, and has less than 1/4 the scoring touch of Scheifele and Connor. 55 carried the line last night. He can't do it by himself with 2 anchors around his neck.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
so we scored 43 empty netters last year? no wait that's not right...ok well Wheels scored ever point on the Power play?

hmm... seems only 1/3 of his points were on the Power play.....

and isn't that what you are supposed to do on the PP unit? score? so again I'm not sure what you are on abvout.

but do go on and give us a list of players who are better and we could have got who could put in near a point per game for his same salary...around 4.1 mill....

so what you are saying is a couple of Devon Toews types is gonna get us to the cup burt Wheels can't?
How many points did Wheezer get 5v5 last season, if it was at least half of his point total I’ll take back what I posted about him!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And in a couple years are we then going to say our current prospects are blocking our most recent prospects? None are likely to be true stars. Samberg likely becomes a player similar to Dillion and DeMelo. Really good defensively but limited offense. Heinola probably becomes a good #2-3 offensive first guy. The player I was thinking he might become is a Toby Enstrom type. Really good offensive instincts and was good defensively because of quick decisions and he made a very good first pass. But Toby didn't start his NHL career until the season he turned 23. Heinola was drafted much earlier, but 20 years ago undersized European defenseman weren't exactly on NHL scouts radar. Chisholm is actually pretty similar to our press box guy Capo. These guys will have pro careers, but teams that are trying to win now don't automatically push aside their veteran players to develop them in the NHL. TNSE owns their own farm team so they can develop their players with a organizational purpose as their priority.

Well no one is saying Morrissey is blocking anyone as he's a very good player. But guys like Stanley (100 games in and in his mid 20's) can't seem to contribute unless he's sheltered and played with an elite defensive dmen keeps getting opportunities not because he's actually earned them but because he is tall.

Maybe that is all Chisholm is but maybe he's the next Andersson (Calgary). You just don't know unless you give players who have done all that they can and excelled am opportunity. I like Chisholm more then Ville myself. He's better defensively and has more projectable skating and size. He also generates his offense in a more structured and predictable fashion then Ville.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Sadly its not Wheezers last year, Jets have this flailing senior locked up until the end of 24'!

You could have two decent players in the lineup with his ridiculous contract!

Wheeler is traditionally a slow starter. He will be just fine.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well no one is saying Morrissey is blocking anyone as he's a very good player. But guys like Stanley (100 games in and in his mid 20's) can't seem to contribute unless he's sheltered and played with an elite defensive dmen keeps getting opportunities not because he's actually earned them but because he is tall.

Maybe that is all Chisholm is but maybe he's the next Andersson (Calgary). You just don't know unless you give players who have done all that they can and excelled am opportunity. I like Chisholm more then Ville myself. He's better defensively and has more projectable skating and size. He also generates his offense in a more structured and predictable fashion then Ville.
From the limited amount I've seen of Chisholm, which includes his Junior hi - lite reels he looks great to me, and I'd like to see him given some ice time. From what I've seen he has good command of the blue line, and has a lot of poise. This is a guy that I think will become a great defenseman for the Jets. Like to see him get some ice time, as apparently he's scoring at about a point per game pace in AHL. I'm sure with injuries that come up every year, we will see Chisholm.

As for Heinola, I'd trade the guy, as he's just too small, and not physical enough to be a defenseman in the NHL. You need a tough type guy that can clear the front of the net, and also protect our smaller talent guys like Perfetti, Ehlers and Connor, and Dillon will do that, and Heinola won't. It's very important we keep Dillon, as we don't want our stars playing scared, or getting injured. Also a lot of players like to run the Goalie over, and we don't need Helle charged like that.

There's a reason why Maurice and Bowness did not play Heinola, and that's because he's a liability in the defensive zone. He's the same kind of player as Niku, and will end up being traded off the same way Niku was. I hope so, as he's not the right fit for the Jets, as we have a smaller defence as it is. Tiny Heiny must go.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Re: Chisholm — he’s a year older than Heinola but IMO he outplayed him last season and is off to another great start this year. His last two years of junior were superb as well. The only thing holding him back from being higher on people’s prospect lists, IMO, is his draft position. It’s hard to look at a guy drafted in the fifth round and see them as something special until they make it. I’m not saying he’s a future #1 or anything but I have full confidence that he can be a top four D. It would really suck if we use him in a trade for a rental or if we trade him because we don’t have room for him, without giving him a real shot.
totally agree with you on Chisholm, very underrated, and will very likely be in the Jets top 4 if given the chance to prove himself. This is going to be the diamond in the rough the Jets need.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wheeler made a great pass to PLD on a PP at the point threading the puck through three Blue's sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad