Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
me first, me first
gold-medal-1st-place.gif

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Looking at what has gone on around the league the last few days, I think my POV right now is that the only way we are going to be able to make the moves it’s going to take to fix the defense is for Army to be willing to lose a trade to free up cap space. I’m just not sure that’s something he’s going to be willing to do.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Looking at what has gone on around the league the last few days, I think my POV right now is that the only way we are going to be able to make the moves it’s going to take to fix the defense is for Army to be willing to lose a trade to free up cap space. I’m just not sure that’s something he’s going to be willing to do.
Any trades I think will likely need to be $ for $. Dumping a guy with multiple years onto bottom dweller to free cap space will be prohibitively expensive.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's fine kicking the Krug can down the road. Hopefully he bouces back and looks more attractive as a 3 year deal.

I'm sort of expecting something like Bortozzo for whatever, and then signing someone like Sundqvist. Now, we'll have injuries to use 8-9 dmen, but I do think we have too many bodies. I don't really think Army/Ownership carries about the 1-way contracts, but I do think Bortozzo or Rosen should be moved to have a better roster balance.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Agree 100%. I had a feeling the Krug trade ship sailed when Duchene was literally just bought out instead of traded out at half retention. I don't know if any team in the league with 6million in cap space exists, let alone one who'd actually want Krug AND be a team he'd waive for. I still think Scandella can be moved, however, but maybe we wait until the deadline.

Honestly it's almost freeing. Either coaching improves and we're better next year or we stay poopy and keep retooling.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agree 100%. I had a feeling the Krug trade ship sailed when Duchene was literally just bought out instead of traded out at half retention. I don't know if any team in the league with 6million in cap space exists, let alone one who'd actually want Krug AND be a team he'd waive for. I still think Scandella can be moved, however, but maybe we wait until the deadline.

Honestly it's almost freeing. Either coaching improves and we're better next year or we stay poopy and keep retooling.

Pretty much this. I kept saying the same last year when people were criticizing Army for not trading Tarasenko sooner. Cap space is like pure gold at this point in the year and there is no urgent need to move these guys right now, especially when we'd have to pay assets or take on another contract to make it possible.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Pretty much this. I kept saying the same last year when people were criticizing Army for not trading Tarasenko sooner. Cap space is like pure gold at this point in the year and there is no urgent need to move these guys right now, especially when we'd have to pay assets or take on another contract to make it possible.

Things will change next year. Cap is going up so things maybe different next summer.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
There's reportedly like 4 teams after Karlsson. I wonder if any of them could pivot towards Krug if they miss out.
The amount of teams that have enough cap space and are competitive is pretty low. You've got the Bruins (still have questions about Krejci and Bergeron), Hurricanes (ideal), NYR (still has to sign players), Edmonton, New Jersey. I'm sure there are other teams who could make it work, but those are the ones who are competitive right now, though idk who is supposed to be in on Karlsson. There are also 8 teams over the cap that have to trade players (others can bury contracts). This is a tough position for teams right now so I'm not sure how much movement we're going to see from the Blues.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
There's reportedly like 4 teams after Karlsson. I wonder if any of them could pivot towards Krug if they miss out.
The amount of teams that have enough cap space and are competitive is pretty low. You've got the Bruins (still have questions about Krejci and Bergeron), Hurricanes (ideal), NYR (still has to sign players), Edmonton, New Jersey. I'm sure there are other teams who could make it work, but those are the ones who are competitive right now, though idk who is supposed to be in on Karlsson. There are also 8 teams over the cap that have to trade players (others can bury contracts). This is a tough position for teams right now so I'm not sure how much movement we're going to see from the Blues.
Krug certainly comes in cheaper Karlsson will for any team. The question is if any teams that lose/luck out on not getting Karlsson are a destination Krug would be willing to go to.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Krug certainly comes in cheaper Karlsson will for any team. The question is if any teams that lose/luck out on not getting Karlsson are a destination Krug would be willing to go to.
Right. My assumption is that he'd be willing to go to a playoff team, but I can understand the argument that he doesn't want to uproot his family right now. I don't know if the rumors were true, but if he was willing to go to Philly but not play for Torts, then maybe there is an avenue to ship him back east to a non-playoff team. There are a lot of potential suitors, both playoff teams and not, that could make the deal work. Having said that, I don't know which team would want or need a player like him. He'd be a decent buy at 3.25 mil though.

Reactions: mk80

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Two items.
-Really surprised the Blues didnt offer Sunny. The guy clearly loves St. Louis, and you would think he would have signed a similar contract to what Mac Mac signed.

-A few days ago watching for an update on Yahoo (I Know I know) they mentioned that Tarasenko has offers from multiple teams and listed the Blues among them?
That would be something else, if Tarasenko returned to the Team.....or should say medical staff, that he complained about.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My gut tells me that Army is still trying to re-shape the D via trade, but I'd imagine that the trade market is on hold until there is some resolution on Karlsson and DeBrincat.

Ottawa has set themselves up to get fleeced in a trade over the next 8 weeks. It is painfully obvious that they have to make a move. If the arbitrator awards DeBrincat the absolute minimum allowed, that would put Ottawa at $81.98M against the cap with just 18 players under contract. They might be inexplicably willing to let DeBrincat play out the year on his arb award and then walk as a UFA, but they need to shed a meaningful contract in order to do that.

Let's say they keep DeBrincat after he is awarded the bare minimum. Moving Joseph (with no retention) would leave them with just $4.47M in cap space and 17 guys on the roster. That's not enough to make a 23 man roster even if every guy takes league-minimum so it probably means Pinto gets his $875k QO 1 year strong-arm bridge and then the rest of the guys get league minimum so you can run a 22 man roster all year. After the good top 6 (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherton, DeBrincat, Giroux) they would be left with a bottom 6 of Pinto, Kastelic, Kelly, and then prospects or league minimum filler. That's...not good. Realistically, keeping DeBrincat and building a competent forward group would require them to move a contract bigger than Joseph's (who I think would be very difficult to move w/o retention).

DeBrincat is doing what Shatty did and making it clear that he isn't giving up his chance at UFA to sign an extension in a place he doesn't really want to go to. More power to him. He is under no obligation to pass up his once-in-a-lifetime chance to hit UFA in his prime. Ottawa has no leverage and is clearly not getting offers they like. Dorian needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat to avoid either getting badly fleeced on a DeBrincat deal or badly fleeced on the cap-shedding deal he needs to make if he decides to keep DeBrincat.

Reactions: Robb_K

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I think we all would agree that something has to give or a move needs to happen.
The Blues not only have 8 defensemen on a 1 way deal, they have a total of 17 defensemen under contract that will need to play in the AHL or NHL.
They also have a total of 6 Goalies who either played in the A or NHL last season.

While everyone seems to concentrate on Krug, you would think that Scandy or Leddy, could potentially be moved and provide a bit of cap space.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think we all would agree that something has to give or a move needs to happen.
The Blues not only have 8 defensemen on a 1 way deal, they have a total of 17 defensemen under contract that will need to play in the AHL or NHL.
They also have a total of 6 Goalies who either played in the A or NHL last season.

While everyone seems to concentrate on Krug, you would think that Scandy or Leddy, could potentially be moved and provide a bit of cap space.
Scandella yes, Leddy no

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ellis and Cranley aren't even AHL quality, so they are fine in ECHL, so no logjam with the goalies. With defense, it was mentioned that Army is fine opening the year with 8 D and 13 F, and of the 17 we have signed, Buchinger is one that will be in juniors and not AHL eligible. Someone like Skinner spent time in the ECHL last season with NY, so it wouldn't be shocking if he's there either.

A move is somewhat likely to happen, but it doesn't have to happen. And a move would probably be something like Bortozzo out, since Tucker basically fits that role. And I imagine moves on defense pick up once someone like Karlsson is traded and either teams adjust to backup plans or the team that got Karlsson needs cheap defensive depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad