Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’ve long maintained that Army places little value in draft picks outside the top 40 or so. Does anyone know the last time that Blues traded a skater and our sole return was a pick or picks, none of which were in 1st or 2nd round?

We have dealt couple goalies for picks, but each was unique circumstances. We got 3rd for Allen but he was a cap dump. We got a 5th for Nillson, but we only picked him up as injury replacement and this just replaced puck we dealt for him.

Last time we dealt skater for mid round pick was 2014!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That’s just good business. It’s much better to trade picks for players than vice-versa. Picks outside the first round have such low odds of becoming players anyway.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Usually picks after the 3rd round are swapped for lower/higher picks or used as conditional picks (exp Brown playing less than 30 games equates to the Blues getting a 4th) or are added as extra value to trade packages. or sometimes they are traded for a lesser player to a contending team. The issue for the Blues front is they are usually the contending team trading those away, or they sit on them.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If the Blues get routed in the first round or don’t make the playoffs, I think huge changes may be in order. I haven’t thought about it until now, but ROR could be on the table, especially with no NTC. He’ll be 32 for his next payday, and I would have to imagine he’d be looking for a 6+ year deal, which I don’t think DA would do unless the AAV starts with a 5, which I don’t think ROR would do.

Kyrou could also be a prime blockbuster trade candidate; salary considerations would make it difficult, however, unless other players (see above, for example) would also be on their way out or he’s traded for similar player on their ELC or their bridge contract.

I don’t see this team looking substantially the same next year if we don’t make the playoffs or aren’t at least competitive, but it’s more likely that those changes would be limited to VT being traded for a LHD.

Nonetheless, the ROR situation is one to watch, IMO. DA has shown that he’s not afraid to turn the page on existing captains, though he hasn’t yet traded one.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If the Blues get routed in the first round or don’t make the playoffs, I think huge changes may be in order. I haven’t thought about it until now, but ROR could be on the table, especially with no NTC. He’ll be 32 for his next payday, and I would have to imagine he’d be looking for a 6+ year deal, which I don’t think DA would do unless the AAV starts with a 5, which I don’t think ROR would do.

Kyrou could also be a prime blockbuster trade candidate; salary considerations would make it difficult, however, unless other players (see above, for example) would also be on their way out or he’s traded for similar player on their ELC or their bridge contract.

I don’t see this team looking substantially the same next year if we don’t make the playoffs or aren’t at least competitive, but it’s more likely that those changes would be limited to VT being traded for a LHD.

Nonetheless, the ROR situation is one to watch, IMO. DA has shown that he’s not afraid to turn the page on existing captains, though he hasn’t yet traded one.
:laugh: Kyrou is not getting traded.

Reactions: Spektre

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

ROR is such a tricky case. We clearly need more from him. He has been physically slowing down the past few years and this year is the year where his stats are starting to reflect that.

He is due a contract extension after next season. He is on the presumed downswing of his career based on age. He will likely want better money and term, assuming he doesn’t continue to slide statistically. We already have too many contracts taking guys significantly past their anticipated primes / productive cap value. Cap breathing room is in short supply and we have significant holes to fill / re-ups coming.

He plays the way we want our players to emulate. It’s tough to find guys that play like him. I think Thomas benefited from ROR being on our team and would continue to learn how to be a great two-way player under his mentorship. It will be very hard to find a shutdown center that can also point, unless we can see another large step by Thomas.

If we were not locked in on so many long-term, plus age contracts, I would be more skewed towards keeping him. But, that’s not the case and we have too many NTCs to easily retool.

A ROR return could make a pretty big difference in a heavy retool.

Conversely, next year is probably our best chance for a Cup for a while, baring a heavy retooling of our roster. So, do you keep ROR for next year in hopes that you can catch a second wind and strike gold again?

We have to look at this beyond just ROR too. Is Perron in or out? Can we move on from Scandella without parting with high quality assets? Is Binnington or Husso here or gone? What LHD can we bring in? What younger players are out there for a retool given what assets we have and can move?

It’s certainly complicated and creative moves should be considered. I am not sure conventional thinking gets this turned around from a personnel standpoint.

DataMan357

Mar 27, 2022
The Blue's should of traded Binnington when they had the chance. I would of loved
to see Max Domi in a Blue's jersey. We REALLY need to try and sign or trade for

Matthew Tkachuk after this season. Binnington and a few other players-draft picks

for Tkachuk. Or Binnington and O'Reilly plus picks for Matt Tkachuk. Then make Vladi our captain.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The Blue's should of traded Binnington when they had the chance. I would of loved
to see Max Domi in a Blue's jersey. We REALLY need to try and sign or trade for

Matthew Tkachuk after this season. Binnington and a few other players-draft picks

for Tkachuk. Or Binnington and O'Reilly plus picks for Matt Tkachuk. Then make Vladi our captain.

Do you think other GM's are forced to do any trade Armstrong wants?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Do you think other GM's are forced to do any trade Armstrong wants?
No, but using a larger, bolded font size, with “REALLY” capitalized along with poor writing makes me want to call DA and complain that he didn’t trade away Binnington.

Sorry, @DataMan357, we’re just piling on a little bit. Welcome to HFBlues!

Last edited:

DataMan357

Mar 27, 2022
No, but using a larger, bolded font size, with “REALLY” capitalized along with poor writing makes me want to call DA and complain that he didn’t trade away Binnington.

Sorry, @DataMan357, we’re just piling on a little bit. Welcome to HFBlues!
Sorry if I write in bold font. My old eyes are not what they use to be....😑

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Reading the thread on the main board, apparently Lyle was one of the last cuts in Bruins' camp this past fall and many Bruins fans are surprised by this move despite him having a pretty meh sophomore season in the AHL. Could be a nothing move (but we gave up nothing) or could be a decent find. Can't find much about his skillset so I'm not sure how his skating and physicality stack up to other 22 year olds, but he has good size (6'3", 211 lbs per NHL.com) and apparently has a booming shot. Not expecting the next Colton Parayko, but if they can get him to adapt to the structure he might be a guy who can displace Bortuzzo on the bottom pairing in a year or two and not look out of place if he has to move up to the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Blueston

cmcalum

Jul 12, 2018
I have made a number of comments about trading ROR this summer and as I have watched his play the last few weeks it has reinforced my belief that it needs to take place. That contract after next year will age badly in my opinion. He will want at least 7 Million per year over at least 7 years and I just can’t see how that would be a good use of our limited resources. It is clear that Thomas is our best offensive center by far and Schenn can be used in a dual role once ROR is moved. I know ROR helped us win our first cup but with so many long term contracts in place just can’t see us adding another one for an aging player. He is a very good all around center but he is slow and we need more speed there. I am hopeful we can move Binnington in the summer but that really is a boat anchor contract. We need to move him while we still can and get a reasonable return.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I have made a number of comments about trading ROR this summer and as I have watched his play the last few weeks it has reinforced my belief that it needs to take place. That contract after next year will age badly in my opinion. He will want at least 7 Million per year over at least 7 years and I just can’t see how that would be a good use of our limited resources. It is clear that Thomas is our best offensive center by far and Schenn can be used in a dual role once ROR is moved. I know ROR helped us win our first cup but with so many long term contracts in place just can’t see us adding another one for an aging player. He is a very good all around center but he is slow and we need more speed there. I am hopeful we can move Binnington in the summer but that really is a boat anchor contract. We need to move him while we still can and get a reasonable return.

ROR is far to important to trade. Especially considering he's signed for another year and our cup window is very much open.

cmcalum

Jul 12, 2018
ROR is far to important to trade. Especially considering he's signed for another year and our cup window is very much open.
We will see. Yes he is important now but how important in 2 or 3 years. When we are paying Krug, Binnington, Faulk, Parayko, long term contracts and will be paying big money to Thomas and Kyrou. I still want a trade to Calgary of ROR + for Tkachuk. Let’s get the home town boy home.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
We will see. Yes he is important now but how important in 2 or 3 years. When we are paying Krug, Binnington, Faulk, Parayko, long term contracts and will be paying big money to Thomas and Kyrou. I still want a trade to Calgary of ROR + for Tkachuk. Let’s get the home town boy home.

Tkachuk is a FA after next year and if he wants to come home he will. There's no reason to trade for him.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

cmcalum

Jul 12, 2018
Tkachuk is a FA after next year and if he wants to come home he will. There's no reason to trade for him.
Yes, I know that just like ROR, that’s why a trade makes sense. You have to come up with the money somewhere. If you sign ROR to a long term contract there won’t be enough money to go around. It’s better to have Tkachuk in his prime than an aging ROR on a long term contract.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
If we were to trade Barbashev in the offseason, what do you think he would be worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad