Confirmed with Link: Blues sign Beau Bennett (1 year @ $650k)

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
He actually could be a decent depth scorer, if he wasn't literally made of glass. Not gonna light up the league but he could produce some offense in a bottom six role.

I imagine he's pressbox bound and fills in when a more offensive oriented player is out of the lineup for a game or two. If not, probably waiver fodder and plays in the AHL.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I know this guy and Bortuzzo had a serious bromance in Pittsburgh.

Luckily for Edmundson and Fabbri, Bennett will never be healthy enough to even be at the rink to steal Borts away from their love trio.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
This signing really sets up an excellent Halloween couples costume. Bortuzzo will be the "sexy" nurse and Bennett will be the one in a wheelchair. Which by end of October he will already be hurt.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
hmm I like this actually, but that's a lot of depth forwards, no?

Berlgund is out for months, and I doubt Bennett is someone that we'll be worried about losing to waivers if it comes to that. Cheap depth.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Pretty they just signed Bennett to keep Berglund company on the IR

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Our press box is getting full and our AHL bound younger players don't have an AHL team.

Does Doug have another card trick yet to play?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's fine for a depth signing. Hopefully he can stay healthy and provide a little bit of scoring from our 3rd/4th lines.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
FWIW, someone on the Devils board (I check it out occasionally) says "Bennett had elite possession numbers." Then a whole debate ensues about it not translating enough into results.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's League minimum, if he is terrible in camp then he'll be waived. No risk aside from the small chunk of the budget.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He likely makes the team because he's a decent 3rd liner player if he stays healthy. And with Berglund out, he gives us a right-handed shot that we can substitute in and at least play in some of the games. It's a pretty solid signing.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He's a RW and more importantly, a right shot. Prior to today, the only right shooting forward on the team was Brodz.

He's injury prone but not a bad player. And he's signed to league minimum. Not exciting but not bad at all.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
FWIW, someone on the Devils board (I check it out occasionally) says "Bennett had elite possession numbers." Then a whole debate ensues about it not translating enough into results.

He did.

I really wanted to give him another year to see if they translated to actual scoring results, seeing how much rope we've given other sacks of ****.

I'm completely convinced our head coach doesn't care about possession, nor even knows who his best possession players are and aren't. I'm not even sure why we have an analytics department at this point. I'm also convinced with the recent firings of Tippett, Bylsma and Therrien that we might have the worst head coach in the NHL. He's bottom 5 at the very best. And every cup that Pittsburgh wins just makes him look more like a product of their stacked AHL team (when he was there) than him actually being good.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He's a RW and more importantly, a right shot. Prior to today, the only right shooting forward on the team was Brodz.

He's injury prone but not a bad player. And he's signed to league minimum. Not exciting but not bad at all.

Ditto to this. We always sign depth players to buriable contracts. This is the equivalent of Agostino, except he plays RW where we are thinner.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
He did.

I really wanted to give him another year to see if they translated to actual scoring results, seeing how much rope we've given other sacks of ****.

I'm completely convinced our head coach doesn't care about possession, nor even knows who his best possession players are and aren't. I'm not even sure why we have an analytics department at this point. I'm also convinced with the recent firings of Tippett, Bylsma and Therrien that we might have the worst head coach in the NHL. He's bottom 5 at the very best. And every cup that Pittsburgh wins just makes him look more like a product of their stacked AHL team (when he was there) than him actually being good.

It's a shame as the Devils are my Eastern Conference/#2 team generally. I was sort of hoping the Blues would look at Smith-Pelley, who at least on eye test had some good points, good at the net, down low, could score a goal. Or maybe I just caught his good games. Don't quite recall Bennett in particular last year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Beau is pretty funny.

For context, Beau played for the Pens in 2015-16 but didn't play enough to get his name engraved on the Cup. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad