Blues set to sign David Backes today

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by ShortHanded, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShortHanded

ShortHanded Registered User

"Maverick hockey player skates off to NHL
    Junior David Backes to sign with St. Louis Blues today
    By Shane Frederick
    The Free Press
    MANKATO —

David Backes spent the final two minutes of Sunday’s Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoff game in the penalty box.

As the clock was ticking down on Minnesota State’s season, it was also counting off Backes’ final seconds as a Maverick.

“I’d rather been on the ice for those few moments,†he said. “But the penalty came from just trying to get something done in that game. ... I was just trying to make things happen.€

Last edited by moderator Gee Wally: Mar 15, 2006
  2. Irish Blues

Irish Blues Still on hiatus

Actuary
    Fantastic news. He really didn't have much else to prove at Minnesota State, he needs to be challenged at the next level.

I guess we'll find out pretty soon if his upside is as good as some say it could be.

-- ADD: I think the Blues had to get him signed by something like August 15 or they lost his rights. It has something to do with the new CBA, where players who are seniors and unsigned by the team that drafted them as of a certain date become free agents. Expect a lot more announcements of juniors leaving college between now and late this summer.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  3. SneakerPimp82

SneakerPimp82 Registered User

very nice, good to hear he's making the jump.

4. Jori

Jori Registered User

Home Page:
    I thought it was August 15 after their senior year :dunno:

5. Irish Blues

Irish Blues Still on hiatus

Actuary
    I was left with the impression that the timeline was moved up now. Previously it had been June 1 after the player graduated. I'll try to dig up some info on this.

6. Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    As an ex-Aeronautical Engineering major, Backes has to be WICKED smart to have a 4.0 in EE while playing a collegiate level sport at the level he did!!! That's really kind of scary impressive.

7. Jori

Jori Registered User

Home Page:
    I thought under the old CBA teams held a college player's rights up to one year after they graduated. And now under the new CBA teams have until August 15 after completion of their senior year to sign the player before they become a free agent.

If you can find anything different, please post it; it would be nice to have some clarification.

8. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    I like Backes a lot.

I don't think he'll be a 2nd liner like some do, but he's a great, great prospect who's flown under the radar for a while.

9. ShortHanded

ShortHanded Registered User

I've seen him play about a dozen times at this point and personally I find it hard to argue against him being a 2nd liner when he peaks, if his development continues. He has really good, not great, hands around the net and is a smart player. He's got great size and his skating isn't going to hold him back like I first thought it would a year ago. He's improved in that area rather a lot. Again, hard to argue against his topping out as a 2nd liner. I don't see his game necessarily translating to the 4th line at all and believe he's destined to be a 25 goal scorer at the NHL level. Is he a point per game player? Most likely not, but stranger things have happened. If he were a bit quicker on his skates and got to the holes and lanes faster I'd see him as a gritty, top line player but he lacks that top speed and initial first step quickness, IMO.
    He's another in a group of about 5 or 6 Blues prospects that can and most likely will be a solid 2nd line player or 3-5 dman, along with guys like Soderberg, Nikitin, Polak and the usual prospects who get no love whatsoever on these boards. The Blues, if they lack a true "high end" prospect (which will change after the upcoming draft is complete) certainly have a great deal of depth in their prospect pool. Players that will be valuable contributors in the not-so-distant future. With the addition of Backstrom or Staal along with another first round pick ready to be added to the Blues group of prospects, the Blues will be fine in a couple of years. Helps to have Jarmo doing the drafting, too.

10. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    I think Backes is going to be a solid player. He does most everything out there. He should pan out to be a second line player. The future of the blues looks good. With another chippy NCAA in Oshie in the ranks. Should make for a tough second line to play against in the future. Some size, some speed and total fearlessness.

11. Gophers

Gophers Registered User

I hope Backes does well. He was one of my favorite players in the WCHA. He had a lot of grit and had a knack getting a timely goal.

12. Pete Rock

Pete Rock Registered User

Wow.

Good to see some Minny fans backing a Minny State kid. I've been waiting since the '03 to see this kid play as I heard so much about him.

We also don't get Minny State games up here in Mississauga.

13. mncdn

mncdn Registered User

What can I say he is a great player. Works hard and it is no surprise that he is moving to the next level. I played pick up hockey with him/against him a few times and he has some good strength.

Way to go David!!! Represent Spring Lake Park (HS) Well!!!

14. firstroundbust

firstroundbust lacks explosiveness

he has been a straight A 4.0 student since he was a 9th grader...

one of my friends has an EE degree...wicked smart, and the best he could do was 3.5...

let me put it this way...MNSU is screwed without Backes. He means that much to that team.

15. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    looking forward to seeing this guy play pro. i was hoping the canes would get him from the blues when there were rumours oneill might be going to you guys last season. stick through these crappy times blues fans, you guys have a pretty good future. as a whaler/canes fan, i know what its like to have to wait on your prospects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.