Confirmed with Link: Blues hire Konowalchuk as AHL head coach

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Cool. I have absolutely no opinion on this. I recall his name as a player from 20ish years ago but know nothing about him as a coach.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Seems to have bounced around between jobs outside of juniors a bit. Not sure if that's a red flag or not. I'll trust the Blues hiring process over me piercing a resume together from the NHL com news blurb.

I'm with Stl in MN. I really don't know enough to have an opinion.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Not sure how many candidates were out there, but this seems like a resume shuffling decision by the Blues organization. If they saw something in him that said: "This guy fits well in our player development plans." then that's a good sign for seeing quality prospects start filling holes in the Blues' roster. Otherwise, it could just be a cheap hire.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He's definitely got a mix of experience as a head coach, assistant coach, and pro scout between the WHL, AHL, and NHL.

One thing that is interesting is we seem to quietly be turning over the entire AHL staff, Daniel Tkaczuk had been the assistant under Bannister since 2018 and took over as the interim T-Birds head coach when Bannister became our interim, both he and Jordan Smith another Springfield assistant who was hired after his stint as the Soo Greyhounds Associate Coach are both absent from the Thunderbirds Hockey Operations page at the moment as of 5/22/24.

There is no announcement of them being fired, or parting mutually.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's definitely got a mix of experience as a head coach, assistant coach, and pro scout between the WHL, AHL, and NHL.

One thing that is interesting is we seem to quietly be turning over the entire AHL staff, Daniel Tkaczuk had been the assistant under Bannister since 2018 and took over as the interim T-Birds head coach when Bannister became our interim, both he and Jordan Smith another Springfield assistant who was hired after his stint as the Soo Greyhounds Associate Coach are both absent from the Thunderbirds Hockey Operations page at the moment as of 5/22/24.

There is no announcement of them being fired, or parting mutually.

i have no idea as to their coaching skills, but there has been talk that we might hire another coach (aside from guys leaving speculation, this was additive). might 1 or more of them be coming to st. louis?

Reactions: mk80

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
IMG_20240523_162435.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TK 421

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
i have no idea as to their coaching skills, but there has been talk that we might hire another coach (aside from guys leaving speculation, this was additive). might 1 or more of them be coming to st. louis?
Possibly they could be coming up to join Bannister, but I think there would have been an announcement of some sort. instead of their bio pages just scrubbed from the Springfield website

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Possibly they could be coming up to join Bannister, but I think there would have been an announcement of some sort. instead of their bio pages just scrubbed from the Springfield website

Doubtful. Bannister and Army have gone on record saying we are staying with the rest of the coaching staff that was in place this year. They could add one guy, I guess. But it not more than that,

Reactions: mk80

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Folks leaving quietly and their bio is wiped from the team site with no fanfare kind of concerns me. It's not necessarily bad or good or parkay, but it should at least raise an eyebrow.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Folks leaving quietly and their bio is wiped from the team site with no fanfare kind of concerns me. It's not necessarily bad or good or parkay, but it should at least raise an eyebrow.
I'm not sure what fanfare there really could be for an AHL assistant job. I couldn't name a single one of the AHL assistants for any team.

Reactions: Blueston

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm not sure what fanfare there really could be for an AHL assistant job. I couldn't name a single one of the AHL assistants for any team.
I mean 'fanfare' can mean those things as well as 'media attention' like the dictionary states, like maybe a press release which is absolutely common on all levels of damn near anything. But what do I know?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I mean 'fanfare' can mean those things as well as 'media attention' like the dictionary states, like maybe a press release which is absolutely common on all levels of damn near anything. But what do I know?
Have they issued press releases when hiring AHL assistants? I don’t remember ever seeing one.

I agree an announcement would be nice, but there also has to be an interested press who takes up the story. Maybe no one considers it newsworthy.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It is strange there was no mention, but I am not sure I find it concerning.
Is it even uncommon for this sort of thing to happen? I genuinely have no idea. :dunno:

Regardless this is so low of my list of concerns it barely registers haha

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is it even uncommon for this sort of thing to happen? I genuinely have no idea. :dunno:

Regardless this is so low of my list of concerns it barely registers haha
With nothing really to report on right now, I would have expected something small written. It’s not a big deal though. Could just we waiting to say something when the new coaches are announced.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Have they issued press releases when hiring AHL assistants? I don’t remember ever seeing one.

I agree an announcement would be nice, but there also has to be an interested press who takes up the story. Maybe no one considers it newsworthy.
A press release is common for assistant coach hires even at levels lower than the AHL. The Thunderbirds one for when Jordan Smith was hired is here for example.

There usually is some mention from a team when assistants are not retained, fired, or part ways mutually so the lack of anything on two coaches from Bannister's staff is more weird than concerning. Especially during the offseason where the team news is at a slower pace.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
A press release is common for assistant coach hires even at levels lower than the AHL. The Thunderbirds one for when Jordan Smith was hired is here for example.

There usually is some mention from a team when assistants are not retained, fired, or part ways mutually so the lack of anything on two coaches from Bannister's staff is more weird than concerning. Especially during the offseason where the team news is at a slower pace.
Thanks.

I wonder if their statuses are not completely determined yet. As in, maybe offered a different role in the organization and have time to consider. I can't think of any reason the management would silently fire the guys. Or maybe someone who was responsible for that type of press contact just screwed up.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Have they issued press releases when hiring AHL assistants?
Duuuuude...

Press Releases gets attention to the product and help get tickets or that product attention and sales, you'd be surprised some of the wild stuff that's had press releases. Hires, Fires, Sunshine and Sicknesses, Babies born and what the person or product is up to today, just to name a very small few. Hell, even high school sports and activities have press releases. To say it's extensive is an understatement.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks.

I wonder if their statuses are not completely determined yet. As in, maybe offered a different role in the organization and have time to consider. I can't think of any reason the management would silently fire the guys. Or maybe someone who was responsible for that type of press contact just screwed up.
I would assume their current contracts go to 6/30/24 so this is most likely the case. Maybe one or more of the assistants were in the running for the HC role. Now that they didn’t get it, maybe they’ve been offered to return as assistants or maybe they’ve been told they won’t be returning. But as of today, they’re still likely employed and exactly how the coaching staff which shake out will be clearer in July.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad