Half-Assed GDT: Blues Flyers: It's Happening!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My guess is this is the last we see of Perunovich-Kessel. Shot attempts are 26-3 in favor of the Flyers with that pairing on the ice. 26-3!!

EDIT-26-5 with Neighbours two attempts in the dying seconds.
and they weren't even our worst pairing!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I repeatedly posted that I thought having both Krug and Perunovich on the roster was a bad idea.
Now it has become a reality and it's a disaster. I hate what has become of this franchise's once proud blueline corps.

It’s completely ridiculous

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Does it seem like Buch is mishandling a lot of pucks and whiffing on shots. It seems like he is missing the final product this season

Reactions: Xerloris

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I had a really nice view from behind Hofer for two periods and 5 of our 6 defensemen actually played pretty good to really good
Faulk was putrid, over and over, (add multiple overs here) only surpassed by how horrid our forwards were defensively
the forwards were beaten to the puck all night, they were beaten to where they were supposed to be after our D won the puck, leaving the D with nowhere to go the whole freaking night

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
torts has the flyers looking real good and outworking their opponents

shaky game for hofer, he was under siege constantly, but still a couple he should want back and his rebounds all night were rough

sundqvist is shining, so at least there's that

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This nicely illustrates that while Kessel didn't make glaring errors last night, perhaps he ain't playing as well as it appears at first blush (as the shots for % someone else posted illustrates too).

1705427511354.png

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was going to make a post on that, while I like Kessel, sometimes not being noticeable just simply means you aren't doing anything positive either, and it's not really a good thing. That's kind of the issue with him and Tucker. Can they develop to bring positives to the ice or are they more 7/8/9 depth guys that can fill-in, but lack traits that define a role where they can drive positive plays in some form.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I was going to make a post on that, while I like Kessel, sometimes not being noticeable just simply means you aren't doing anything positive either, and it's not really a good thing. That's kind of the issue with him and Tucker. Can they develop to bring positives to the ice or are they more 7/8/9 depth guys that can fill-in, but lack traits that define a role where they can drive positive plays in some form.
I see the issues with Kessel and Tucker very differently.

Kessel looks like he needs more seasoning but I’ve been encouraged by what I’ve seen. His skating and shot are NHL quality, he has legit tools. He seems to be thinking/processing the game at a decent level but he needs more reps and development. I’m hopeful he can be a full time bottom pairing NHL dman next season and not look out of place.

Tucker simply lacks the necessary tools IMO, particularly skating. Good shot when he can get it off and you gotta love his physicality…but he just can’t seem to keep up with the play and handle the speed of the NHL. I’m rooting for him and would like to keep him as a cheap depth option, but I see his issues as very different from Kessel’s.

Admittedly tho I’ve missed a couple of Kessel’s games and haven’t dug into his stats so take this with a grain of salt.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea Tucker got burned way too many times to the outside early in the season for me to have confidence in his ability to translate into anything other then a bottom-pair fill in - that is to say unless his skating improves miraculously.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kessel and Tucker are completely different players, I agree, but my point is with both, as fans we'd repeat the talking point of, we didn't notice them, therefore they had a good game. Not having a positive impact on impact on the game and being unnoticeable is not a good thing, that's all my point is.

I agree that Kessel has more potential, but I don't want to be overly positive just because he isn't making noticeable mistakes.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Fair enough.

But I do think “not making too many noticeable mistakes” is reason to be optimistic about a kid who has only played 9 total NHL games and has averaged nearly 17 mins per game this season.

FWIW I did notice Kessel make several mistakes this game, and he did also help prevent a goal by taking out a flyers player trying for a back door tap in. Here’s hoping he can keep developing and making more positive impact plays.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fair enough.

But I do think “not making too many noticeable mistakes” is reason to be optimistic about a kid who has only played 9 total NHL games and has averaged nearly 17 mins per game this season.

FWIW I did notice Kessel make several mistakes this game, and he did also help prevent a goal by taking out a flyers player trying for a back door tap in. Here’s hoping he can keep developing and making more positive impact plays.
I don't want to be a Debbie downer on him or anything, he's someone I've always had hopes for and I'm still optimistic on him.

Reactions: stl76

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kessel and Tucker are completely different players, I agree, but my point is with both, as fans we'd repeat the talking point of, we didn't notice them, therefore they had a good game.
This. There's nights Vrana wasn't noticeable either [because he didn't do a f***ing thing besides drift around on the ice], but no one was saying "boy, I didn't notice Vrana out there tonight, he had a good game."

And I know, someone is going to bring up "forwards vs. defense" but the larger point remains: when you come away from a game and say "I can't recall noticing him out there" that's not a good thing. You should be able to point to something the guy did that sticks with you.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This. There's nights Vrana wasn't noticeable either [because he didn't do a f***ing thing besides drift around on the ice], but no one was saying "boy, I didn't notice Vrana out there tonight, he had a good game."

And I know, someone is going to bring up "forwards vs. defense" but the larger point remains: when you come away from a game and say "I can't recall noticing him out there" that's not a good thing. You should be able to point to something the guy did that sticks with you.

I don't think it is so much forward vs defense but more high e ent vs low event. Hockey is a zero sum game. If a play is good for team A it is bad for team B. Team A forward makes a nice move to beat a defender, team Bs defender just got beat. You want the net result to be more good and less bad.

Some players do a lot of noticeable good things like points, big hits but also more noticeable bad things. Then there are players who are lower event players. They stop plays by being in the right position, or bad by being out of position. That is less noticeable than goals and turnovers. But it is still a zero sum game.

You want the top of your lineup to be positive players the game. The bottom of the line up can be more even. Like a 4th line that cycles the puck, creates few chances but eats clock. That allows the top 6 time to rest, to keep the lead they generated until they can get back out.

So basically, when you say you don't notice a player, it is not that they were bad or good. Its that they were low event. But low event players can still be either bad or good. The wins and mistakes are just less noticeable when watching the whole game and not focusing on that one player. Versus high event plays that are focused on by replays and the broadcast team and generally involve the puck right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad