Blues Draft Review

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Blues were without their 1st rounder this year, as compensation in the Brent Seabrook offer sheet from last year, but the team did land eight players in total, principally by trading down in round 2.

Most GM’s come out claiming to be ecstatic, regardless of who they landed, but I’ll admit, I’m rather nonplussed by my draft overall. It’s not that I don’t feel I got value – in fact I think I made a trade on paper that represents great value – but in the end, I didn’t really land any player that I love, and I certainly lost out on a few guys I was hoping for. Among my “hoped for†were the likes of Justin Faulk, Kiril Kabanov, Markus Kruger or Jordon Weal at 40th, Joey Hishon at 48th, Tomas Kuhnhackl at 52nd, Kevin Sundher and Adam Almqvist at 78th.

In the end, I also went against my scenario planning of taking Hishon at 40th if others were off the board and in stead, did a last minute trade of that pick for the 52nd, 87th and 102nd. Those three picks landed me Kevin Hayes, Mathieu Corbeil-Theriault and Jonathan Johansson, respectively, so it will be interesting to see over time whether I received full value. Certainly Hayes alone could be better than Hishon, although I think he is much higher bust potential than Joey, whom I like quite a bit and am surprised at my sudden change in strategy at the 11th hour. Time will tell, but I’ve second guessed myself on that one, in particular given the guys I hoped would fall to those picks, for the most part, didn’t.

To the picks:

48th: Johan Larsson. Our scouts weren’t fooled into thinking Larsson’s production at the U18’s were an indication of a potential top line center, but at the same time, we see one of the youngest players in the draft getting better as he approached his 18th birthday next month and think he has the potential to be another David Bolland type of player, with a mix of skill to player with talent, but a two-way abrasive game that fits the NHL mold. Probably the one guy I really wanted, that I actually got.

52nd: Kevin Hayes: I generally shy away from dominant high schoolers, but Hayes did produce during the Hlinka tourney with the US U18’s and was just too good of a value pick at 52 to let him pass by. Was tempted to trade down again, but felt once was enough and had to pull the trigger. A risky pick and a bit of a project, but talent with size is worth the gamble late in the 2nd.

78th: Konrad Abelthauser: The Blues definitely went off the board here and probably should have traded down at this point. He most certainly would have been there at 87. But the offers were marginal, and this is a player the team really likes. Similar to taking Dustin Byfuglien in the 3rd round many years ago (he went in the 8th round to Chicago in the NHL), the Blues love his package of his frame and skill, and when you really like a player, you grab him. But frankly, I just wish there was another player on the board at this pick I loved at the time, so I could have taken a gamble on Abelthauser being there later, which he most assuredly would have been at either 87, and perhaps even 102.

87th: Matthieu Corbeil-Theriault
: Again, the Blues went against their general drafting philosophy of goalies, which is identify performance, rather than potential. Goalies are difficult as it is, but trying to convince yourself that a .883% is just because of his team, well, it’s a reach most of the time. But he is an athletic son-of-a-gun and had the highest upside on the board, so I swung for the fences a bit given it felt like a free pick from the previous trade down. There were a bunch of goalies I rated similarly at this point however, so I don’t feel like I stole him here.

102nd: Jonathan Johansson: A ‘safe pick’ as he is an overager who has grown into his body a bit and projects to be a solid two-way contributor. Hopefully the Wings take him in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NHL Draft to help me feel good about the pick. I’m underwhelmed by him, and was disappointed one of Holl, Brickley, Smith and Yogan didn’t last for me on day two.

167th: Nikita Zaytsev: The Blues continued their tradition of drafting mid to late round Russians, and given the past success drafting the likes of Grachev, Kugryshev, Goncharov and Orlov, I see no reason to change. The Russian factor doesn’t quite impact us as much in the HFNHL, given we can hold their rights indefinitely. That said, Zaytsev is arguably the top Russian d-man in this class (probably just behind Marchenko), and despite his awkward skating stride, fit in at the age of 18 in the KHL this season, which is pretty rare. You just don't grab that kind of talent in the 6th round by drafting a North American.

172nd: Sergei Barbashev. Voted one of the top Russians at the recently completely U18’s, he has produced at every level. He has a slight frame and will likely be in Russia for a while, but he is an extremely talented forward who could end up as a top 6 forward some day. Felt like I got great value v risk in the 6th round here, again.

175th: Jonio Ortio: Drafted last year in the NHL by Calgary, Ortio was anointed the top goalie for Finland at the WJC’s as an 18 year old, and while he was quite abysmal in the tourney, it was but a few games and he has lots of potential. Rumours have it he will join a WHL squad in the CHL next year, perhaps.

All in all, a number of safe choices, but a rather underwhelming crop if I do say so myself. Time will tell – perhaps this will be my best draft year, but I’m not betting on it.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'll admit, I was very disappointed that Larsson didn't drop to me at 50. And I was furiously trying to acquire an early Day 2 pick to grab Johansson, who - although I share your reservations - seems to be slowly starting to figure out his potential.

As it is, I feel the same way you do about my draft - certainly didn't steal anyone, and have at least one selection that leaves me... not quite cold, but certainly nonplussed.

At least your draft offers a couple of higher potential returns - my guys all max out as "steady roleplayer". :shakehead

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I'll say this...if there's a "Blake Wheeler candidate" in this draft, it's probably Kevin Hayes.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'll say this...if there's a "Blake Wheeler candidate" in this draft, it's probably Kevin Hayes.

... for guy who explodes and turns into a top-5 calibre selection? Or a guy who nelgects to sign with whatever sad-sack NHL team takes him and changes situations in mid-development?

Either way, I think that bodes well for Nick...

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
True, although changing my plan to take Hishon at #40 all of a sudden looks ill-advised. Not that he all of a sudden got more talented over night, but you know what I mean.

I was SO close to taking Hishon at 39. But I'd had my eyes on Ross for that pick. So I was torn. In the end I decided to let Brock, who knows a lot more about Hison, be the deciding factor. I dropped him a line, and he said, you like Ross, I don't like Joey. Bah. :( Still happy with the pick but now the Hishon watch is on full alert. But you win some, lose some, I was a winner with Skinner, even though I thought he might fall. Nice pick on Hayes - its' good when you get a first rounder despite not having a first rounder....

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
I was SO close to taking Hishon at 39. But I'd had my eyes on Ross for that pick. So I was torn. In the end I decided to let Brock, who knows a lot more about Hison, be the deciding factor. I dropped him a line, and he said, you like Ross, I don't like Joey. Bah. :( Still happy with the pick but now the Hishon watch is on full alert. But you win some, lose some, I was a winner with Skinner, even though I thought he might fall. Nice pick on Hayes - its' good when you get a first rounder despite not having a first rounder....

Wow, don't I feel pressured now :). To be honest we had three guys in mind for that pick and Hishon was our third choice!

We're definitly happy with our draft but I think we walked away with three boom/bust risky prospects.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad