Blues Draft Review

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1.19 Jakub Zboril: #15 on the Blues list, I’m a big fan of this two-way defender, and he was the player they coveted relative to their draft position:
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: Konecny or Merkley. While they dropped on draft day, see easy top 6 skills with terrific motors in both players.
FALL BACK: If Zboril was gone, one of Sprong or Boeser. A matter of upside, as both players also project as elite scorers, albeit with high risks
NHL: Drafted 13th overall by Bruins who apparently liked him even more than me.

2.49 Rasmus Andersson: #36 on the Blues list, was quite happy to get the bulky rear guard. His ploddy skating style turns off some, but he logs a ton of minutes and has been terrific against men on the big ice in Sweden, and against OHLers on Canadian ice. Doesn’t have #1 d-man upside, but could easily turn into a solid #3 and PP guy.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: J Larsson was #30 on my list, but got taken just before Rasmus.
FALL BACK: Wasn’t much left on my list behind Rasmus, thus the happiness in getting him. Other than JFK (see below) would have been Austin Wagner.
NHL: #53 by the Flames, their first pick in the draft after the dougie trade.

2.50 Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson. #46 on my list, so I really didn’t get great value at 50, getting my 46th ranked guy. The picks certainly were lined up with my list. I do really like JFK, but if I attended the draft, might have traded down. Like JFK a lot later in the round or early 3rd, but upside is not 1st line. Still, pleased to have him aboard.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: Meloche. Good on Douglas to trade up, because I would have grabbed him for sure, as he was #38 on my list, just behind Rasmus. Also would have taken Robin Kovacs, whom I thought would be there at #50 for sure. Surprised he was ranked top 45 by others, I say with the utmost respect given he was in my top 45.
FALL BACK: Wagner, Jens Looke or Wotherspoon. But really, after Rasmus, there was a real drop down on my tier of rankings, so likely would have traded the pick if I could have been there live. JFK I liked quite a bit more than those three guys, so would have really hurt to miss out on him.
NHL: #45 by the Bruins, who again, rank one of my guys higher than me.

4.113 Brad Morrison. This was a fist pumper, because I really coveted Morrison, having him ranked in my 3rd round (and almost late 2nd). Really hoped he would fall given his low ranking by many, including CSS. Just love the skill, and his production on the 2nd line of a very low scoring team also added to the hidden gem outlook. He’s only 150 pounds, so a long way aways, but has 1st round skill IMO.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: The only player I had higher on my 2nd day list was Graham Knott, and only had him ahead because I thought it possible I might get Morrison in the 5th.
FALL BACK: Either Soy or Nathan Noel. Was as shocked about Noel not getting drafted, as I was about Soy.
NHL: picked 112th by NYR.

5.122 Tyler Soy. Really like Soy, and his production and puck skills are tremendous. Similar to Morrison in some regards. Dumbfounded he was not drafted, which is saying something, because I’ve been a draftnik for 20+ years. Draft never ceases to surprise. This happens every year, but Soy was not the type of guy I thought would drop.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: He was #3 on my 2nd day list, so no one. Was pumped I got him in the 5th given my ranking.
FALL BACK: Noel or Alexander Carrier.
NHL: Undrafted

6. 171 Fredrik Forsberg. So by the 6th, my list had been sufficiently plundered, but I am quite high on Forsberg. He has tremendous skills and his production his right on par with many first day picks out of the Sweden. Hopeful his brother being in NA will make him long for crossing the ocean. Obviously the bloodlines didn’t sway NHL scouts.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: Jake Morrissey, who also went undrafted. Clearly I like the bloodlines.
FALL BACK: Adam Musil.
NHL: Undrafted.

6.172 Kiril Pilipenko: This was a pure wildcard based on talent in international play and production for his age. He really is one of the most skilled Russians in the draft, but probably the one least talked about every coming to NA. Not big or overly fast, but extremely skilled and productive, similar to Kucherov (albeit, definitely less heralded than Kucherov)
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: Michael McNiven, Cooper Marody, Alex Lintuniemi or Liam Herbst
FALL BACK: Luke Opilka.
NHL: Undrafted.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
2.50 Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson. #46 on my list, so I really didn’t get great value at 50, getting my 46th ranked guy.
WOULD HAVE TAKEN: Meloche. Good on Douglas to trade up, because I would have grabbed him for sure, as he was #38 on my list, just behind Rasmus.

Yeah, you and Matthew were picking right before me. I was surprised Meloche was still on the board at all, and really didn't like my chances of him still being available if I waited. Good to know my instincts were right this time. Hopefully he ends up being worth the pick I had to give up.

I like some of your sleepers as well, especially Forsberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad